PALEO diet anyone??

Options
Is anyone here on the paleo diet? If so what are your experiences?? I currently do paleo with added dairy.
Is this sustainable in the long run?? Also does protein have a higher thermal effect than carbs and fats, i.e. more energy is expended in burning the protein.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this "paleo" diet. Is it new?
  • Reclamation52
    Reclamation52 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been moving towards it for a few months (no grains no cheese etc). I finally committed to it just last week. So far so good. Most people I know who go on paleo don't do it to lose weight, althought that's usually the side effect. Most people I know that have switched to it have done so for health/medical reasons. I could stand to lose 15 lbs (ive already lost 4 in one week on paleo), but really its my belly pain and joint pain and a host of other odd symptoms docs havent been able to figure out. So far, my belly has been so good. No pain. No gas. No bloating. my joint pain is down from about a 7 to a 4/5. I'm feeling pretty damn hopeful right about now. So, for me, I'm thinking its more of a lifestyle change than a "diet" - I'm more concerned about my health than whether I have a bit of jiggle. Sabrina
  • Reclamation52
    Reclamation52 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    oh, but I'm 98% paleo. I eat yogurt. I think its good for me, so i do. gotta break a few rules ;-)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I also added the dairy but I also added grains, tomatoes, peppers and beans and 30 days ago I added beer and wine, never felt better so I'm leaving them in.:bigsmile:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Are beer, milk, protein powder, ice cream, and donuts paleo? If so, then yes.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Is this now the new CAVEMAN thread?
  • TheSheepFollower
    TheSheepFollower Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Is this now the new CAVEMAN thread?
    They are the same thing!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If you are eating grasshoppers I heard you should make sure they are cooked as they may carry nematodes or vesicular stomatitis virus. Just saying. It`s paleo-science, or something. Some common North American native plants are cattails, day lilies, mallows, stinging nettles, evening primrose. I suggest you get a book before you are out in the woods all day. Earthworms are good too but I`d cook those as well if you can get a fire going with your flint or fire bow. Of course the earthworm is not native to North America. Where do you live and how serious are you...
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Are beer, milk, protein powder, ice cream, and donuts paleo? If so, then yes.

Bacon maple ones surely must be.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I know everyone jokes about this diet...but I have taken a few things from it... im not 100% with it. I have bought several books because the slow cooker meals that are paleo-created are amazing. They are packed full of veggies and meats and I am always looking for good ideas that are filling enough and will last me for a whole week. I also use a lot of pinterest paleo recipes...but when it comes to the very specific oils and things...I dont really follow that. I would say I am about 80% paleo because i eat (yogurt, wine, beer, alcohol, cheese, and the occasional grain). I have noticed that since I use more of the paleo recipes during the week that I dont eat as much grains as I used to. Im one of those people that could buy a large loaf of bread and it would be gone by the end of the day...mmm bread. So...its helped me control my need for bread over time (this is about a a couple months now and I dont CRAVE bread like I used to).

I will say, that I did have a friend that did it about 90/10 and she has lost a good amount of weight. ...and if anything, I have discovered that coconut oil is soooo good haha