Fasting what to expect

Ok so let me first start with this: I am not a physician and I am not at all recommending this particular diet. This forum is just to share my day to day experience with water fasting so that others who may decide to do this are aware of some of the things to expect. I am 34 year old female. I am 5'2" 239.5 lbs. My goal is 125-140 lbs. I work as a receptionist so my day is pretty sedentary. I have two beautiful children, and a wonderful husband and I had a great upbringing. I do not suffer from depression I just simply LIKE TO EAT. I have noticed that certains foods do create a sort of high for me and I think that may be why I have become so addicted. I have tried diet pills, and low carb, and low calorie and so far have not been able to follow through with any of them. I have noticed pains in my body caused by my weight and I have noticed it is affecting my physical relationship with my husband. Now that I have gotten all of the BS out of the way on to the fast:

This is Day one: So far today I haven't eaten anything. I am forcing myself to drink water because I believe it is more essential now than ever before because I am not eating. I also had an iced coffee from McDonalds. Coffee is another addiction I have and I plan to ween off of it through this week. I have tried going cold turkey before and got the worse headache imaginable. SO ... I said all that to say, so far I am ok... Its lunch time and I can smell my co-workers food, but I am going to finish this day strong... I will check in tomorrow.

Replies

• Okay fp fam so last night I did not finish strong. By the time I got home from work I had the work headache imaginable. So when I got home I ate some chicken and rice thinking the headache was caused by lack of carbs/sugar... or whatever. After I ate I still felt bad. So I am starting a new this morning, but I am still considering this day two. I can't believe I wasnt prepared for that yesterday. I have done low carb before and I always get a headache and feel tired, I suppose I had such tunnel vision I lost sight of it. Anyway I am ready for it today. So if you are following me and you want to take anything away from this post, I would recommend don't cut food cold turkey escpecially your carbs. Ween yourself off of food.

Day Two: Today I weighed myself and I was down to 238.5 lbs, 1 pound less than yesterday. I think it is primarily water weight because my BMR is 1700 cals a day and I would have to cut 3500 cals for a pound there is no way I did that yesterday, so I am calling it water weight. Anyway today I am going to take a different approach. I am going to consume small amount of calories probably about 600 cals. I will continue to drop 100 cals a day until I am having just water. The goal here is to have my body focus on the fat reserves for energy. So I will check in tomorrow fp fam.
  • j_belchr
    j_belchr Posts: 2 Member
    that's not healthy at all. your body is going to think your starving to death and cause you to hold on to more weight or to gain it all back when you start eating. remember you are a human and humans need food to live. carbs are brain food you need them for your brain to work. you have a headache because your not eating anything nutritious for your body. why don't you try eating salads for lunch and dinner with protein in them and oatmeal for breakfast.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Either op is a troll or an idiot. Hard to tell some days.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    So, you had a miserable day and couldn't do just the water. Are you surprised ? Why not trying to log your food, eating at a deficit and exercising?

You cannot do a water fast for the rest of your life. Why not learn how to live your life while you lose?
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    <" I will continue to drop 100 cals a day until I am having just water. The goal here is to have my body focus on the fat reserves for energy. So I will check in tomorrow fp fam. ">

This will yield disasterous results...Please research here via search...The weight loss process is a slow one...Wishing you well, however, just don't do what you are stating...
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    So your plan is to eat 600 cals today then drop by 100 until you're at 0. so in a week you're planning to eat 2100 calories. That's not sustainable or healthy, probably even dangerous.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    What will your children/husband think of you when you're losing your muscle, hair, and health because you aren't eating?

Also, VLCDs are not allowed on the forums.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    So how long do you plan to do this?

How long do you think this is sustainable?

How will you keep from gaining the weight back, assuming you actually lose any actual fat in the process?

What is your body supposed to use for fuel while you are doing this?

And last but not least, WHY?
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Seems a very dangerous way to lose weight, and have a think about what might happen when you have to start eating again! Your organs need food not just water, as someone above has said, your body will go into starvation mode! Be careful.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Seems a very dangerous way to lose weight, and have a think about what might happen when you have to start eating again! Your organs need food not just water, as someone above has said, your body will go into starvation mode! Be careful.

This would not be considered starvation mode (which is a myth), this would be considered starving...
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Are you not drinking coffee at the same time? As you've already experienced, coffee withdrawal gives the nastiest symptoms. I'd say giving up caffeine is harder than nicotine, either eat less or give up the coffee, don't do both at the same time.

As for giving up food entirely, that's just dangerous! Have a look at the 5:2 or similar, you are still getting the nutrition on your normal days and the body can cope for the other 2 or 3 days a week. However, you STILL EAT ON FASTING DAYS! (just 600 calories or so).

TBH, you would see benefits just avoiding McDonalds and stop snacking through the day. Its often pointed out that skipping that daily snickers bar in the afternoon or not having a biscuit/cookie with your coffee can be enough to drop a few pounds as these extra calories add up over a week. Also do you have milk with your coffee? goes without saying that a black coffee has less calories than a cappuccino (which lets be honest is mostly just a cup of hot milk with a tiny bit of coffee)
  • pinkiezoom
    Sorry i am new to this what is VLCD?
  • pinkiezoom
    apologies for my incorrect word usage.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Total fasts or very low cal diets can be hard, are generally unsustainable and should be done under some supervision, if you have never done it before.

If you love to eat and still want to lose weight, look into the 5:2 way of eating. It's a partial fast (500cals) on two choosen days a week and normal eating (maintainance cals) on the other 5.

It's a way of eating and you can lose around a pound a week without much suffering and still eat normal on 5 days. I've been eating like this for 18mths and will continue during maintainance. I have less headaches and infections and have been generally very healthy since I started this. I'm definitely a foodie and this is the only thing that has ever worked for me. I was overweight / obese all of my life. Since Jan 2014 and at the age of 44, I finally reached the normal BMI range.

Just a suggestion.

See http://thefastdiet.co.uk/ and the two 5:2 groups on MFP for more information
  • pinkiezoom

This would not be considered starvation mode (which is a myth), this would be considered starving...

apologies for incorrect word usage, my first time on here!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I used to belong to a church that encouraged members to fast for a day as led by the Lord in order to devote it to prayer. Even THEY said you should not do it for more that a day unless it is extreme circumstances because you need food in order to keep a functional brain and body, and that pregnant women and children should never do it. If lengthy fasting is too extreme for religious extremists, it is definitely not a good idea for regular people.

I did it a couple of times. No problem. I just kept drinking water and chewing gum and got through it just fine, BUT never for more than a day and I really, really enjoyed breakfast the next day.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    that's not healthy at all. your body is going to think your starving to death and cause you to hold on to more weight or to gain it all back when you start eating. remember you are a human and humans need food to live. carbs are brain food you need them for your brain to work. you have a headache because your not eating anything nutritious for your body. why don't you try eating salads for lunch and dinner with protein in them and oatmeal for breakfast.

Actually, fasting speeds up your metabolism.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717

I think that anyone who thinks we should be in a constantly fed state is insane.

My $0.02 on Fasting .. I do a 24-36 hour fast about every 10 days or so. It's fantastic. You have better mental clarity and more energy. Every Personal best I have ever set for running has been in a fully fasted state.
  • jabarih
    jabarih Posts: 65 Member
    I think this is a good idea. You said you like to eat. Me too. It is almost like we are addicted to food. So in order to overcome your addiction you go cold turkey. I think if you keep it up you will do great! If you get it down to a true fast to where you are only drinking water, read up on how to break your fast because you have to slowly get your digestive system working again. Good luck and keep up the good work.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    I don't think anyone here is interested in your experience with starving yourself.

Ps - this is a terrible idea.

Another Ps - this is a REALLY terrible idea.
  • tag624
    tag624 Posts: 166 Member
    this sounds like the dumbest idea, I have tried this before, eventually this will lead to binges, and the weight will come back on, plus more, based on your weight you should be eating at least 1600 calories a day
This discussion has been closed.