Cannot wear shoes

I just got a new foot tattoo, it is incomplete so I will be going to complete it October 12. I cannot wear sneakers for about 7-8 weeks as I have to let the tattoo heal; friction would cause the color to leave the tattoo.

Does anyone have suggestions on what exercise I can do? I have thought of yoga, bike riding, and weight lifting as I don't really need sneakers for those exercises.

Replies

• bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Um, what are you going to wear on your feet if you go biking if not sneakers or clip-ins? Same with lifting. Are you planning on lifting barefoot?:huh: Not the best idea IMO. Yes it will hurt if you drop a weight on your toe with shoes on but it will hurt a heck of a lot more if you're barefoot.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I lift weights barefoot a couple of times a week. I wouldn't worry about dropping them.

You could try some of the Fitness Blender videos.
  • sofulnaturalee
    sofulnaturalee Posts: 391 Member
    I have done cycling in flipflops and barefoot before. Just a thought.
  • leomcdee
    leomcdee Posts: 60 Member
    Jillian Michaels workouts, ballet (Ballet Beautiful is amazing and really hardcore), walking - I usually walk in comfortable, open flats or flip flops.

But the most important thing here is, can we see a picture of the tattoo? I freaking love tats.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Yes, you can weight lift without shoes on. I personally prefer it ( well with socks on).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I really like Barefoot Cardio by Ellen Barrett. Here workouts are a fusion of pilates, yoga, and dance. You can do most of her workouts barefoot.

Video Clip: http://www.collagevideo.com/products/ellen-barretts-barefoot-cardio

You can do Leslie Sansone Just Walk workouts barefoot too.....

Video Clip: http://www.collagevideo.com/products/leslie-sansones-walk-to-the-hits-radio-remixes

Along those same lines.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4IH12Piuf4
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    So, when I get my back tattoo, I can't wear a bra or shirt for 7 to 8 weeks?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    I have lifted barefoot before. I lived to tell and I still have all my toes.

However, 7-8 weeks seems excessive. I have a foot tattoo (on the top) and I think I went maybe a week with it uncovered (flip flops, mary janes, etc) But I guess it depends on where yours is.
  • StephanieT0602
    StephanieT0602 Posts: 58 Member
    I found a couple hour long zumba videos online and did those barefoot when I injured my toe earlier this year.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    I lift at home. Yes, I do it barefoot but I'm VEEEERRRRY careful! The last thing I'd want to do is injure a foot or toe. Takes way too long to heal.

Great suggestions from everyone so far. My preferred version of "cardio" is weight lifting at home (no shoes) with no rests between sets and planks also interspersed. Keeps my heart-rate up just as much as other traditional cardio.
  • LAMypie
    LAMypie Posts: 127 Member
    swimming. You can either swim laps, tread water, walk around the edge of the pool, or take an aquatics class. Great workout and isn't going to damage your new tat.
  • jkramsey42
    jkramsey42 Posts: 22 Member
    Biking in flip-flops or bare feet is no bueno. If you wipe out, you could catch your feet in the chain or spokes and get seriously hurt-- especially if you're riding at a pace for burning calories, 10MPH+.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Wow. I didn't realize I was the only person who's not a proponent of exercising barefoot. I get doing yoga barefoot but I would no way lift weights or cycle barefoot. There have been plenty of times a weight has slipped out of my hand and has come close to smashing down on my toe. I've smashed my fingers with them when putting them back and that hurt a lot.

I also couldn't imagine cycling barefoot or in flip flops. :noway: Just thinking of my foot slipping off the pedal and getting caught in the spokes makes me shudder.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Um, what are you going to wear on your feet if you go biking if not sneakers or clip-ins? Same with lifting. Are you planning on lifting barefoot?:huh: Not the best idea IMO. Yes it will hurt if you drop a weight on your toe with shoes on but it will hurt a heck of a lot more if you're barefoot.

The old pink Chuck Taylors do not provide any more protection than being barefoot. I've read many things that say lifting barefoot is great.
  • bohoT
    bohoT Posts: 37 Member
    I have a very intricate foot tattoo and I only missed 3 days of exercise and tennis shoe wearing. I covered the tattoo in a great deal of Aquafor lotion (something like that, I might have the name slightly off), then covered it in plastic. If at any point I felt some friction I just reapplied. I have no fading on my tattoo. It was a little painful, just because my foot was so tender but only for a day or two. Just my experience!
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    So, when I get my back tattoo, I can't wear a bra or shirt for 7 to 8 weeks?

No, no you can not. 100% authoritatively, no.
  • the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member

... I always lift barefoot.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    barefoot cardio is a great one.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Exercising barefoot and even running barefoot can really build strength in your calves and achilles.

I am less concerned about how you're going to workout - I mean like you posted there are plenty of options for working out barefoot. Do you work or go to school or like... leave the house? Wtf are you going to wear then?