Need a little help from my friends (and strangers)

Options
Hey guys:

So, I've been here for about 4 months or so, actually recording what I am eating and what little exercise I get. Most of the time socializing really. I have set a goal for myself to lose another 54 pounds by the end of 2011.

Lately, however, I have been absolutely starving. I want to eat all the time, non stop. I don't know what to do, if it is not enough calories, not enough protein or what. I know I don't get a lot of vegetables, I'm not a big fan of them. I stopped recording in my diary today, because I don't want to share what I've eaten so far today (it's only 2PM). I try not to eat a lot of pre-fab food, except for last night, but what I mean is that I don't drink protein shakes or supplements etc.

I am looking for advise and constructive criticism, that will help get me over this, because really it sucks right now.

Thanks a lot for your help :happy:

Replies

• Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I have a couple of observations/suggestions:

If you aren't exercising much, start. It's amazing how much better you feel about yourself and how it instills the discipline and desire to stick to eating healthy.

ALWAYS enter in your diary, even if it's bad. Being honest with yourself and accountable to others will help you reach your goals. Also, make sure you are hitting your net calories. Your body needs a certain amount of fuel to function efficiently.

Make sure you are eating plenty of protein and drinking plenty of water. The body can't tell the difference between hunger and thirst so, sometime when you think you're starving, you're actually thirsty and need to hydrate.

Also, you need some consistency. I looked at your diary and you are way over one day, way under the next, right on the next. If you try to be more consistent with your calories, it'll help you reach your goals. But again, exercise is SO important!! Start being a little more active and you'll feel much better.

I don't do protein shakes or supplements either but I stick to my calories and exercise and have been steadily dropping weight and inches and feeling more energetic. Make a commitment to succeed and lean on your support system - family, friends and MFP - when you have a tough day.

Hope this helps! Good luck!!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Hey Jewel,

I am not a big fan of veggies either! In fact, if I never had to eat another veggie in my whole life, I'd be okay with that. But they are so important. They are so good for us, good for our hunger, good for our digestive system, good for our overall health. I struggle to get them in big time, so I find ways to sneak them into my recipes and try to cook them news ways that make them taste better. I've also splurged this past week and got a "treat" for the veggies. Some full fat bacon ranch dressing that I will only consume 1 tbsp of at a time. But that dressing makes just about anything taste good. And if it helps get the veggies down, I'm okay with the extra amount of fat. Overall I don't really have a problem with high fat foods (except chocolate as we all know), so a little dressing isn't going to make or break me. As you might remember, recently, I learned that I really do like sweet potatoes, but only cooked a certain way. Maybe you're like that too. I remember Bran said she loathed broccoli until she started roasting it in the oven. Do you make (or even like) soups?

Love,
    Diane

XOXO
  • hoover17700
    hoover17700 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    By your writing I don't really know what type of lifestyle you live but when I have days where all I do is think about food, I get out of the house. Yesterday all I thought about was food. It wasn't as if I was all that hungry but I was preoccupied. I took a drive or today I took the dogs for a walk. Sometimes you need to get away from the situation or from what is at arms length. Do something other than eat. Definately have to find a way to eat some vegetables. :0).

Have a Great Day,
    Tracy
  • MMarcordes
    MMarcordes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!! All I do is think about food. I actually lost 55 pounds in 2010 (I reset all my info for 2011). So, I do understand. I literally try to set up a meal or snack for myself every couple of hours. I'm a bored eater - I eat whenever I'm not busy or doing something mindless. I eat breakfast at 8, snack at 10, lunch at 12, snack at 3, dinner at 6, snack at 8. I think if you set it up so that you know exactly what and when the next food intake is, you're not quite as hungry. I know you don't eat protein shakes - I don't either. If I don't chew my food - I don't feel like I've eaten. I've been eating Jimmy Deans D-Light sandwiches for breakfast. I usually have a flavored coffee for my snack. A Healthy Choice for lunch, along with a fruit and yogurt. Those frozen meals never feel like enough.

Anyway - I hope that little bit helps - Good luck!
  • trudypickles
    Options
    Im no expert either but yeah I would attemp to increase your exercise, the only thing I would question is, is there a possibiliy you may be pregnant? it can increase your metabolism and apetitite?? (That I am an expert in) x
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I think the first step is recognizing the trigger that makes you "feel" ravenous. Second is being real with yourself and going over your food log for the day to see where you can improve. I found when I was eating a lot of white carbs: pasta, rice, bread - I'd fill up quickly on it, then crash and be hungry again about an hour later. Those types of foods, if eaten at every meal will trigger the worst sugar cravings too. I'm not saying to go extreme, but cut some out and see how you start feeling.

I know you are drinking your water, but maybe add some benefiber to it, the extra fiber will be good at filling you up and keeping you full most of the day - plus who doesn't want extra fiber?
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My first advice would be is to be true to yourself and log it all even if it is bad. Second make sure you are getting enough protein and fiber they help you to not feel ravenous. Try to drink water before you eat anything that might help. :flowerforyou:
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I agree with Diane (of course :laugh: )... you may want to test out some different ways to cook veggies. There are certain ones that I ONLY like cooked one way (broccoli :sick: ). Maybe try adding a little real butter to the veggies, a little extra fat can be very satisfying!
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your responses! My original post was a little misleading. I make homemade tomato or mushroom and usually have that for lunch daily. I like salad in the summer, I hate cold food in the winter. I do snack on raw veg (carrots, mushrooms) with hummous. I guess what I was trying to get at is that I don't like cooked vegetables, I like them raw (which isn't bad). Also, right now I do get some exercise, but mostly only on the weekends, because it is dark and cold when I get home from work.

:heart: all of you!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    I agree with Diane (of course :laugh: )...

:smooched: :smooched: :smooched:
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    I agree with Diane (of course :laugh: )...

:smooched: :smooched: :smooched:

Bran is a suck up! :laugh:

Love you both :smooched:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    I'm okay with that! :bigsmile:
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Is there something brown on my nose??? How'd that get there?? :huh:

p.s. I detest a lot of raw veggies - not enough ranch dip in the world for those :laugh:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    p.s. I detest a lot of raw veggies - not enough ranch dip in the world for those :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Options
    :sick: Warm V-8 :sick: :tongue: