Building Mass - Butt and thighs

Options
I'm 27, height 5'8 and weigh 56kg, I've been naturally thin my whole life but really want to increase the size of my glutes, quads and hamstrings. I'm quite active and workout for 1 hr per day, 6 days per week, usually doing 3 x Bodypump classes and lifting weights. I try to limit my cardio to 3 days per week and its usually a 10min medium paced walk or jog as i don't want to lose anymore weight. I have great definition in my back, arms and shoulders from doing Pump, but its taking a while to see results in the glutes, quads and hamstrings. I also eat very clean, meal prep for breakfast, lunches and snack. Dinners are quite clean also, but im not too strict, i just limit my portions.

Is Bodypump going to help me gain mass?

Which exercises should i be doing to target the glutes, quads and hamstrings?

Is my current exercise schedule too much or not enough?

Ive looked into 'bikini body' and 'shredding' programs, would any of these be beneficial? Are there any good free programs that i could use.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no bodypump will not help you gain any appreciable mass.

Definition actually comes from lower bodyfat...

to gain mass you need to bulk...ie eat at a surplus and do a progressive load lifting program. And you cannot decide to only bulk in certian areas you will bulk everywhere.

To target your quads, glutes and hamstrings...deadlift, squats, hip thrusts, glute bridges
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Agree that bodypump won't get you where you want to be. It is way too high rep at lower weights to be effective in gains.

Check out Strong Curves: http://bretcontreras.com/strong-curves-a-womans-guide-to-building-a-better-butt-and-body-sample-and-coaching-consultation-giveaway/

He has four different programs in the pdf at the bottom of the page that you can pick from. You may see the changes you want with the work, but if you truly want to build mass, then you will need to eat at the surplus like Stef said in order to gain.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    no bodypump will not help you gain any appreciable mass.

Definition actually comes from lower bodyfat...

to gain mass you need to bulk...ie eat at a surplus and do a progressive load lifting program. And you cannot decide to only bulk in certian areas you will bulk everywhere.

To target your quads, glutes and hamstrings...deadlift, squats, hip thrusts, glute bridges

THIS
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

This except regular squats. Plie squats are better for the butt IMO.

Also run a few hills. :bigsmile:
  • cinds77
    Options
    Agree that bodypump won't get you where you want to be. It is way too high rep at lower weights to be effective in gains.

Check out Strong Curves: http://bretcontreras.com/strong-curves-a-womans-guide-to-building-a-better-butt-and-body-sample-and-coaching-consultation-giveaway/

He has four different programs in the pdf at the bottom of the page that you can pick from. You may see the changes you want with the work, but if you truly want to build mass, then you will need to eat at the surplus like Stef said in order to gain.

Was just going to recommend this too, beat me to it :-)
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Another vote for Strong Curves. I have been doing the program for about six months and have made excellent gains on the ssze and shape of my glutes. Hip thrusts are amazing for glute activation.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

This except regular squats. Plie squats are better for the butt IMO.

Also run a few hills. :bigsmile:

I don't mean squats...just squatting..I mean weighted squats...regular squats won't build muscle you have to add weight to a bar on your back/front our use progressively heavier hand weights until you get to a point where you can do barbell squats...

Plie squats are known for working the following:

•Butt, (gluts maximus)
    •Thighs, (quadriceps)
    •Hamstrings
    With a better workout for
    •Inner thighs (adductors)

Where as Squats (non weighted and weighted) work

•Butt, (glutieus maximus),
    •Hips (gluteus medius),
    •Thighs, (quadriceps),
    •Hamstrings and Calfs.
  • leahjoy5
    Options
    Thanks everyone. All great tips! I'll be avoiding pump from now on, i didn't think it was really helping. I always focus on all muscle groups when exercising and ive increased my calorie intake to roughly 2,500 calories.