Breakfast before working out?

Options
So I decided to work out at 6.30 am today, and started off on an empty stomach. About 20 minutes in I felt faint and had to give up. Do you have breakfast before working out? Do you eat some fruit? How long do you leave between eating and starting the workout? Thanks!

Replies

• Marcel182
    Marcel182 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasions where I do wake up early enough to squeeze in a workout before going to work, I personally prefer to eat after exercising. I don't like working out on a full stomach. But then, perhaps it depends on the type/intensity of the workout?
  • Misshodge64
    Misshodge64 Posts: 8,588 Member
    Options
    I would get something on my stomach, even if it is a egg and sausage. You probably did high intensity?
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat anything before I run, literally nothing, otherwise I end up puking.
    The latest I can eat is two hours before, but I seem to do my best runs on an empty stomach and I've never felt dizzy or faint.
  • grantevans11
    grantevans11 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you have a high carb meal the night before, you should be fine to workout without eating first. I always have 5g of BCAA before any morning cardio sessions to give me enough energy to make it through to breakfast.
  • SWWIS
    SWWIS Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I remember waking up too late for breakfast before the morning session of a two-a-day volleyball tryout. The morning was all fitness tests, strength and conditioning tests, and some brutal cardio in the form of long runs, sprints, suicides... you get the point. I was dizzy and lightheaded the entire time, had no energy, and wound up running out the door to puke out the contents of my stomach, which at that point was just a bunch of water. Wasn't fun. I ran back in the gym, miserable as could be, and kept conditioning. Never went to one of those morning sessions without at least a little something in my stomach again. I don't even think I could go on a casual jog on an empty stomach in the morning. I know some people who can.. but it's definitely not for me. I feel terrible if I don't eat a little before a workout, regardless of the time of the day... but the morning is definitely a lot more noticeable.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    if u r feeling faint, than u should have eaten. you prob.ably were hitting the wall. you do realize intense exercise uses carbs as fuel right?
  • suebussell
    Options
    I am doing a 5 mile training run this morning, and have just had a yoghurt and banana, I will wait about an hour before I do the run.
  • SofiV79
    SofiV79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! It was high intensity, but having had pasta the night before I thought I would be fine.... Will try having half a banana or something next time, and see how it goes..
  • healthyhayles
    Options
    I generally find that I need to eat breakfast before I workout otherwise I feel the same; lack of energy etc. However I usually eat breakfast and then go and workout, so there's about a 2 hour gap (or so) in between. :)
  • GraemeMcC
    GraemeMcC Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You perform better if you have something to eat before you exercise, even some fruit juice or some toast. It may take some conditioning to get used to training with something in your stomach, so don't go overboard right away.

I always thought that exercising fasted would improve the burning of fat. Apparently I am wrong and as I am training to improve performance I now try and consume something before heading out in the morning. It hasn't affected the rate of body composition change either.
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I have my pre-workout drink 30 minutes before i hit the gym.
  • markrichtsspraytan
    Options
    I liek to have something small about an hour before if I work out in the AM. My usual coffee (with creamer and Splenda) and some 35 calorie bread or Wasa crackers usually keep me from being hungry or feeling dizzy
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Depends on the session. Anything up to 10km I've developed the ability to get credible results from a fasted session. For more than that I'll have something about an hour before; porridge or toast with honey or nutella. 300 cals or thereabouts.
  • awesomedjmcvey
    awesomedjmcvey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have to. If I do, it is a handful of trail mix or dried cherries. Just something small with 2 cups ice water. Then come home for oatmeal or eggs and toast after.