Just Ran The Farthest I Have Ever Run In My Life!!!! :D

Options
About an hour ago I just ran 5 and a half miles! The farthest I have ever run before that is three miles, which some could say is not that much of a difference, but I finally broke the five mile mark! This is such a big difference from when I would run one mile and feel like I was going to pass out. Anyone else remember a similar achievement? :)

Replies

• Noice. No seriously congratulations!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Five miles is a serious run. I was just looking over my old running logbook from 1994-95 and saw how proud I was when my long runs started breaking the 5-mile barrier. Enjoy the feeling!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!!! I used to dread even running one mile in high school.... and yet I've gone on to do full marathons. So much of running is psychological. Congrats on a personal best... enjoy your success!!!!!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! Could a 1/2 marathon be in your future?
  • nriviecc
    nriviecc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! I'm hoping to get there one day in the not so far future. I dreaded the mile run back when I was in school, but I've started a Couch to 5K program, and I'm five weeks in!! Feels amazing so far! Keep up your great work!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! You could pull off a 10k for sure now!
  • Chloe9218160
    Chloe9218160 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!!! I used to dread even running one mile in high school.... and yet I've gone on to do full marathons. So much of running is psychological. Congrats on a personal best... enjoy your success!!!!!

Oh boy... I'd always come in close to last in middle school mile runs, but they took them out of the curriculum in high school because kids would just walk the whole thing. :)
  • Chloe9218160
    Options

I hope so, but I have to find a way for my knees to not bother me... I started feeling it in my knees and ankles at around 4 1/2 miles. Any ideas? :)
  • coffeeshopgeek
    coffeeshopgeek Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What a great achievement!
  • MDF247
    MDF247 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I hope so, but I have to find a way for my knees to not bother me... I started feeling it in my knees and ankles at around 4 1/2 miles. Any ideas? :)

Yes, keep running and take the time to build up slowly. Many months if you need to. A year if you have to. Being patient will pay big rewards down the line.

When I was used to running 3 miles, 5 miles hurt. When I was used to running 5 miles, 8 miles hurt. When I got used to running 8 miles, 13 miles hurt... see the progression?

Besides that, make sure you have good running shoes, and better yet, have 2-3 pair that you rotate so you are always running on "fresh foam". Shoes take a day or two to fully recover their shape after a longer run, sort of like your muscles. :)
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Anyone else remember a similar achievement? :)

Yes. It was yesterday. :smile: I ran my first half-marathon. It was the first time I went 13.1 miles ever!!:bigsmile:
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is an incredible achievement. :drinker:
  • djbrink21
    djbrink21 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Slow and steady progression of distance. I was told by my doc that I'd never be able to run with my knees. I dropped 30 pounds and took it VERY slowly sometimes only increasing by half a mile a week and the doc has had to eat his words. I did my first 5k this past weekend and have a half scheduled for early next year. After 7 months running, 5 miles is my short run and up to 10 miles for my long. Just be patient.
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo! GRATS!
  • Chloe9218160
    Options
    Anyone else remember a similar achievement? :)

Yes. It was yesterday. :smile: I ran my first half-marathon. It was the first time I went 13.1 miles ever!!:bigsmile:

Great job! I hope I can get up to that someday! :D
  • Chloe9218160
    Options

Slow and steady progression of distance. I was told by my doc that I'd never be able to run with my knees. I dropped 30 pounds and took it VERY slowly sometimes only increasing by half a mile a week and the doc has had to eat his words. I did my first 5k this past weekend and have a half scheduled for early next year. After 7 months running, 5 miles is my short run and up to 10 miles for my long. Just be patient.

Wow, what an amazing achievement! Congratulations, you show that anything is possible as long as you never give up! :)
  • Chloe9218160
    Options

Yes, keep running and take the time to build up slowly. Many months if you need to. A year if you have to. Being patient will pay big rewards down the line.

When I was used to running 3 miles, 5 miles hurt. When I was used to running 5 miles, 8 miles hurt. When I got used to running 8 miles, 13 miles hurt... see the progression?

Besides that, make sure you have good running shoes, and better yet, have 2-3 pair that you rotate so you are always running on "fresh foam". Shoes take a day or two to fully recover their shape after a longer run, sort of like your muscles. :)

Thanks! I was planning on getting another pair of running shoes soon, but I didn't know you should switch out. Makes sense, now that I think of it! :)
    Also, I'll start at three miles and work up half a mile a week. More than that would probably be too much for me.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    About an hour ago I just ran 5 and a half miles!

Congrats! Glad you got away.

hqdefault.jpg

Seriously that's pretty fantastic. I think getting past the 5k range is a huge achievement.
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! Congrats!!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Great job :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!