Time of the month - for the ladies..............

Options
Apologies in advance if I have gross you out but I had to ask the question............ does your body contains more fluid during the week when you are having your time of the month? Is it a myth or is your weight playing up?

This is the first time I am sticking to a diet for so long and actually feel very positive about it.

I have lost already 7lbs in for 4 weeks and always looking forward to my weekly Sunday weigh in. Its a slow progress but heading to the right directions.

From time to time I do a sneak mid weigh in. Today I found out instead of loosing, I have gained weight!!!!

Normally when its almost the dreadfull week is approaching, I have these mad cravings and pretty much stuff my face during the week.

I'm amazed it hasn't happend and I'm sticking to my daily calories. Hence I don't understand why its happening or what will happend by the end of the week.

Some one mention it could be I am retaining fluid - is that true or is it another myth?

Hence Ladies - if its not too yukky topic - I wouldn't mind to hear from you how your body weight is affecting during that week.

Love,

Tweety x

Replies

• Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Yes, in fact I look forward (well almost) to my period because I almost always lose a couple pounds when its over!
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    it is totally normal to gain weight during 'that week' as your body retains water and general hormone changes messes everything up

i gain up to 4lbs during TOM so i avoid weighing in at all as i know i'll be down about it
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    Apparently, we can gain 3 to 7 lbs of water weight during our time of the month. I gain a bit, or at least stop losing when I'm in PMS. No worries! :)
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    yes you retain water, not sure of the mechanics but its not a myth, most women will retain some, for me its generally 3-5lbs but can be more
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I just went through this, I stayed consistent with my calorie goal and exercised just like any other day and 3 days in my weight was up a few lbs. About 2 days after it ended the weight went back down and then some :) . Just stay consistent and everything will work out!
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere on here that if you increase your water intake the few days before and during, it will keep your body from retaining water during your TOM.
  • maineislandgirl
    maineislandgirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's not a myth, we do retain water/fluids, up to several pounds even, just before our TOM. In fact some of it is retained in our skulls and the slightly altered intracranial pressure can be what causes our mood swings if we have them. Don't worry. If you hate the gain just before, you will love the easy loss during your TOM as you shed that fluid. ;^) Sadly, it isn't really a loss or gain as it is just fluid exchange. You'll get so you can predict it each month.
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely! The week prior and the week during my weight will be up between 2-5 pounds. I drink water like a fish and do my regular thing, yet it still comes like clockwork! The following week it's all gone though. I just have to track my cycles so I don't flip out forgetting that it's that week prior when I weigh in!!!
  • pinktreehands
    Options
    Yes, it is perfectly normal to put on a few pounds of water weight. Don't use diuretics or anything. Your body will get rid of it when the dreaded week is through. :) Although it seems counter productive, drink lots of water and lower your sodium intake if you want to reduce the amount of water you are holding. Extra water will help to switch off the anti-diuretic hormone that is in high gear the week before menstruation.
  • tweety_montana
    tweety_montana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for the messages. That really reassured me.

I was about to panic there lol.

I can feel either tomorrow or day after I will be in pain............I better have my hot water bottle ready.

The joy of being a woman..........................

I wish everyone to keep up the good work xxxx

Love,

Tweety
  • kristy12379
    Options
    I've definatley seen a pattern in the the 11 months that I've been losing weight. I noticed that the week before my TOM is when I didn't lose much or anything at all. Then the week of my TOM and the week following I would have great weight loss. Just keep exercising and eating appropriately and just know that you're doing your best!
  • kymberlin
    kymberlin Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have found that a good week before TOM and several days after I gain 3/6lbs. It really sucks when your eating well and exercising and hop on the scale. My TOM Isn't super regular so I always know when the scale starts creeping up and I have been doing well that's what's coming. Oh and some months it's the super double you over cramps for a whole week. bluckkkkkk. going thru this now and I actually recorded a gain of 1.8lbs before I remembered what was going on. Silly me. Next week will look better.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't panic Tweety, it's just your body doing what women's bodies do - completely messing with your mind!
    Hormones are amazing things, but they can just take over sometime.
    Keep up the good work, you should drop down after your period.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    quite true. For every woman I've worked with. For me, I usually gain between 3 & 6 pounds but the good thing its it comes right back off afterwards.i always wonder why they never address that issue on Biggest Loser ... because we all know its a factor!
  • tweety_montana
    tweety_montana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you - that is what I thought. No one mention it!!!

As if loosing weight is not bad enough - now I understand why the weekly weigh in for the women on Biggest Losers, some of the gained weight!!!!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Over time, I found that the cleaner I kept my diet the less water I retained at that TOM.
  • mresta
    mresta Posts: 33
    Options
    I always gain a couple of pounds, though this month I managed to lose a pound oddly...hoping that means I've lost more than I thought next week! :D