Appetizer to Bring to an Afterwork Function?

Options
Hi all, my work group is going on an afterwork "2 hour cruise" and its a bring your own food event. So everyone in my group has been asked to bring an appetizer/finger food to share. I'm trying to think of an app that will be 1) easy to transport, 2) will not need to be heated up/served hot, and 3) is "diet" friendly. I want to have something that I can enjoy and avoid the potential temptations that others will be bringing with them. I also don't want something that is going to break the bank (let's get real-I don't like them that much).

Any suggestions? I'm currently thinking hummus plate? Or mozzarella and tomato with balsamic vinegar skewers. Any other ideas?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    "Crudites" -- cut up veggie platter -- carrots, celery, and a dip. Want to "look like you fussed?" Stuffed celery. Really want to be lazy? Pickles and olives. Homemade? Marinate mushrooms.
  • tess77h
    tess77h Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Raw vegetable tray with low fat dip or no dip at all. You can use grape tomatoes, cucumber slices, radishes, baby carrots, raw zucchini, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, red, orange, yellow, green sweet peppers, etc. Maybe put some olives on.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    - Sliced English or Armenian cucumbers with an avocado dip or guacamole or hummus.

- Cucumber sandwiches...a small piece of turkey (chicken, beef, whatever you like), a small piece of cheese, a small piece of tomato and a dab of tzatziki (or mayo, or whatever condiment you like) between 2 slices of English or Armenian cucumber. Toothpick each sandwich. I made these for a thing at work one time and they went over big.

(can you tell I love cucumbers?)

- Dried apricots & cheese...Halve apricots lengthwise, put a 1/2 tsp of a ricotta fresca (or whatever creamy cheese you like), put a dab of honey, and top it with a sliver of almond.
  • S_Murphree
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com. They have alot of choices. I'm thinking light spinach dip.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi all, my work group is going on an afterwork "2 hour cruise" and its a bring your own food event. So everyone in my group has been asked to bring an appetizer/finger food to share. I'm trying to think of an app that will be 1) easy to transport, 2) will not need to be heated up/served hot, and 3) is "diet" friendly. I want to have something that I can enjoy and avoid the potential temptations that others will be bringing with them. I also don't want something that is going to break the bank (let's get real-I don't like them that much).

Any suggestions? I'm currently thinking hummus plate? Or mozzarella and tomato with balsamic vinegar skewers. Any other ideas?

Mmmmm......the cheese & tomato skewers sound yummy!

Fruit skewers with strawberry yogurt dip.....pineapple chunks/grapes/melon

Salsa & baked chips (kinda boring)
  • racronan
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I think the crudits could go well with the hummus recipe I just found. I feel like I have to provide some dip as the other people would prob complain otherwise :)
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You can try wrapping thin sliced ham or turkey around vegetable spears: asparagus, cucumber, celery