Artificial sweetners may contribute to obesity & diabetes.

Options
Artificial sweeteners are widely accepted as safe for those who tolerate them well but there were some interesting articles this week suggesting they might actually be contributing to the rise of obesity and type 2 diabetes by inducing metabolic changes via our gut bacteria. The artificial sweeteners used in they study were aspartame, sucralose (Splenda) and saccharine. The largest effect was found with saccharine.

"The artificial sweeteners that are widely seen as a way to combat obesity and diabetes could, in part, be contributing to the global epidemic of these conditions.

Sugar substitutes such as saccharin might aggravate these metabolic disorders by acting on bacteria in the human gut, according to a study published by Nature this week (J. Suez et al. Nature http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nature13793; 2014). Smaller studies have previously purported to show an association between the use of artificial sweeteners and the occurrence of metabolic disorders. This is the first work to suggest that sweeteners might be exacerbating metabolic disease, and that this might happen through the gut microbiome, the diverse community of bacteria in the human intestines. “It’s counter-intuitive — no one expected it because it never occurred to them to look,” says Martin Blaser, a microbiologist at New York University.

Gut Bacteria, Artificial Sweeteners, and Glucose Intolerance
http://www.newswise.com/articles/gut-bacteria-artificial-sweeteners-and-glucose-intolerance

Sugar substitutes linked to obesity
http://www.nature.com/news/sugar-substitutes-linked-to-obesity-1.15938

Related:
What are the side effects of aspartame, stevia, and other sugar substitutes?
http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/what-are-the-side-effects-of-aspartame-stevia-and-other-sugar-substitutes

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Can't say anything about the diabetes one. But the obesity one seems suspect. Unfortunately it doesn't link to the actual research paper in the article. But a two obvious questions that spring to mind would be:

How much were the mice fed of the artificial sweeteners in relation to their weight? I remember another study in the aspartame thread that literally stuffed mice with so much aspartame that you'd need to drink a few gallons of diet soda every day to get the same amount in relation to your body weight.

How does changing your gut flora impact weight loss/gain at the same amount of calories eaten? Does it increase the amount of calories extracted from food? Decrease your energy output? There's no other way it could do anything about your weight.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    How does changing your gut flora impact weight loss/gain at the same amount of calories eaten? Does it increase the amount of calories extracted from food? Decrease your energy output? There's no other way it could do anything about your weight.
    It doesn't. Just more hogwash. Calories in/calories out. period.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Can't say anything about the diabetes one. But the obesity one seems suspect. Unfortunately it doesn't link to the actual research paper in the article. But a two obvious questions that spring to mind would be:

How much were the mice fed of the artificial sweeteners in relation to their weight? I remember another study in the aspartame thread that literally stuffed mice with so much aspartame that you'd need to drink a few gallons of diet soda every day to get the same amount in relation to your body weight.

The full article and methodology are behind a paywall but this does make it sound like outrageous dosages weren't used.

"This dose corresponds to the FDA acceptable daily intake (ADI) in humans (5 mg per kg (body weight), adjusted to mouse weights, see Methods)." http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature13793.html

This might be of interest as well:
    Extended Data Figure 3: Metabolic characterization of mice consuming commercial NAS formulations.
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/fig_tab/nature13793_SF3.html
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    There was an article in (the unreputable) Daily Mail too on this recently. I did not bother to post on it as, well, regardless of who gave input to the article (including a dietitian at a top London hospital), it is a tabloid paper.

But here is the link to that one, for anyone interested.
    There are a few in this article refuting the findings too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2759723/Low-calorie-artificial-sweeteners-RAISE-risk-obesity.html
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Yes let's blame something other than our own self control!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    The research has been on small scale and lots done with mice. I'll reserve my diet Pepsi (which I've been drinking for more than 25 years) till they come up with evidence that's much more convincing.
    Artificial sweeteners have been one of the most studied additives since they've been added to the food chain. With the exception of some "natural" sites trying to dissuade the public from using them, there's little (if any) evidence to show they are harmful IF taken in moderate doses.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I saw the article in the NY Times and there's a lot of if and maybe about it. I have 1 diet soda a day and that's it. I also eat yogurt and take probiotics. Not too worried.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Of course everyone is responsible for their own personal weight but that doesn't negate the potential benefit of conducting scientific studies -- especially given the dramatic increase in obesity and diabetes in such a short period of time. I know put-down-the-chips-and-get-your-lazy-*kitten*-off-the-couch is a satisfying answer but perhaps there's more to it? Nothing wrong with keeping an open mind and seeing where the research leads.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I've got a theory I know it may be a bit out there and may not be a normal theory but go with me with me on this this 'Eating too much food can lead to Obesity' yes I know that's a pretty wild concept but you never know that could be the cause ..........
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I've got a theory I know it may be a bit out there and may not be a normal theory but go with me with me on this this 'Eating too much food can lead to Obesity' yes I know that's a pretty wild concept but you never know that could be the cause ..........

Science is a good thing to pursue. We all thought ulcers were caused by stress until fairly recently. Turns out it was a bacteria in most cases. Just because something can be shown to CONTRIBUTE to obesity STILL doesn't negate responsibility - but there's no reason to make it harder.

Besides, artificial sweeteners are so low calorie that it's negligible. Many people drink diet sodas and consume low calorie sweeteners because they're trying to follow a lower calorie intake - so if the very things that are supposed to HELP them lose weight actually really AREN'T, then maybe it should be made known. But I guess telling people to put down the fork and never do any further investigation is the way to go.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I am not a mouse....
  • Kontxesi
    Kontxesi Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Science is a good thing to pursue. We all thought ulcers were caused by stress until fairly recently. Turns out it was a bacteria in most cases. Just because something can be shown to CONTRIBUTE to obesity STILL doesn't negate responsibility - but there's no reason to make it harder.

This. Science is our friend.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners being so controversial are one of the most studied additives on the planet, there is absolutely zero conclusive evidence to back up any of these claims. I dropped 115 lbs, and have substantially recomped my body, and I use the hell out of artificial sweeteners. Would you like to buy some magic beans? They are magic fat burners that I got from Dr. Oz.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    The subjects in this study were given the maximum dosage of artificial sweeteners recommended on a daily basis. And the study also says much more research is needed before there's anything concrete.

I have 4 sweet n low packets a day, max. Don't plan on stopping. I'm obese due to my eating habits, not because I like my tea with a bit of artificial sweeteners. :smile:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I am my own human guinea pig and I can testify to the fact that artificial sweeteners do not cause weight gain or diabetes. In fact, pretty much daily ingestion of artificial sweeteners in my case has put my a1c numbers in the healthy range for pretty much the entire year at this point, and I have lost 83 pounds.

So screw those mice.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

This…so much this…

You know what made me fat? You know what made my mother fat and pre-diabetic. Eating too much food. It has NOTHING to do with artificial sweeteners.

I could eat 5,000 calories of nothing but vegetables or 5,000 calories of stuff with artificial sweeteners and either way, I'm gaining weight.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious how often saccharin is used currently.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I saw a 30 year old bottle in my Granny's cupboard if you want some. :D
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Say it isn't so!!! Take it back! Take it back!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I saw a 30 year old bottle in my Granny's cupboard if you want some. :D

LOL

This is pretty much what I was getting at although I phrased in that way in case it's still widely used and I'm just not aware of it.