Resisting Treats at Work

Options
I'm sure my workplace is not the only one with treats sitting around almost daily. Normally I'm able to resist just fine with my own healthy foods that I bring in (carrots, grapes, protein bar, etc) but today someone brought in the most amazing carmel cheesecake and I helped myself to two servings (I actually don't regret it, because it was seriously THAT good), but I would love to hear how everyone else handles (or doesn't handle) these everyday temptations?? What (normally) works for me is to not even have a little bit, because then my mindset is blown for the rest of the day. :grumble:

Replies

• klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Usually I resist, or take the smallest piece (and scrape off frosting if it is cake). Or skip lunch and just eat the treat instead (only for those really good ones, like that carmel cheesecake sounds heavenly).
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    First, I pre-log and pack my food every work day. It is much easier to say no to unexpected treats in the break room knowing that my calories for the day are already accounted for, I have plenty of food, my treats are planned, and I don't need to deviate from that. Not one bite because, like you, one tiny taste has a tiny tendency to derail my careful planning.

That said....

If it's worth it, I make room for it.

Very rarely is it worth it. Crappy donuts from a vendor? No way. But if it was a homemade amazing caramel cheesecake? I'd absolutely have a small slice.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of time, the treats that are out are not ones that I really want. I don't like grocery store birthday cake, cookies, etc. So that's all easy to resist. If it's something that actually looks good, I'll have a bit. That happens maybe once a month.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I was about to say I have no advice for you because I wouldn't be able to do it, but I remembered! We keep these Yum Earth organic lollipops at work. Yes, they have sugar and yes 3 is about 70 calories but they really curb my cravings for sweet stuff.
  • keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    this happened to me today at work, I walk to the other building and low and behold a four pack of chocolate cupcakes sitting on the table. I thought to myself the devil himself sitting on the table. Oh but i am proud to say I left the devil himself sitting right on that table and came back to my building and cut up my cucumbers and had my snack. It is hard but I only eat unhealthy when I feel they are truly worth it and I have had chocolate cupcakes before. I thought to myself they are probably old because people sit stuff out to get rid of them. I only waste my calories on things that I don't usually get to have.
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    When I first started watching what I was shoving into my mouth, avoiding work treats was hard. We have regular birthday and holiday celebrations. But once I got in the mindset of eating better I always asked myself if the treat was worth it. Usually the answer is no, but if I think it is I sit on my decision to have a small piece, bite, etc. If I still want it about an hour or so I go for it an log it.

Usually in the beginning the answer to "is it worth it" was always yes, thankfully a majority of "yes's" are now "no's".
  • teabee17587
    Options
    i pre log before i go out to but sometimes i feel that people dont like me unless i eat what they bring in... yes it sounds stupid but once someone home made something and brought in some food and i didnt want any so she and a few others were off with me the whole day but when i eat what they do im suddenly liked
    First, I pre-log and pack my food every work day. It is much easier to say no to unexpected treats in the break room knowing that my calories for the day are already accounted for, I have plenty of food, my treats are planned, and I don't need to deviate from that. Not one bite because, like you, one tiny taste has a tiny tendency to derail my careful planning.

That said....

If it's worth it, I make room for it.

Very rarely is it worth it. Crappy donuts from a vendor? No way. But if it was a homemade amazing caramel cheesecake? I'd absolutely have a small slice.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Eat, log, run, repeat
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    What about just eating the best treats, not the every day ones?

My coworker'son owns a bakery and depends on us for damage control. It's VERY hard !!!
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I try but our fedex guy is adorable. :laugh:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    My workplace has the worst food culture ever. There is a huge array of treats lying on top of various filing cabinets on a daily basis. For example, we have cake for *any* occasion. Birthdays, birthdays of offspring, going on leave, returning from vacation, its sunny today, i've been at the department for 2 years, project completed on time, even resignations. I mean really, resignation cake?

Most days I manage to ignore the treats. If necessary I will move stuff out of my direct line of sight.

If I do partake, my strategy is to break off a tiny bite size serving. That way, I am forced to think about whether it is really worth having that second or third bite.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i pre log before i go out to but sometimes i feel that people dont like me unless i eat what they bring in... yes it sounds stupid but once someone home made something and brought in some food and i didnt want any so she and a few others were off with me the whole day but when i eat what they do im suddenly liked
    i thought i was the only one! holy crap eveyone used to think i was being uppity or something for not eating when they do the birthday stuff every month. it's really annoying.

if it's something i really like, i'll eat it. probably more than i should. but i workout pretty hard, so one screw up a month doesn't kill me.i just try not to make it a regular thing.
  • mmellets
    mmellets Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It's rude to say NO to someone who expended few hours baking something to share it with you at work, I would take at least a small piece, it not gonna kill me. But when my buddies decide to have a pizza party at work, that smells like. Ordering 16 Large pizzas for 13 guys was a huge miscalculation...
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If i really wanted some, i'd have some. Majority of what we have in work i could have at home so don't bother. I did have a huge Oreo cupcake last week at work though.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    This was a big issue for me a couple years ago when I started watching what I was eating. Seemed like every time I blinked someone was bringing in a box of doughnuts or passing around a box of chocolates. Having healthy snacks that I enjoyed on hand was a huge help then. I'm not so stressed about it all now though. If I really want a doughnut (or whatever is brought in), I'll work it in the daily plan, but I no longer feel deprived if I choose to not eat the doughnut (or whatever). I also no longer feel obligated to eat something someone brought in.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It's rude to say NO to someone who expended few hours baking something to share it with you at work, I would take at least a small piece, it not gonna kill me.
    That is sweet of you, but as one of those people who love to bake, I am not offended if someone doesn't try what I bring in.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    Options
    I'm lucky: we don't keep a lot of food in general, let alone treats at my job.

I also don't like to eat a lot while I work, as my job is on the physical side (I'm a massage therapist).

I find that if I eat too much at work, I feel heavy and I don't move as well.

That makes it easier for me to say no.

But I realize not everyone has that luxury or situation.

If it was me, I'd either take a small portion and split it with someone else or not have any at all.

I also cut down on hunger by making sure I'm well hydrated.

Sometimes I chew gum or have a mint during massage sessions.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I decide if the treat is worth having a harder workout/smaller dinner, then i eat or don't accordingly. Today I had a donut at work. It was 370 calories. I had salad for dinner and took the dogs for a walk. I came out pretty much square on for calories as a result. However, I'm a little hungry. I would have liked a bigger dinner. Lesson learned. Usually I try to take a half of whatever since serving sizes tend to be insane.

The best advice i could give is to log the item before I eat it. If it's homemade, overestimate the calories since you never know if they used pure lard lol.
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's rude to say NO to someone who expended few hours baking something to share it with you at work, I would take at least a small piece, it not gonna kill me. But when my buddies decide to have a pizza party at work, that smells like. Ordering 16 Large pizzas for 13 guys was a huge miscalculation...

I agree with this. If someone's gone to the effort, I'd feel seriously unmannerly if I refused. Watching my calories isn't a good enough reason to hurt someone's feelings, in my book.

After a few bad days and false starts, I began budgeting calories for unplanned snacks when planning my meals. I began with around 200-300 calories budgeted, but as time goes on and I'm less drawn to the sugary snacks, I'm finding that I need less calories budgeted. I'm currently running to around 100-150. I just realised I've halved the amount, and I'm feeling pretty good about it!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It is not rude to say no to someone who made treats and brought them.

We have a few bakers on my team and they are always bringing in goodies. I just decline politely and move along.

Sometimes it is very hard. But usually if I start with one, then I want another.

I will visualize what my goals are...lose these last few pounds, fit back into my goal wardrobe, etc. then it is easier to steer clear.