Pet Lovers, Help!!!!

Options
AlliecoreXX
AlliecoreXX Posts: 78 Member
I am absolutely beyond LIVID right now. So, a few weeks ago this sweet lil cat showed up at our door. My landlord hates cats (to the tune of questioning why they were even created!) so I can't technically keep it; but the neighbor and I have been feeding it. I live on a quiet street without much traffic so it hasn't been a problem. However, I am going to be moving in 5 weeks. I've been toying with the idea of just keeping the cat, since I can have pets at my new house. Problem: I have a lively lab/pit girlie that HATES cats. Well....I don't really think "hates" is the word. She just enjoys watching them run very fast while she chases them. ;) Anyway, because of that, I've pretty much disregarded the idea of keeping the cat. So anyway, this morning the kids were waiting for the bus, and I was mindlessly petting lil kitty and I realized........she is DECLAWED. People, I am beyond livid right now. You don't DECLAW a cat and then dump it outside for any predator to make an easy lunch of!!!!! That is a whole new level of stupidity and cruelty!!!!!! So, I am once again very seriously thinking of keeping the cat. Has anyone had any success in getting dogs/cats to get along as adults? My pup will be kenneled whenever I'm out of the house, which means that they would never be unsupervised together. Is there any hope here? Or am I just better off placing ads online and hoping someone with a better environment will take her? The kids and I love cats and have wanted one for the last 5 years but haven't because of our landlord. But I don't want to make a selfish choice that will end up in the cat getting hurt. I am so extremely pissed right now!!!!!

Replies

• bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    my sons german shepard is like that. We have 2 cats. They pretty much stay in my bedroom/bathroom when I am not home. 1 of them has taking a liking to her so they lay together. Mine can defend themselves though because they have claws. If you can't take it maybe you can find it a home?
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had any success in getting dogs/cats to get along as adults? My pup will be kenneled whenever I'm out of the house, which means that they would never be unsupervised together. Is there any hope here? Or am I just better off placing ads online and hoping someone with a better environment will take her?

You can attempt to acclimate the two pets by keeping the dog in a crate while the cat is nearby. You should be able to tell from the pets' reactions how well they will get along. If you have ANY doubts, I would try to find a good home for the cat.
  • AlliecoreXX
    Options
    I had thought about trying that and seeing how it goes. I think it's worth a shot....but yeah I def won't take any risks. I want her to have a good home by winter if I won't be able to keep her.
  • weight2go
    weight2go Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I also found a Kitty years ago, Sweet as can be--outside no claws and no family. You might be surprised how they act together. We have 2 cats that hate dogs. One will chase the dog. My Daughters cat(goes with her so not one of the 2) however, loves on the dog and dog likes to play with her. They are not ever alone. My Daughters cat has her claws. Our two do not. If you put them together, make sure they are inside and the Kitty has a place to get away from the dog.
  • AlliecoreXX
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm off to work now but really appreciate the input. I'm still pissed at the carelessness of the stupid people who dumped her.... :-/
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Oh poor kitty! I would definitely give it a try! I have 3 cats and my pit loves to chase them but only to try to play. LOL. I would give it at least a few months and if your dog still doesn't like her then I'd find her a home. I agree with you about people declawing cats and then dumping them outside. That makes me so :explode: !

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    As the owner of 5 cats (his cats, my cats, and an extra we picked up at the groomer's), I am beyond livid, too. I'm not allowed a dog right now, but I have had them in the past. My suggestion would be to do what my husband and I did with our cats when we first got married. Since the cats and I moved into his apartment, we kept my cats shut in the bedroom for a couple of days, to let his cats get used to the idea that there were two new animals in the house. There was some ruffled fur for a few weeks, but they eventually settled down, and they now coexist in peace.

When my FIL had a heart attack, we had to keep their 2 dogs for awhile. Though the youngest dog really enjoyed chasing the cats, he never meant them any harm. He eventually became playmates with one of the cats. I really think that the dog and the cat can get used to each other. Since you're moving into a new place, they'll be able to establish 'territories' without the cat seeming like so much of an invader into the dog's territory.

If you find that it's not going to work out to blend your pet family, see if there's a local no-kill pet shelter that can take the cat.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I adopted a cat once from the cat shelter and after the initial introduction did not think it was going to work. They recommended giving it a full month. And that is what it took. Agree, keep the dog kenneled. Cats can jump and hide and get out of a dog's way. I have a hound and he chases the cat but does not hurt it--however, the hound grew up with her so it's a little different.

I wish you luck. I can't stand it when people abandon their animals. You might also take her to a shelter and get her scanned for a microchip. Cats roam...she MAY have a home even if she's showing up daily at your door.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    The dog is part of your 'pack', and you are the alpha. When you introduce any new members of the pack into the house, the dog should recognize that member as under your protection. You need to be firm with the dog if it makes any aggressive moves toward the cat so it knows you are in control and the cat is your pack member too. The cat, being indoors with you all the time, should be fine. We've always had both dogs and cats and the cats have always been safe.
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    The dog is part of your 'pack', and you are the alpha. When you introduce any new members of the pack into the house, the dog should recognize that member as under your protection. You need to be firm with the dog if it makes any aggressive moves toward the cat so it knows you are in control and the cat is your pack member too. The cat, being indoors with you all the time, should be fine. We've always had both dogs and cats and the cats have always been safe.

This +1

The fact that the cat was declawed is infuriating, people that want to do that to animals should have their claws (nails) removed so they know how it feels.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Be VERY careful and supervise them whenever they're together, even after they know one another, if you have any concerns at all about safety. One of my colleagues came home to find that her German Shepherd had killed her cat; they never saw it coming and they don't know what triggered the sudden aggression.

I share your fury about the declawing... that horrible practice should have been outlawed decades ago.

Signed, proud companion of a lovely 16-year-old kitty who got dumped TWICE but now has a safe and happy home until the end of her natural life.
  • AlliecoreXX
    Options
    Y'all are awesome. Thanks for all the solid advice! I'm seriously thinking about giving it a try. Pup will be kenneled whenever I'm not home, and kitty could have a room that is "hers" when I'm away as well. They would definitely never be left alone/unsupervised. I also like the idea of giving it a full month before attempting to re-home kitty (if it doesn't work out). I think this may be worth a try!
  • mikeshockley
    mikeshockley Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    At the VERY least, it should be taken to a no-kill shelter if you can't keep it yourslef. It's a domestic cat and shouldn't be out like that (which has been stated already).

Good luck!!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I so agree with the declawing thing! If it's declawed I would put up some posters first. Maybe it actually belongs to someone and the cat just wanders(declawed I don't know why someone would allow that but people are stupid). Then if no one claims kitty and you keep her I think your dog will eventually calm down. Right now it's new and not really in your lives but once it is in the house I would think your dog will come around. Just keep an eye on them and discipline when needed.
  • AlliecoreXX
    Options
    At the VERY least, it should be taken to a no-kill shelter if you can't keep it yourslef. It's a domestic cat and shouldn't be out like that (which has been stated already).

Good luck!!

I agree completely. My options right now are: 1) keep it and see if she and my dog get along; 2) place ads online to find prospective adoptive families (I will also be placing ads to see if perhaps she just wandered and her family is looking for her); and 3) if neither of these options work, find a no-kill shelter. I can't stand the thought of her going through a winter outside.....she is obviously very used to being a pampered inside cat.
  • AlliecoreXX
    Options
    Update: I currently have an ad up on my town's online yard sale site looking for her owners. I'm hoping someone steps up but we will see.....
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    1. Declawing is EVIL. Wouldn't want to bring the cat where this happened to her.
    2. It is possible to bring cats and dogs together.
    3. If your dog is well trained the dog is not the problem
    4. The cat needs space and time.
    5. Take it slowly.

The whole "alpha-dog" thing is so 90s. A dog does not see you as Alpha dog, simple because you are not a dog.
    But this is not part of the discussion. Just wanted to mention it.
  • AlliecoreXX
    Options
    1. Declawing is EVIL. Wouldn't want to bring the cat where this happened to her.

True. VERY freaking true! I can't fathom doing that to an animal. I already know I'm going to need to give her special care because of this if I do keep her. Poor thing.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Well, on a sarcastic note ... You don't need a scratch post

I can't imagine how this must be for a cat ... All their stability, all their enjoyment for climbing and also her ability to fight and hunting is gone.
    Some humans are so .... "Shakemyheadindisbelieve"
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I so agree with the declawing thing! If it's declawed I would put up some posters first. Maybe it actually belongs to someone and the cat just wanders(declawed I don't know why someone would allow that but people are stupid). Then if no one claims kitty and you keep her I think your dog will eventually calm down. Right now it's new and not really in your lives but once it is in the house I would think your dog will come around. Just keep an eye on them and discipline when needed.

It's possible that the cat could have snuck out.
    The whole "alpha-dog" thing is so 90s. A dog does not see you as Alpha dog, simple because you are not a dog.

I disagree with this statement. Dogs need someone who is a leader -- hence the reason there are Alpha's in packs -- and as a pet owner if you're "dominant" (for lack of a better term) then your dog will view you as the leader which is what you should be. Showing a dog "who's the boss" so to speak establishes his place in the "pack".

It has nothing to do with not being a dog but establishing the pecking order and letting your dog know that they're not the ones who rule the roost.