Extra weight showing up on the scale

Options
I weighed myself the other day and saw that my weight was 163.0. I was happy that I had lost some weight. This morning I weighed myself and the weight was 163.4. I was expecting a decrease. Now I know that weight can fluctuate depending on certain factors. What could this increase be due to? I am definitely in a deficit because I have been tracking accurately as well as exercising. I did eat a lot of bread a couple days ago.

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    It's only 0.4 lbs... maybe you just need to fart.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options

:laugh:

I was gonna say you will have poo'd that 0.4lbs out by tomorrow
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Sodium intake
    Stress
    TOM (though I guess you don't have to worry about that)

Seriously, don't worry about it. As you said, fluctuations are normal.
  • FemWeight
    Options
    many things can come into play on that. Retained water , gas , female issues(didn't look at your profile sorry) .. Its not 4-5 lbs I wouldn't be to worried. Plus if you're exercising it could be a bit of muscle gained. Don't stress though continue to do your calories and you should be fine :)
  • Irishmom516
    Options
    Most likely it's just water weight. Don't sweat it, no pun intended.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    LMFAOOOOO!
    okay I was going to say water, but try this ^
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I always show a gain (of water retention) after high sodium days. Your diary shows that yesterday you had a lot of sodium. My guess is that it is tied into that, but i could be wrong. Nothing to worry about, plus our bodies are weird and weight is never 100% consistent day to day, those small fluctuations are not fat gains, so don't worry. .4 pounds is not that much.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    A better indication of your progress than the numbers on the scale is how your clothes fit. My weight can fluctuate by as much as a pound or two from day to day, but I've dropped two jeans sizes, so that's what I look at more than the number on the scale.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    High sodium and alcohol can cause a temporary up flux. However, more than likely it's just water. I've read repeatedly that your weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs a day from water alone. If you think about how much water is constantly entering and leaving your body (drinking, sweating, peeing, etc.) it does make some sense, at least to account for the small upswing you saw. And like I said, alcohol & sodium in particular can cause your body to hold on to more water than usual. I wouldn't worry about it and just stick to eating right and staying active!
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you're worrying over that tiny amount. I was up a pound yesterday but then realised I hadn't been to the loo for a you know what for a few days. I went that day and this morning I'm back down a pound ????????
  • jmphilippe
    Options
    Beyond the already mentioned fact that most people fluctuate several pounds over the course of the day...I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned that 163.0 and 163.4 are basically the same on typical bathroom scales.

The resolution in pounds on bathroom scales is commonly 0.2 lb, meaning that you would never see a 1/10 of a pound reading that ends in an odd number--so 163.0 could also be 163.1, and 163.4 could also be 163.3. And unless you have a mechanical, upright scale--even the most expensive and top of the line bathroom scales are only accurate to within +/- 2 lb.

So in reality, there is no way to discern a relative difference of 0.4 lb. Step on and off your bathroom scale at least 5 times (letting the LED shut off between each), and you will probably see a difference in readings of at least 0.4 lb.

...however; if you see a change of 0.4 pounds each day for a whole week, that's data you can make some sense of.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuates on a day to day basis... it all depends on how much water weight you expelled out when sleeping or what you ate that needs to come out the day before. this is why daily weighing one's self needs to be taken with caution and the acceptance that tiny fluctuations will happen and that the only weigh in that really counts is that one designated day of the week. don't worry.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    dude...
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I had a high sodium day (as in, over double what I usually eat) on Monday... yesterday I woke up to a 2lb gain. Drank the heck out of water all day long and this morning those 2lbs was gone, plus a tad extra. Just fluctuations...nothing to be alarmed about!

ETA: Not to say I wasn't bummed about those 2lbs...but logging my food helped me see what the problem was, and I knew what to do...drink water! And all was well in my world again :)
  • Terri6627
    Terri6627 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I just woke up and I can say this has already made my day.
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    LOL! 0.4 pounds should not be worried about. Fart, Poop, Pee, drink more water to flush out toxins, even move your scale to a different spot. You could also try to stay away from refined carbs today and reduce your sodium intake.. then weigh tomorrow and see where you're at.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Now that's the best post of the day.

OP it's just normal fluctuations weigh less often if they bother you. I'm 3 pounds lighter than yesterday in all likelihood I'll be heavier tomorrow. Just follow the trends
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You are freaking out over 6 ounces? Take a dump, then write back and tell us how you found a miracle way to lose 6 ounces.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    dude...

This right here is the perfect response.
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry yourself over 0.4lbs. As most have said, could be due to many things - probably water retention.

To be honest, I wouldn't even be concerned if the number was must higher. I've been on holiday for almost 3 weeks & 'gained' 7lbs. I knew the majority would be water due to the amount of crap that I drank/ate & I was right. In 5 days I've 'lost' 5lbs (through a healthy, balanced diet - no starving myself).

Try & not focus too much on the number you see on the scale, it lies! Take measurements/pictures every few weeks & track your progress that way too.