Low Carb/ketosis and pregnancy!

Hi all! I just found out that I'm 4 weeks pregnant! *happy dance*
Of course I'll consult my doctor at my appointment tomorrow, but is a low carb diet safe? I know I'm in ketosis because of the energy and keytone odor. I keep under 50 carbs a day. I'm 177 lbs, so it's not like I'm skin and bones. I am prediabetic, and since starting the low carb way of eating, my blood sugar has been fantastic!
I really feel great, and my husband does too! (He's type 1)
Thanks for any input!
Liz

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Your doctor will be able to tell you what sort of foods you should be eating, so it's great that you know you want to figure it out before you visit. They'll probably start you on prenatal vitamins. :)

Generally, if you don't take in enough of something, the body will leech it from you and give it to the baby. So, that's pretty good. But you really have to be careful to eat right so that you both do well. Eat a good variety of healthy food.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!! :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Congratulations!

Yep, you need to discuss your pregnancy dietary plan with your doctor.
  • I'm wondering what happened with this. As far as I know, I'm not pregnant. However, with my last pregnancy I ended up with gestational diabetes and had to watch my carbs. Right now, being on a low carb diet, I've been researching low carb eating during pregnancy. I've been looking at alternate low carb foods that would supply any vitamins and nutrients that may come in carb loaded foods. There is research out there that shows a lot of positive effects of staying low carb and staying away from processed foods and I think if I do become pregnant during my weigh loss, that I could maintain the weight I've lost. I just don't do well eating other foods and I try to keep my veggie intake 75% of my daily carb consumption.

Soo, how's the pregnancy/ diet going?