Officially Registered for my first 5k!!

Options
I have been running for a little over a month.. My first mile without stopping was 19:10.. but I did it!

Now after being committed I can run a mile in a little less than 12 minutes consistently! Pretty proud of that..

My first 5k is in 2 weeks! I am so excited!

Tips? Advice?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I did mine this summer. And have not ran since :) Sorry, that was not helpful.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I have been running for a little over a month.. My first mile without stopping was 19:10.. but I did it!

Now after being committed I can run a mile in a little less than 12 minutes consistently! Pretty proud of that..

My first 5k is in 2 weeks! I am so excited!

Tips? Advice?

Pray for a nice morning weather forecast and have fun. You've already done all the hard stuff. The race itself isn't bad compared to what you've accomplished.
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I jsut registered for my first, but mine isn't until November. Still at ~15 minute mile. I'm hoping to get to 12/13 minutes by race time.
  • jim_just_jim
    jim_just_jim Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Nice ! I did my first just a few years ago. Caution: they can be addictive ;) Good luck !
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Congratulations- and good luck! I have not run a 5k in years, but trust your body and don't push too hard (just the first of many 5ks hopefully!), maintain hydration, and have a ton of fun! I also recommend warming up and stretching (pre/post), especially as you are new to working into the distance. I hope you have a great time!
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I ran my first and only a little over 3 yrs ago with my daughter. I had the best time. Seeing all the different people, different ages...some even with dogs and strollers was really inspiring. I ran my best time to date that day. I really need to do another! Enjoy it, go at your pace and cross that finish line!!
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If you can safely, I'd suggest running the route in the next week to see how you do... I want to do the 5k here but part of it is over the ICW bridge, a HIGH HILL of a bridge so I'm thinking I need to test myself on that difficult part beforehand so I know what I can handle, but that's just me.

I envy you, you go girl I know you will do great!
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You're going to rock it! I too would suggest getting in a similar type of run before the data as "prep". Good luck!
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the non-stop mile! Great job!

I did a 5k (my fourth total, I think - but my second since starting my weight loss in earnest) this past weekend and it was a blast!

If you can go with friends - someone with your race pace - I find that really helps. Even if you don't talk when you run (my boyfriend can't talk when he runs), I find it's helpful to have someone side-by-side. Or even if you're on your own, you'll find yourself running with the same group of folks, usually. I love to try to stick with someone and keep them in sight or, if they're okay with it, strike up some hardly possible conversation, ha ha!

Also, take in the atmosphere and the scenery. Races have a way of making even the most familiar paths seem so new and different that it's like an awesome new adventure. :D

There's a tip that my first running teachers (took a course through a local store on my first 5k) really resonates with me:

"The race is not a test. It is a celebration of all the preparation and training that you've put into getting ready for it."
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Races are fun!

A few tips: if you run with earbuds, take them out at the beginning and soak up the atmosphere. In fact, its best to keep one out or keep the music low in case you need to hear instructions from the race director, or people are trying to pass.

-don't line up at the front unless you're planning on winning; races are seeded with the fastest up front. Even if there is no 'official' seeding, its good form to let the bunnies go first.

-stay to the right if you are walking

-its better to get there too early than too late.

-lay out your things the night before, so you're not rushing around that morning

-don't try anything new on race day!
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
    I'm a fairly new runner as well. I'm training for my first 10k. My advice is to take your time! You can do it!

73529108.png
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll!! I am very excited! I'm gonna keep practicing hard and run the course one night before the race!
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Get there early to park, pee, and warm-up. The less hassle you have getting to the start, the easier it will be on you.

Eat lightly before the race. Maybe a muffin with jelly or a bagel. Whatever you typically consume before a "distance run" that does not cause you any problem is workable.

Don't try new stuff on race day. A 5K is short compared to those of us who run marathons, so things like chafing are probably less severe over the short distance. But new shoes or new socks that don't work for you can bring 5,000 meters of misery. Whatever works for you during training for any distance should work for you on race day. Never do anything different from what works during training are the first six-rules of running a race of any distance.

Note: I just ran a 5K sandwiched in between two half-marathons, for three weeks of racing in a row. They are all great training runs for my next marathon.

Don't stretch cold muscles. I don't know if you stretch before running (I don't). Take some time to warmup with a walk and a slow jog at least 15 minutes before start time. You want your muscles and your heart ready to go.

As your first race, there may not be a problem getting your heart up to speed. Mine was completely opposite. I ran my first 10K in decades in 2013 with more than 30,000 "close friends." My heart rate (according to my heart rate monitor) slowed as we came up to the start line in a wave start. I started that race with a heart rate of 60 beats per minute.

If this race has pacers, choose the right pace for you. Being in front and getting rundown by faster runners is no fun for them or you at the start.

Don't go out too fast. Biggest mistake of runners for all distances. Your overall 5K pace is going to be at least 30 seconds per mile slower (on average) than what you can run a single mile at your fastest pace if you are trying to "go for it." I'd suggest not going for it too much, but rather take in the race experience the first time.

If the temperature is warm or humid, unless that is what you've trained in, slow down even more.

Most important of all....enjoy the moment and the experience. You may want to do it again, but there is only one "first time." Remember, you want to finish the race the same day that you start it.

Finally, don't feel that you have to move up to greater distances unless its something you really want to do. I know people who run nothing but 5Ks and maybe the occasional 4-mile races. They don't run longer distances, focusing only on the shorter distance to make their mark and to have time in their lives for other things. As you can imagine, longer distances require greater investments of time and effort.

Congratulations and good luck!
  • bradsbaby1996
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the great info!!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Run your own run ... by now you've got a good idea what too fast is ... don't go too fast on event day.

It's your first one ... don't spend the whole run watching your watch ... trust your body and go by feel. No matter what, you'll set a personal record with this event. I usually run a few seconds per mile faster in an event than training with the combination of a crowd, adrenaline, etc.

Get there early. Event morning is not the day to figure out that parking is a beast and the bathroom lines are long. Think ahead.

Most of all ... enjoy it.
  • stevemattmom
    stevemattmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Way to go! My first race was a 5K and I just completed my first half-marathon. I just added an extra half mile each week.

You can do it!
  • KatesBadAss
    KatesBadAss Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ENJOY IT!! I still remember all the feels I had running my first 5k along with my 5 year old daughter who ran the last half mile or so with me....I had tears rolling down my face and never thought in a million years I would even run, yet alone run a whole 3 miles!

Congrats and you'll do fabulous!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Rest rest rest and drink drink drink. :smile: The night before my first 5K we were out until midnight and I paid for it dearly during the race. I had too much beer and too much dancing. The race was part of a weekend festival. From then on I learned to get to bed early, especially 2 nights prior to the race because you'll be so excited the night before. Be sure to start hydrating early, don't wait until race day.

Get there early and walk around and check everything out. It's like a big party. Give yourself plenty of time to warm up and use the bathroom.

My daughter ran with me the last 5K I did and she is a XC runner and I kept telling her to go on and get a PR. She refused to leave me for the first mile, but she was distracting because she likes to talk LOL. She finally took off after a mile and I really perferred the solitude of running my race and enjoying everything around me. But there was no better feeling than seeing her standing at the finish line waiting for me. BTW I PR'd because she had me running the first mile about a minute under my normal pace LOL

Like others said have fun and just enjoy the run/walk.
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll!! I am very excited! I'm gonna keep practicing hard and run the course one night before the race!

Congrats on making it this far! Seeing progress is exciting!
    Running the course before the race is probably a good idea, but I would not suggest doing it the night before. I would suggest taking a day or two before the race off from running.
    Also, on the day of the race, I would suggest not starting off too quick. My first 5k was last year and with all of the excitement and adrenaline running through me, my first mile was probably my quickest mile I've ever run... but, by the time I got to the third mile, I was wiped. I finished, but it was a struggle.
    Enjoy the moment! The feeling of accomplishment when you finish your first race... there's nothing quite like it!
  • bradsbaby1996
    Options
    No I mean just a night in general before the race! It's in town and the only time you can safely run there normally is at night!

Thank ya'll for all the great tips!