1200 or 1500 calories?

Options
I'm confused by the 1200 calorie thing...I see so many people in the forums talking about hitting 1200 calories or staying at 1200 calories....but MFP gives me 1500 calories before I even exercise! Is that because I don't have a sedentary job or because I have it set to one lb/week or what?

I'm not interested in dropping my calories, I'm just curious why so many other people are doing 1200.

Replies

• poorcopies
    poorcopies Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I think the average person uses around 1200 calories a day just to function and to not eat that, you put yourself in starvation mode, so that is the lowest they say someone should go, so maybe they are doing it because its the lowest they can?. If you have a bit more weight to lose, than your body uses more calories to do every day things, which is why you need more. I notice when I have entered my new weight my calories are dropping down, so I imagine it will keep doing that until I lose more weight.

I am on about 1,600 a day before my exercise.

I was wondering how much you need to stick to that 1200 calories, because I went way over yesterday, so went under today, I would presume your metabolism would need a few days to kick into starvation mode, so think I am ok doing that, or will it affect my progress? Questions, questions!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Each person's body size/weight is different. That's why they give you the questionaire thing to fill out and they go by that. If you feel like 1500 is too much, try and gradually lower it.
  • spuzo
    spuzo Posts: 50
    Options
    I see a lot of people at 1200 - when I signed up for MFP [set to lose 1lb per week] I was given 2000, I then dropped that to 1800 and now I'm at 1600 [2.6lbs/wk]. I did that over the course of a few days. I'll be honest, I don't think I could ever do 1200.
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I was given 1200 when I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week, so I put myself at a 1 pound a week loss and now have 1360. It is just because everyone is a different size, etc. I can tell you-it is going to take awhile for me to be able to get down to the 1200 level! I still have to try to not go over now!
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks! I am happy at 1500 calories, but if I start feeling frustrated with the scale not moving, I'll move it down gradually.
  • MstarsElizabeth
    MstarsElizabeth Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I got my calorie goal by calculating my bmr at a healthy weight and then doing some math to find out how many calories I should eat if I were to weigh my goal weight. I'm allowed 1700 calories a day. To be honest, most days it's really hard to eat that many. I usually stay around 1500. It's working so far, and if I hit a plateau I plan to decrease the calories. I never go below 1200, even on my work out days. Do what works for you.