Arm Implanon Contraceptive help..

Options
Hello my doctor suggested I get the arm implanon contraceptive as my periods are so painful and heavy (tmi sorry!).

I've been on the pill before and gained 10kg in 2 years so I stopped taking it..I used to be on lexapro aswell for severe anxiety which made me gain another 7kg in 8 months, I'm in the process of loosing weight - around 20kg.

I just wanted to know anyones opinions on this if they gained or lost weight or nothing at all.

Although this would help me psychically I just don't want to pile on weight again, so help please :)

Replies

• jodieeeanne
    jodieeeanne Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I found my weight didn't change.

I did put weight on with the pill so obviously that's a good sign that not all contraceptives make each individual gain weight however your situation could be different x
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I only had mine for 5 months before I tried to cut it out myself... I gained 20 lbs but I had also just had a baby. Got it at my post partum appointment.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for about 6 months now, no problems and weight issues.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for 2 and a half years and haven't had any issues with it. I did put on weight but that was from eating junk and sitting on my butt!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Make sure you control your calories. The implant may wreak havoc on your appetite, so calorie counting is a must. If you still gain weight, which does happen to people, its a side effect and you should discuss this with your doctor. They only way to know if your weight gain is a side effect or just you overeating due to increased appetite is if you track your calories.

I feel you OP. My OBGYN is switching me to a progesterone only pill and I started it yesterday. I'm looking out for weight issues too.
  • stepfordexwife
    Options
    I had issues with it. I was unable to lose any of my pregnancy weight with out starving myself (1650 calories just to maintain and I was breastfeeding!) I didn't have it taken out because of that though, I had it removed because it gave me horrible cystic acne.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i have had no weight issues with my implanon. i have had some bloating on the pill before, but no weight gain.
  • MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Had mine in for two years.. Nothing of significance to report about my weight.. I didn't notice it being any harder to maintain or lose.
  • jmurray90
    jmurray90 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    mine made me blow up like a damn balloon... the reason I am here today is honestly probably because of that thing. I gained around 40 lbs after I got it, on top of never losing my baby weight when I left the hospital from having my daughter. other then the weight gain I had no issues with it. I got it taken out and lost 30 lbs in around 6 weeks...
  • Kelly81023
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but I've had a horrible reaction to the implant. I've gained ten pounds in eight weeks, my appetite is through the roof, and I've had severe depression and anxiety. On top of all of this, my last period lasted for 15 days. Everyone's body reacts differently, but I'd say I'm one of the unlucky ones with all the side effects. I'm having it taken out next week. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I put on weight with every pill I was put on but I didn't with the implant and as a bonus after about 6 months I stopped having periods which is normal side effect fo some.

But everyone is different so make sure you have a doctor who is willing to take it back out I've heard horror stories from people where they have terrible periods massive weight gain and the doctor won't take it out.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I had one for about a year or so. I gained a bit of weight, but for me the main issue was the spotting. I would have to take estrogen pills (from my OB) to help stabilize my uterine layer to prevent all the irregular spotting. Decided it wasn't worth it and went back on the pill... then went off of that too.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • youcrazything
    youcrazything Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight long before I got my nexplanon implanted. It has not hurt my weight loss at all, I am still losing the same as I was before. I have had it just over a year now, and the only real issue I've had with it is a lot of spotting in between periods and weird cycles. I think it is starting to normalize out now (no more spotting and beginning to get fairly regular periods.)
    It's hard to say how it will affect you, as everyone is so different.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm about to switch from the Depo shot to the implant.

My thoughts:
    I gained a lot of weight on the depo, but I do NOT blame the shot, I blame my lack of self control. I am now down 26 pounds while still on the depo. PEople who gain weight on birth control just have a hard time controling the hunger. once you get that under control its not that hard to maintain weight. So I personally have no concerns about switching because I've been working to control my hunger for the last 9 months.

I just say it may be hard at first with the implant, you just need to log your calories and realize that when your hungry it's most likely the birth control talking.

*a part of me secretly hopes that when I switch my appatite will actually go back to normal*
  • michaelahurstt
    Options
    Thankyou all i'm considering it my doctor insists i go on it but i've heard alot of horror stories about it....and most of you stated you have had weight gain and horrible side effects so i'm not sure :( is there any form of contraception that doesn't effect your weight?

Thankyou all for your opinions on this :)
  • Jecka987
    Jecka987 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've had an Implanon for 6 years (5 years and now a new one for a year) - I have zero side effects. I got down to my lowest ever weight with the last one and the struggle with weight now is from eating too much and not exercising haha. I also find I have regular periods, no spotting etc.
  • christinalong1991
    Options
    I didnt so I plan on, but depo which is the same hormone makeup, Igained a lot o* weight but also had issues emotionally, as in iI went psycho. Lol. I'm taking microgestin FE, lowest hormone dosage they can give me, and it'sbeen wonderful! No emotional or physical side effects that I'maware of, but iI've been on it about 5years now, so I'm planning to stop in January just to see if it makesany ddifference with my appetite.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    I'm on my 4th Implanon (or Nexplanon as it is sold as in the UK now). So I've now into my 10th year wearing one. I can't say I have noticed it adversely affecting my weight. I find it relatively easy to lose weight (I've lost 30.5lbs in 154 days). It's the keeping it off I struggle with, but I don't put that down to the implant.

The only thing the implant does affect is my periods. Whilst they aren't so heavy as they were when I was on the pill, they are very irregular. I can go months without a period and then have two within very short succession. I still wouldn't change it though. I love not having to remember (and forgetting far too often) to take that little pill each day!

But as with everything hormonal how it affects me may not be the same as how it affects you.
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    I had it for 2 years and gained a massive amount of weight (4 dress sizes), bled irregularly and sometimes for a couple of weeks at a time, became massively depressed, hated anyone looking at me, talking to me or touching me, massive mood swings, acne etc etc...you name a bad side effect, I had it. I didn't put 2 and 2 together about it being the implanon that was causing it until I had it removed. Then I felt normal again and more like myself. That was just me...I've not had the same problems with other contraceptives thankfully.

I've had many friends who have been on it and not had an issue at all...so I would try it out and see...every body is different after all...what works for me may not work for you and vice versa...
  • lightandflight
    Options
    I didn't have any weight issues with mine, but I did get a huge ovarian cyst. I had the doctor's remove it against recommendations (apparently it was not the cause of my cyst, but I couldn't feel safe with it in). It was really easy to have them remove it. I did still have periods with it.

Now I have Mirena, and I have close to no periods, no issues related to weight (that aren't caused by me), and I haven't had a cyst since they put it in. I would suggest the IUD if you were asking me. Its such a low dose of hormones and it really has worked miracles with my period (they used to be ~7 days and heavy).