Trying not to be so sedentary

Options
Hi everyone! Looking for friends who also struggle with being active. I am 37 and have always been kind of lazy. I have had times in my life where i had some sort of exercise routine. I have gained and lost weight and gained again. I am now making an effort to walk a few times a week and just move more in general. Just looking for friends with that struggle so we can motivate each other. My diet is pretty under control although I can always eat more veggies .

I also have been excited to do various videos and then of course I get bored or distracted and just plain lazy again.
I need help ! :-) Looking to lose 30 plus lbs but right now focusing on the next 10!

Replies

• NessaReh85
    NessaReh85 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi. Definitely feel your struggle. I have a sedentary job where I spend all day stuck at a computer. I usually walk during my lunch hour daily. Although it hasn't help me lose any weight yet, it has helped me to work off some calories. A co-worker of mine with the same issues has found that T25 has worked wonderd for her when combined with a good eating regimine. Would love to help be a motivation for you. Feel free to friend me :)
  • imedi01
    imedi01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Buy a stationary bike and ride it at home while you watch tv, thats what I do
  • jennifernoseworthy
    Options
    I sometimes have to push myself to exercise. If I am really struggling to do it, I will just take a family walk outside.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend and I work in the same place but she is at the computer and I have an active job. My motivation to her is to tell her to move her *kitten* when we're walking to lunch and to go some jumping jacks when she's cold (due to poor circulation). I am sure this is not any help to you though. Gotta move that bod!

Oh, and I just want to say I hate doing cardio but for me I have found 2 things I like and make sure I get to them every week. Try some classes! Maybe spin or zumba?
  • shanehollanduk
    shanehollanduk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Like you, I was uttra sedentary.

Now I walk everywhere. I mean walk everywhere - I don't take the car, I don't take buses. I use my two feet.

If I have no where to go at weekends, then I create an excuse to go out and walk to it; the journey their part of the experience.

If you have an iPhone the pedometer that is built in will auto sync with MFP. Otherwise you can buy one very cheaply. In the UK the average number of steps a day is about 4000, in the US 3500. Walking 10,000 a day reduces your risk of heart disease, cancer and diabetes.

I am walking anything from 14,000-20,000 steps a day - I say that not as a boast; but if this formerly obese (now just very over-weight!) middle aged man can do it, so can you.

All of us have made excuses about why we are in the position we are in; no one more than me. I claimed that I had no time for exercise, no time to walk. But now I have decided I have no time for high blood pressure, I have no time for being diabetic. SIx weeks in I have lost 21lbs, my blood pressure is no longer high, and my body is not in a pre-diabetic state. I have a long way to go, want to do it together? Feel free to add me.

SH
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    If you want, you can add me too ;)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    A body in motion tends to stay in motion, a body at rest tends to stay at rest so get moving.

29509743.png
  • cocoinnyc
    Options
    Yes I know I gotta move. I have to hype myself up. I have been walking and now I'm gonna do some yoga and some Jillian michaels
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Yes I know I gotta move. I have to hype myself up. I have been walking and now I'm gonna do some yoga and some Jillian michaels

Try finding something you enjoy more, that you actually look forward to doing. Or possibly that you can do with other people, and that you must commit to because they are relying on you. Both of those things will make it more likely that you will do the chosen thing instead of making excuses.
  • Ainesilver
    Ainesilver Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have motivation issues also. My ticker only shows my first mini-goal, I have a lot more than that to lose. Feel free to add me.