To Drink or not to Drink?

Options
Hi Pals,

I have a serious question and I would like your input on the matter. First off, I'm 28 and I wanna get down to about 165 or so and I currently weigh 185. I keep trying this whole my fitness pal thing and I sometimes find it very difficult to lose these 20 lbs. I got a gym membership and went for a little bit and stopped for a few weeks. Well, I'm going to attempt to turn over a new leaf and try this again. This time I'm going to take it more seriously.

Anyway, the question I have for everyone is this, while I'm trying to loose this weight would it be a good idea to stop drinking beer? I'm not a heavy drinker by any means. My problem is that I really enjoy the science behind beer and find it very fascinating on how it's made. It kinda adds to the whole experience for me and therefore It makes me enjoy the taste even more. ( I know, I'm weird.)

Give me some input, good or bad. Let me know if you had the same situation.

Thanks!

Replies

• shexy16
    Options
    I don't think you should give it up if it's something you really like and enjoy, just log it when you drink it. For me, deprivation sets me into obsession with whatever I'm depriving myself of....
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to have more than one beer and not go over your calories while you're trying to lose. Especially when you're really into beer and go for the better micro-brews. Maybe limit it to once a week, have a few, and call it your "cheat" meal. Some people on here do cheat meals, that's where I'm getting the idea.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Beer impairs my judgement. When I drink I don't care much about counting calories. However, if you make it a point to budget your calories to include your beer then by all means indulge and enjoy.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    my trainer who i used when i first started losing said that if you are down to your last 10 lbs or so within your goal weight, you should drop alcohol. i definitely found this to be true. at this point, i am not drinking AT ALL, not even socially, until i lose all my weight. i know it's an issue for me, because i cannot drink without eating, too. everyone is different.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    dropping alchohol was the first thing I did when I started MFP. I ended up having 2 Miller Lite's last week and I gotta tell ya - using those calories on beer instead of food was not easy.

If you think you can fit a beer or two into your macros/diet then more power to ya! But remember, the calories and whatnot those beers have will be taking away from calories that would fill you up and have nutricional value.

But a lot of people have 'cheat meals' or 'cheat days' and some even work wine into their plan every week. I guess it's different for everyone.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    The time you drink alchohol is important as well. When I hit my goals the first time, I drank 6 out of 7 days. However, it had to be at least 2-3 hours before I went to bed and within my caloric limits.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Never thought I'd say this, but I've stopped altogether for now. The same 9 bottles have been sitting in my fridge for 3 weeks. Amazingly though, I don't crave them like I used to. Used to have 1 - 2 each night (for years) - which explains the reason why I'm here to begin with.
  • amazingamanda12
    Options
    Sometime we over indulge on the things we love. Instead of a every now and then. If you really love beer and the science (I love wine) save that for a friday night and limit yourself to one or two. Drink it slow and really enjoy the experience. It is not over indulgence just a treat. really, I mean drink slow. When you start to look into the sugar content and the effort for your body to rid itself, you might just drop it all together. :smile:
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if dropping alcohol would be the best move or not for you, but myself, I could not have lost the weight I did (or at least as quickly) without cutting it out mostly. This was by no means intentional on my part, I just drink more rarely these days, and in general my attitude towards booze is I try just to drink when either the booze or the company warrants it. I love beer too, and look forward to fitting good beer into my life after weight loss, but for now I'm driven by reaching my goal, and the beer has dropped out of the equation for the moment. Good luck with those final 20lbs!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You said you're not a heavy drinker. Fitting a couple of beers a week into your caloric allowance should be no problem. Having only 14 pounds to go, you may need to NOT for a couple of weeks at some point but everyone is different.
  • 3proud
    3proud Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have always been able to lose weight and still drink alcohol. I could drink a couple drinks a day before it made a difference in my weight loss. Now I tend to save it for the weekend when I eat maintenance or above...just to be sure I am getting sufficient nutrients when I am cutting. FWIW, my weight loss was vanity weight (last 5-10) and I tend to zigzag so I can eat more/drink more on the weekends.
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a beer shandy? You could use a low cal lemonade to add to it. That way, you're only drinking half the beer each time ????
  • Dingoutback
    Dingoutback Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great replies so far. I think I might do the whole only drink on weekends thing and only one beer a night. Once I finish off my Sam Adam's Octoberfest I'll get more Michelob Ultra, so I won't be waisting too many calories.
  • DMRinehardt
    Options
    +1 on much of the advice given.

I love my red wine, but realized that empty calories were causing my weight gain. I removed the empty calorie drinks during the week and allowed myself to enjoy on the weekend. Net result was a 3 lbs loss my first week. (I am sure that was a lot of water weight, so the jury is still out over long term loss pace.)
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Great replies so far. I think I might do the whole only drink on weekends thing and only one beer a night. Once I finish off my Sam Adam's Octoberfest I'll get more Michelob Ultra, so I won't be waisting too many calories.

Umm, no. do not get the Michelob Ultra. If you want a more diet friendly beer but still have some flavor from a beer that doesn't look like pi$$, then go with Guinness or Amstel Light. Guinness is 127 calories for 12oz and Amstel is 110.

A few weeks ago I even managed to fit in some Surly Furious. OMG, yummy. It was 195 calories for 12oz but so worth it.

Edited to correct some mad typing skillz :drinker:
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give it up unless you have a drinking problem, but since you clearly do not then have a drink or 2 or 3. As long as you make them fit towards your daily goal and count every calories, you should be fine.
  • Dingoutback
    Dingoutback Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Umm, no. do not get the Michelob Ultra. If you want a more diet friendly beer but still have some flavor from a beer that doesn't look like pi$$, then go with Guinness or Amstel Light. Guinness is 127 calories for 12oz and Amstel is 110.

A few weeks ago I even managed to fit in some Surly Furious. OMG, yummy. It was 195 calories for 12oz but so worth it.

Edited to correct some mad typing skillz :drinker:

I'll have to try it out. Thanks for the advice!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You dont have much to lose, just give it up. I mean, after all, people that do not have a problem with alcohol do not have a problem giving it up, so it should not be a problem.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    As someone who loves craft beer, wine, and spirits, I don't think you should give it up. Are you going to stop exploring the lovely mysteries of hops and malt forever? You need to figure out how to fit it into your life, or when you add it back in, you'll gain back the weight.

I had two Alpine Duet IPAs last night, which added almost 500 calories to my day. I usually would not have two, because that is basically a whole meal, but who am I to turn down a gift? On the weekend when I bike for a few hours and have an extra 1000+ cals to eat, no problem!

Look at the other things you could cut out that are lower on your love list. I don't really care for bread or sweets, so my day is full of protein, veggies, and fat, which means I am getting plenty of nutrition paired with my beer/wine/bourbon calories.

CHEERS! :drinker:
  • VaikeVihm
    Options
    Make it work. If it's something you really enjoy, don't stop. Log the beers, adjust from there.