Yoga Mat recommendations?

Options
I've been using a cheap $20 Gaiam mat I got from Amazon for YEARS now, and since I'm doing yoga more consistently, I think it's time for an upgrade. I don't really care about the price of my new mat, I'm willing to splurge if the mat will hold me in place during poses, especially downward facing dog. I was considering Lululemon's mat, but I thought I'd ask on here and see what suggestions you guys had!

Replies

• FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I like my Jade yoga mat with a yogitoes towel over top. I do a lot of hot yoga and my hands and feet sweat a lot. This combo lets me get into all the poses without slipping and falling on my face.
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have an Aurorae yoga mat. Lots of people swear by Manduko also. The Aurorae mat is thicker than Giam and come in some nice colors. Manduko is pretty heavy duty, but not pretty (if that matters to you).
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    I've had a Gaiam mat for years and was fine with it until I noticed it wasn't as sticky as it used to be. I bought some Gaiam mat cleaner and it's now as sticky as the day I bought it. Sweat and dirt gets built up preventing a good grip.

I've had a couple yoga teachers mention that thicker mats are not great for wrist stability and recommended using the thinnest mat your joints/knees can tolerate.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've had a Gaiam mat for years and was fine with it until I noticed it wasn't as sticky as it used to be. I bought some Gaiam mat cleaner and it's now as sticky as the day I bought it. Sweat and dirt gets built up preventing a good grip.

I've had a couple yoga teachers mention that thicker mats are not great for wrist stability and recommended using the thinnest mat your joints/knees can tolerate.

Thank you, I'll definitely try a mat cleaner! I've actually never cleaned this mat (I know, gross) and I've had it for forever, so that might do the trick and save me some money!
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    I didn't clean mine for years either! I just kind of figured I was the only one using it so it wasn't dirty, totally discounting that I unrolled it in gyms and that I sweat like a beast.

The Gaiam spray gives you 3 options. A light cleaning, moderate and a deep clean. I did a deep clean and the first time I used it afterwards the mat was a little slick but quickly became sticky again.

That was about a year ago and I haven't cleaned it since. :laugh:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I have a whatever mat, but I have an excellent gaiam sticky towel that goes on top of my mat... that thing is excellent.