Severe Lower Abdominal Cramping while Running

Options
gtwin
gtwin Posts: 290 Member
Have any of you ladies experienced severe cramping about 5-10 minutes into running? They feel like severe menstrual cramps in the lower abdominal area. I get them when I'm not on my period and it gets so bad that I feel like I'm going to give birth (I'm not pregnant, BTW) and it generally takes about 20 minutes to subside. Just wondering if any other women have experienced this.....

Replies

• ShannanRenae
    Options
    When was the last time you had a pap smear? It maybe cysts on your ovaries....they can be painful & they can also burst on their own, but just got get checked out please.
  • tananichelle
    tananichelle Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had that happen one time half-way through a yoga class. It sucked, and I was sore for days after... The abs are muscles like any other, so it makes sense that they would seize up and cramp too. Take it easy, and give it some time to heal.
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My last pap was about 6 months ago, I mentioned this issue a couple of times before because it's been a problem for the last 10 years. The Dr. said there was nothing wrong. They did a pap smear, ultrasound and didn't find anything. So I'm guessing it's just something I have to deal with for the rest of my life.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    There's always the possibility of food allergies. Probably not the case, but I realized I was allergic to onions when I felt like I was giving birth as they passed through my intestines. It was seriously exacerbated by running, too.

Maybe keep track of what you ate just prior and see if that helps?
  • ChanyRae
    ChanyRae Posts: 112
    Options
    I get a sharp pain in my side when I'm running and doing cardio.....I've had everything checked out, I'm totally healthy. After trial and error, i've found that if I dont drink tons of water right before my workout, and none during, I dont get that pain! And if I do...the pain comes back. If my mouth gets really dry during a workout, I take a sip but thats it. And am sure to replenish with plenty of water after my cardio session :)

Seems odd i know, and I'm not sure if your pain is at all the same just thought i'd share lol
  • ShannanRenae
    Options
    Im glad you had that check & everything is fine!!!! Maybe its juss those abs contracting while your working out....Im sorry your havin this pain though! THAT TOTALLY SUCKS!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Check your hydration. I know this is gross....but if your urine isn't a pale yellow with very little odor you may be dehydrated. I had this problem when my hydration was all screwed up.
  • ninichka11
    Options
    I get this cramping in my lower abdomen. It usually occurs when I'm getting back into running after some time off. I think it's just my body getting used to running. I've learned that if I walk as soon as I start feeling the cramps, they will go away in about 2 minutes. Then I can run pain free. The longer I wait before I stop running, the longer it takes for the cramping to stop. I've learned to listen to my body and over time I experience it less and less until I can run without getting any cramps.
  • Whagwan83
    Whagwan83 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This might seem obvious but could it be a stitch?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch