Depression, how did you deal with it?

Options
Ok, so I personally am not sure if I am going through depression but it maybe the cause of why I have been feeling the way I do and why I have been acting how I have for the past year and a half. And I am sure it can be some of the reason why I have failed to do anything about my weight other than complain. So I am just interested if anyone has gone through this and if so did you take the medication or did you try to beat it the natural way. I have an appointment this Friday for this but I am unsure what way I wanna go if I do have depression. I am not sure if I want the medication. But then again this all could just be me and I just to deal with it and fix it and stop my complaining, but I don't know. Just kinda looking to hear from your experiences and maybe it will help me. Thanks in advance. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I tried medication but it was making me horribly drowsy - it was actually kinda nice because I would totally pass out 30 minutes after taking it, but it sorta scared me so I threw it away. Honestly it took years and years to get over it, but I did it the 'natural' way (and eating a lot of food), and my life circumstances totally changed in the meantime too... I think what helped me is getting my dogs, then finally having kids.

I'd definitely go see a doctor about it though, it could just be some chemical unbalance, and in that case medication would definitely help - for me it was situational (a lot of bad things happened to me at once). Some days I'm still not sure I'm 100% over it, but heck... it's much better than it was.
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have problems with depression that began when I was 12. The only thing that has helped my depression has been eating well and exercise. I still have my bad days, but losing weight has helped me tremendously. especially the exercise aspect of it. If you take good care of yourself, you WILL feel better. Losing weight has taught me patience, and to realize that I have the power to change the situation I'm in. Knowing that has carried through to every aspect of my life, including my depression. Committing to a healthy lifestyle has been the only thing that has worked for me. I've tried medications but never for a long enough time to see real results, but I would recommend leaving your options open because in some cases good diet and exercise just isn't enough. You can do this! Just always remember that :)
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with clinical depression not situational although situations can make it worse. If there is really a chemical imbalance you need to go to the doctor. If it would be any other organ would you be saying you have to just deal with it. Since it is the brain most people think that if you bite the bullet it will get better. Not so. Even if it is situational a med might help you get over the "hump" so to speak and then you can get weaned off it. I have been struggliing because a different doctor changed my thyroid meds and my antidepressants. Bad, bad bad. I have the exercise in order but my portion control is not there. I wish you well but go to a doctor you trust and then decide. There are lots of meds so if one doesn't work another might.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I personally am not sure if I am going through depression but it maybe the cause of why I have been feeling the way I do and why I have been acting how I have for the past year and a half. And I am sure it can be some of the reason why I have failed to do anything about my weight other than complain. So I am just interested if anyone has gone through this and if so did you take the medication or did you try to beat it the natural way. I have an appointment this Friday for this but I am unsure what way I wanna go if I do have depression. I am not sure if I want the medication. But then again this all could just be me and I just to deal with it and fix it and stop my complaining, but I don't know. Just kinda looking to hear from your experiences and maybe it will help me. Thanks in advance. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Well...it depends.

To begin with, the argument that depression meds is unnatural and bad is silly. Seriously. Look at allllll the unnatural things in your life - but that's where you draw the line? Do you pass up meds when you're sick, or have a headache?

If you are clinically depressed, it could be because of factors in your life piling up. It could also be that your life is fine but the chems in your brain are not, and are making you think everything is crap.

Absolutely go and get a determination. Therapy might help and that's a route many take. Also remember that being on depression meds is not necessarily a life sentence, so don't be afraid of it. If you do go the meds route, go into it knowing that it can take 6-8 weeks for them to kick in, so keep taking them.
  • gamommy
    gamommy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have clinical depression myself and I have been on an anti-depressant for years. For the past 5 years I've been on the same one...the first one that has really seemed to make a big difference for me. I have accepted the fact that the chemicals in my brain are imbalanced and I need to rely on medication to keep them under control...just like someone with diabetes might need insulin or someone with a thyroid disorder needs to take thyroid medication.

Some types of depression are situational. These types are usually better controlled with diet, exercise and stress-management. However, doctors sometimes prescribe a mild anti-depressant to help stabilize someone's mood to help get them to the point where they can manage their depression on their own. These people are typically able to taper off the meds within a year.

There are also natural homeopathic drugs that I have known people to take in the past who have claimed it helped them, but I don't personally have any experience with them.

Try not to stress about seeing a doctor about this or whether you do or do not have it. It's very manageable! Too many people suffer in silence. You need to do whatever you can to help you feeling like yourself again and if that means you'll need to take a pill once a day to help you with that, then so be it.

Best of luck!
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have clinical depression myself and I have been on an anti-depressant for years. For the past 5 years I've been on the same one...the first one that has really seemed to make a big difference for me. I have accepted the fact that the chemicals in my brain are imbalanced and I need to rely on medication to keep them under control...just like someone with diabetes might need insulin or someone with a thyroid disorder needs to take thyroid medication.

Some types of depression are situational. These types are usually better controlled with diet, exercise and stress-management. However, doctors sometimes prescribe a mild anti-depressant to help stabilize someone's mood to help get them to the point where they can manage their depression on their own. These people are typically able to taper off the meds within a year.

There are also natural homeopathic drugs that I have known people to take in the past who have claimed it helped them, but I don't personally have any experience with them.

Try not to stress about seeing a doctor about this or whether you do or do not have it. It's very manageable! Too many people suffer in silence. You need to do whatever you can to help you feeling like yourself again and if that means you'll need to take a pill once a day to help you with that, then so be it.

Best of luck!

Thank you for your kind words! I feel a little more informed. I appreciate the advice! :flowerforyou:
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with depression for years. I know this is probably cliche, but exercising regularly helps keep it at bay. I had minor surgery back in April and couldn't work out for about two weeks after, and just hit a huge low. Once I was able to get back running, I started to climb out of it. I've also found that cutting out soda has helped me fight it. There are studies that show diet cola leads to increased cases of depression, but for me, soda is soda. It's best to cut it out of our diets as much as possible, and this was just another reason for me. Hope you're able to find something that works for you--we're all different & we all deal with it differently. Feel better!
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Volunteer work will help your depression.
  • N2Couture
    N2Couture Posts: 2,762 Member
    Options
    . .
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If your doctor told you that you had diabetes and needed to take insulin to control it, would you have any problem doing that?

That is how the stigma that anything labeled "mental illness" carries affects us, it makes us want to deny our illnesses and not take medication and think we can pull ourselves up by our bootstraps.

Depression affects a ton of people. I hope you will be open with your doctor and follow their advice. A referral to a psychiatrist and possibly a counselor would be preferable to just going to a gp. If you do start taking antidepressants, notify your doctor IMMEDIATELY if you start having trouble sleeping, if your thoughts are racing or you start speaking super fast. It may be bipolar and antidepressants are the absolute wrong thing for that disorder.

NAMI probably has a local chapter in your area, they are super helpful and nice and full of good information specific to your area. http://www.nami.org/

I agree with the other posters who mentioned that eating right and exercising does help quite a bit with depression. Flylady's emails are also helpful, she nags you each day to get up, put your shoes on and do your hair. http://www.flylady.net/

I wish you the very very best of luck in dealing with this. (((hugs)))
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    The first time around, I was able to use exercise to beat it. I've always enjoyed exercise and it has always been therapeutic to me.. but.. the most recent time? I had to be put on a low dose medication. The depression was suffocating me and I'm so glad that I talked to my doctor about it and was put on medication. I can happily say that it started to turn things around within a few weeks and now, I'm off the medication and exercising to help. Not everyone will be helped the same way, but you need to do what you think is best for you. I didn't want to say anything for a very long time and tried very hard to overcome it myself the second time, but I couldn't. I needed help. And once I convinced myself it was okay to ask for help, and my husband encouraged me, I did and I'm so glad of it.
  • christinalong1991
    Options
    I struggled with it throughout my teen years, and medication never seemed to help, I literally tried every single one and the ones that did make me feel better had side effects that made it not work for me (i.e. 50 lb weight gain at 15). Starting to exercise and losing some weight did genuinely help me feel better. Switching my birth control made an extremely dramatic difference, I'm a totally different person now! Also, getting a dog. He really does make me feel better, having something that relies on you feels great, and he always knows when im upset and will comfort me.

With all of that though, I had great friends that listened to me for hours when I was at my worst, and my boyfriend has stuck around through all of it. So basically, as everyone else has said, there are a lot of factors to be considered, I recommend trying therapy first, because if you can get to the root of why you feel the way you do, you don't need the medication, unless of course the problem is just a chemical imbalance, in which case the meds are needed lol. But just talk with a professional, try different things to help you feel better!
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor who put me on something... I forget. It was just samples when I left the office. I took them for about two weeks to no avail (which is normal as they tend to take a bit before there is a change) only to then find out I was pregnant with my first child... always left to wonder if that is at all related to why my son is Autistic though... In the end me + pregnancy = suicidal depression. I didn't let it worry me the next time.

Other than that, I have always used chocolate. Chocolate makes everything better... chocolate and BBQ potato chips with MSG... clearly this method of coping has not helped my waistline at all.
  • LosingLaurensWay
    LosingLaurensWay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Without therapy and medication I don't think i would have ever been able to lose as much as I have. Trust your doctors judgement on medication and if you ever feel like it isn't doing its job tell them. You can go through many different types until you find the one that works for you. Depression is a disease like any other and can be treated.

Depression has been a huge factor in my journey. It caused me to gain over 150 lbs in 5 years and through therapy and medication I have been fighting back and winning. After the death of my Grandmother I fell back in to one for 3 months and gained 10 lbs after losing 130. It just something that happens to all of us, whether we are aware of it or not. Keep pushing on!

I'll add ya too. Also everyone else feel free to add me too :D
  • CassieR6
    Options
    Thank you all for your awesome advice!! I will go to that appointment and see what she says. Feel free to add me anyone I am open to all the support I can get especially if you have been through this. :flowerforyou:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid and before i was diagnosed I felt the same way. It took sometime after being put on thyroid medication to start feeling "normal" again. Try checking for other medical conditions also.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I agree first and formost have your thyroid tested ask what your TSH is if it is above a 3 ask to be treated if they refuse find another dr. as the american Endo. Association states that anything above a 3 needs to be treated. Further more also have your vit d and B12 check also your iron..............all these things can effect us in neg. ways mentally if they are not where they should be
  • CassieR6
    Options
    Update: I went and was given medication. I started it last night, so we shall see how this all goes. Thank you all so much for all the advice I really appreciate it. And to some who asked about my thyroid, that was checked just 6 months ago and it is fine. Thank you!! :flowerforyou:
  • feexbee
    Options
    There are two types of depression, generally speaking.

a) the natural kind, where your body doesn't produce enough of the right chemicals by itself, that you will need medication for sooner or later

OR...

b) on-set depression that is caused by a specific occurrence that can be fought naturally, or with medication until you're in a better place in your life.

Do not be ashamed if you need to meet with your doctor or a psychiatrist. I just did it, and it was pretty painless. Find someone you're 100% comfortable talking with about how you feel and any urges you may find yourself having.

It is ALL chemicals. It is not your fault! Get the help you need to be happy! :)
  • feexbee
    Options
    Just saw this. Sorry. I stand by my point though!

Keep us updated! Hope it works for you!