Cleaning(Light/Moderate)(Heavy/Vigorous) What's the differen

Options

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If you want to cook the books in your exercise diary, feel free to do so. Don't forget you can log billiards, fishing, and playing darts too.
  • FemWeight
    Options
    Just started tracking yesterday. How do you know what is considered light/moderate or heavy/vigorous? Trying to track "exercise" and as a Stay at Home Mom I clean quite a bit and need to know how to track it correctly. Thanks!

Jess

I'd just like to say.. Thank you for asking this question. I've been meaning to ask it but kept forgetting lol :D
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I never log chores unless it isn't part of my regular schedule of doing the dishes, mopping, running errands, walking to the bus stop etc. Unless you have a maid and are one with the couch all day, this is just going about your daily routine. To me the amount of activity like this you do determines whether you are sedentary, lightly active, very active etc. I do think it would reasonable to count the extraordinary things like spending the day doing hard labour such fencing in your yard, moving, planting trees, etc.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Calories Burned Doing Housework Calculations based on a 150 pound person.

Activity
    #Of Minutes
    Calories Burned

They missed out one:

Putting duvet back into duvet cover

:mad:
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Calories Burned Doing Housework Calculations based on a 150 pound person.

Activity
    #Of Minutes
    Calories Burned

They missed out one:

Putting duvet back into duvet cover

:mad:

The effort I have to muster to get round to doing some of these activities surely must mean they burn a thousand calories, right?

To the OP, I'd set your activity level to lightly active, as others have recommended.
  • mysweetjenna
    mysweetjenna Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job (therefore my setting is on sedentary) and only do housework in a long stretch on the weekend, including laundry with the machines in the basement, so I count these things because I do not do them regularly, and I usually work up a sweat. I keep it at light/moderate though, and round down on the time to the closest 15 minute increment. I also count grocery shopping since I only do it twice a month.

I also work out five days a week and rarely eat back my exercise calories, so I don't think it harms me too much to count these things :)
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Yay! My worthless $.01 $.01 and a question!

I housekeep at the hospital, with basically a 15,000+ sq. ft. building to maintain on my own. In an 8 hour shift, I lift between 600-800lbs of dirty linen (in 25-40lb increments ) and a dumpster full of trash from 90+ 13gallon cans. About half the floor care is mopping (with swiffer style mops, they did away with string mops for hygenic purposes and shoulder injury reduction) and half vacuuming which all basically gets done daily. Lots of dusting and high/low surface wiping daily as well as overhead dusting once or twice a week. When I first started, it was almost 7 miles of walking per shift (according to the ped on my phone) but since I've honed my routine it's dropped to 5.5-6 miles. I work M-F 15:00-23:30. I also workout 4-5 days per week (I also keep my gym time to M-F) doing 5x5 with 20 minutes interval elliptical cardio MWF, and 30+ minutes of the same cardio on T/Th. When I'm not gyming or working I can be kind of a slouch. Okay, basically a total slouch 2 days/week.

I have my activity level set to "active" and my estimated exercise at 40 minutes x 4 days. This is giving me 1940 calories for a 2lb/week loss...which is more like 1.5, but I'm not complaining. I actually reduced my activity level to "light" a while back which dropped me to 1600 calories (to increase weight loss), like the Good Housekeeping/Self magazine "ideal" numbers, but I felt I was selling myself short after a bit and chnaged it back. I'm having massive hair shedding issues and read that too low of a deficit could make that worse so I freaked and felt I needed more calories. My TDEE is around 2800. I don't record my exercise here or eat back my calories.

Was I cheating my body when I dropped my cals lower? Does it seem like I'm on the right path again with numbers now? Activity level seem correct? The 1900 range definitely helps with hunger and I'm hoping it will also help to minimize shedding (I've also sought med advice for the hair issues). I'd love to find a balance in which I don't end up fat and bald for the rest of my life.

ETA: I'm 245 and would like to get to a strong 160-165 or so.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If you count cleaning your house as exercise, you don't understand exercise.

19brgg2irx9hggif.gif

Please don't count cleaning as exercise.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    . I'm having massive hair shedding issues and read that too low of a deficit could make that worse so I freaked and felt I needed more calories. My TDEE is around 2800. I don't record my exercise here or eat back my calories.

Was I cheating my body when I dropped my cals lower? Does it seem like I'm on the right path again with numbers now? Activity level seem correct? The 1900 range definitely helps with hunger and I'm hoping it will also help to minimize shedding (I've also sought med advice for the hair issues). I'd love to find a balance in which I don't end up fat and bald for the rest of my life.

ETA: I'm 245 and would like to get to a strong 160-165 or so.

Your TDEE is about 2800. You were eating 1600 calories. That is approximately a 43% calorie deficit. Way too aggressive, and as you found out, not healthy. A typical deficit should be 20%. The very obese can afford to take a bigger cut, with 85 pounds still to lose you might consider a 25% cut. So, 25% of 2800 would be 2100 calories per day. Don't eat back exercise calories. This % cut will have to get smaller when you get closer to goal weight.
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am listed as sedentary. That is because I am. I do sit all day at a desk. When I go to the market and come home and do chores. it is more than I would do after eating my supper.

I once watched my 2 granddaughters and that is constant activity compared to what you are used to. The bending, the serving, the cooking, the the fill in mom! I raised my kids 35 years ago. My body is not used to all the activity. I logged it and it was quite high for the day. I got a response from a friend that it did not count. She does it everyday. What do you say, count, or not?
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you count cleaning your house as exercise, you don't understand exercise.

Apparently you don't clean like I clean. Anytime I'm sweating, grunting, and end up tired... heck I call that "exercise". Bending, stooping, hauling, running up and down stairs, etc. - basically calisthenics. Now if someone is pansy-a$$ing their way around the house maybe folding a load of laundry and washing a few dishes, then, no, that's not exercise.

OP - If you are up and around most of the day, then you can account for your "normal" level of activity in the "Activity" part of the Goals calculation of MFP. For example, instead of "sedentary", you might say "lightly active" ... maybe "moderately", if you go up and down stairs frequently, etc. But unless you're actually making yourself sweat, I wouldn't try to log it as exercise - imo.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I am listed as sedentary. That is because I am. I do sit all day at a desk. When I go to the market and come home and do chores. it is more than I would do after eating my supper.

I once watched my 2 granddaughters and that is constant activity compared to what you are used to. The bending, the serving, the cooking, the the fill in mom! I raised my kids 35 years ago. My body is not used to all the activity. I logged it and it was quite high for the day. I got a response from a friend that it did not count. She does it everyday. What do you say, count, or not?

Has what you have been doing been working for you? If you are losing weight at the expected rate, then keep doing what you are doing. If you have not been losing at the expected rate then something is wrong either in tracking, or in how you have things set.
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am totally happy with my results. I am in a hold pattern as I have found in the past. I have only had 3 cheat days in 148 days. I took on MFP seriously, and it has taken off of me!
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    There are many people who struggle with just doing the dishes. I know a few years ago before I started tracking I struggled just to stand and wash my dishes and by the time I was done could feel it. Not to mention that when you sweep or vacuum the resistance you can get. Me personally I count cleaning......when I first started I counted all cleaning because I wasn't doing much of it before. Now I only count extra things like cleaning out a closet moving boxes, washing walls etc. But I always count my yard work regardless of this being a weekly thing. My muscles are sore after I am done doing it including riding on the tractor as I tend to tighten all my leg muscles on my tractor not sure why I do this but after words feel like I have been pushing weights with my legs.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Cleaning is not exercise.

It burns some calories yes, but many things do. It is not exercise.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Just count it as part of your daily expenditure.

IMO, I still had to clean house before I came to this healthy lifestyle...I certainly didn't count it then. :)
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I only log cleaning calories when I do something out of the ordinary that takes a min of 45 minutes such as cleaning an entire large bathroom, cleaning carpets, moving furniture. I will log walking at a slow pace if I go shopping for the same amount of time plus.
    Neither of which amount to much so really a waste of time doing so...200 calories maybe.
    But it is also better than sitting in front of the computer or TV.
    So it's basically all up to the individual.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Just count it as part of your daily expenditure.

IMO, I still had to clean house before I came to this healthy lifestyle...I certainly didn't count it then. :)

I have never counted cleaning as part of exercise, ever. It was something I did when I was fat for over a decade and I know I didn't start cleaning more intensely to lose weight. I started to do resistance training and pay attention to what I ate.
  • xphoenixfirex
    xphoenixfirex Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the sink doing dishes, or loading laundry in the washer, or sweeping, mopping, whatever, I'm playing some fast and loud music and dancing or jogging in place or stretching or something, so my version of cleaning does include exercise. While it's not "normal" exercise, I'm working up a sweat, my muscles burn and my heart rate is up. I count every bit of it too :)
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    When I'm at the sink doing dishes, or loading laundry in the washer, or sweeping, mopping, whatever, I'm playing some fast and loud music and dancing or jogging in place or stretching or something, so my version of cleaning does include exercise. While it's not "normal" exercise, I'm working up a sweat, my muscles burn and my heart rate is up. I count every bit of it too :)

HAHA - mee tooooo!! I even dance while I'm cooking! Life is too short not to dance when the music is playing, even if you're washing dishes. ;)