Weight Gain and Vitamin D Deficiency

Options
124»

Replies

• HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Vit D deficiency 8 months ago and am JUST NOW beginning to get a handle on it. What finally worked was:

1. Supplementing daily with 10,000 iu of LIQUID (drops) of vit D3

2. Combining that with the proper amounts of magnesium, vit K & A (multivitamin)

3. Taking after a meal containing fats

I have a list of symptoms (it was inferred for years I may have Fibromyalgia) that included everything from pain to infertility and nearly everything in between. I've done a LOT of research and can tell you that it may take as long as 6 months to feel a difference. I can also tell you that taking supplements does not necessarily mean the problem is solved. I re-test every 60 days to see what's working and what's not. There can be absorption issues signaling an underlying cause (like celiac) as well.

I have read that low D can change your metabolism and make weight easy to put on and very difficult to lose. There are studies that reflect supplementation does help those who are deficient lose pounds.
  • EarthgalUSA
    Options
    It is reassuring to see how many other people are having the same issues as myself. I am going to take what I've read and start applying it and see what happens. Thank you all so much!!
    If you want, you can join my group on Facebook and we can all help each other there as well. https://www.facebook.com/groups/BurnThatFat
  • lizm223
    lizm223 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Purely ***anecdotally***, I had a physical in April where it was determined I was vitamin D deficient. So, I was given 50,000 units/week of D2 for 3 months. At the same time, I switched to a birth control pill with a different progestin. Despite having been eating well and exercising for months, I had been stuck with little change on the scale or in my appearance. After these changes, and with no significant changes to diet or exercise, 10lbs and significant inches (I never measured myself, but those jeans I hadn't been close to zippering now fit) disappeared within a couple months.

I'm more convinced the birth control played a larger role, since I'd steadily gained on my old formulation and my doctor said it was likely too androgenic for me, but I think the vitamin D may have played a role as well. I know there have been several studies finding a correlation (not causative effect) between vitamin D deficiency and weight gain. I haven't been supplementing with vitamin D since my levels were re-checked and were back up to normal since it was summer and I was getting a little more sun. I may start now, I figure it can't hurt anyway.