BEST protein powder for women

Options
Hello! :) I'm Stephanie and I'm new to myfitnesspal, so if you want to add me as a friend, I'd appreciate that! :)
I was just curious about your thoughts on low carb protein powders. I currently take a soy isolate one at the moment, and it doesn't taste amazing.
I just wanted to know if it's best to take an isolate with very limited ingredients or instead take one which has added vitamins and minerals etc, but also sweeteners. Based on your experiences which ones do you prefer?
I wrote 'women' in the topic because I really am not sure if protein powders for men and women have the same benefits.

I know some have sugar added in and I stay away from those.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Anything that claims to be for men or for women is a scam. They are the same. Men and women can have the same protein powders.

I use trutein, cellulor, or optimum nutrition. Just find one you like the taste of and that's a good protein vs calories. Protein powders aren't even necessary if you can hit your protein macro without them.

All they are is a convenient form of protein. There's nothing inherently wrong with added sugar
  • CHC94
    CHC94 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi Stephanie! Welcome!

I had gastric bypass surgery last August and so protein is a BIG deal for me. My doctor recommended Unjury protein powder - it's sold online. It has no sugar, no calories and lots of flavors. (I just sing their praises; I don't get paid for it.)

My problem is that I have a super sensitive nose, so I could SMELL the powder in my food. Up until a couple months ago, I couldn't deal with the smell. THEN I made up a great smoothie recipe - organic frozen yogurt, Greek yogurt (plain), and frozen berries. Blend it, let it sit overnight in the fridge and enjoy.

I hope this helps you!

CHC94
  • kazzsj0urney
    Options
    Hi Stephanie! Welcome!

I had gastric bypass surgery last August and so protein is a BIG deal for me. My doctor recommended Unjury protein powder - it's sold online. It has no sugar, no calories and lots of flavors. (I just sing their praises; I don't get paid for it.)

My problem is that I have a super sensitive nose, so I could SMELL the powder in my food. Up until a couple months ago, I couldn't deal with the smell. THEN I made up a great smoothie recipe - organic frozen yogurt, Greek yogurt (plain), and frozen berries. Blend it, let it sit overnight in the fridge and enjoy.

I hope this helps you!

CHC94
    All protein powders have calories....unjury simply says it has no calories from fat...1 scoop of the chocolate has 100 calories as per their nutritional label which you can see here: http://www.unjury.com/reg/unjury-chocolate-splendor.pdf
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    excellent unjury link.
    cheese sauce protein powder is genius in my book.
    will search more.

glad someone debunked the women protein too,was fearing a snake oil type product rearing its head!
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I use organic Hemp protein.
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Protein powder for women is just a marketing trick, don't buy it. You can use the same as men.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Use the same as the men!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The Pink one ;-)
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Anything that claims to be for men or for women is a scam. They are the same. Men and women can have the same protein powders.

I use trutein, cellulor, or optimum nutrition. Just find one you like the taste of and that's a good protein vs calories. Protein powders aren't even necessary if you can hit your protein macro without them.

All they are is a convenient form of protein. There's nothing inherently wrong with added sugar
    mirin vivi signature
  • CHC94
    CHC94 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You're right. Sorry about that!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    As a woman, I stay away from an extra soy so I'd never chose a soy protein powder. It messes with my cycle and mood. I guess some women are not as sensitive though.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Whey ISO
  • dherburg
    dherburg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion--see if you can get a few samples of different protein powders and try several. It took me many tries to find one that I not only liked but that I could process well. Some people swear by whey, or soy, or hemp, or a brand, but really it is the one that you will like and feels good for you. I went to GNC and they gave me some samples to try, I asked friends to share samples of their faves, and I bought some samples before I found the one for me. Good luck!
  • VibrantAnnette
    VibrantAnnette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree with "find the one that tastes good to you." I have long been a fan of MaxMuscle MaxPro whey protein as it tastes great, dissolves easily in water or anything, but we don't have a store in texas (a California franchise chain) so I have to order online and have run out sometimes. So I tried the zero carb Isopure from Vitamin cottage, also tastes pretty good and dissolves rapidly. I cannot do aspartame based products, so stevia based sweetener is okay.

Recently I've researched and found and started buying only grass-fed organic whey protein powders, which there are only two: Now products, and Designs for Health Whey Cool. And I really like them both. Now products whey protein is bland and must be mixed into other stuff but is pure whey. Designs for health whey cool is also bland and needs mixed in, but I'm liking it a lot as it's also a denatured whey protein (aka: raw vital nutrients remain). I read about the Now products on a men's health article. And I get my Designs for Health from my acupuncture Dr (but you can buy online).
    https://www.google.com/search?q=designs+for+health#q=designs+for+health+whey+cool
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    From the Unjury site:
    vanilla-protein-nutrition-facts.jpg
    It actually seems to have a decent calorie/macro ratio but who knows what it tastes like. It is definitely NOT a zero calorie product.

And I agree with the numerous posters who say that any protein powder labeled specifically for women is a scam trying to get your money. There is no difference.

I personally usually use MetRx because it's less expensive and has a decent calorie/macro ratio. Most of my friends like Trutein though.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I use Eidopro Unflavored Protein Powder (Whey) and Nutriva Hemp Protein Powder (plant). Eidopro has 27g of protein and little to no sugar. Nutriva has 15g of protein and little to no sugar. Both are flavorless which means that when I make a green fruit smoothie, I can actually taste the fruit and not the artificial sugar from the protein powder.

Both are from Amazon.