Thyroid Problems..Anyone else??

Options
I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism, so I had to take a pill of radioactive Iodine to "kill off" my thyroid. I am having to take thyroid replacement pills, one a day, for the rest of my life. The doctors still haven't been able to stabilize my thyroid levels, so they said it may be very difficult to lose weight. When I was diagnosed, I had gained about 40 pounds in 2 months, and this is the most I have ever weighed. I am tired of it!! SO, I am VERY determined this time.

My question is......Does anyone else have this problem?? And what are some good remedies or exercises to help out? Anything I can do to speed up the process of my weight loss???

Thanks!!

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    HYPER or HYPO?

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism which casue me to gain more weight. After I los 20 lbs and some medication later my levels are normal and I have been off the meds for 2 months.

I ask becasue a hyperthyroid casues TOO much of the hormone which makes your metabolism sky rocket resulting in aprid weight loss.
  • dreamc08
    dreamc08 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with HYPOthyroidism. I have a really hard time losing weight, no matter what I do. I just had my levothyroxine increased again...it seems to help give me a bit of energy boost.

Good luck!
  • clingybabe
    clingybabe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes! I had goiters on my thryroid and had to do the iodine treatment also, which means I have no functioning thyroid left, either. It is very frustrating, and it took awhile to get the right dose of medicine figured out. The hardest part for me was when I swung from hyper to hypo. I felt like I got hit by a truck. Did that happen to you? That was about 6 years ago for me. Now my TSH is stabilized and I am finally addressing my weight issue. I gained 40 pounds during that whole time period and I just started mfp a few weeks ago. I want to lose 75. I will be your friend and we can compare notes!
  • Pita0224
    Pita0224 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm going through the same thing! I was diagnosed with Graves disease this past July and did the radioactive iodine and took methimazole as well to kill my thyroid. Funny thing is, like you, I gained weight with hyperthyroidism. I'm currently trying to get my levels back up to "normal" now. The most important thing I was told was that the first three months of becoming hypo are crucial for weight control and exercising, because that's when most people gain even more weight due to our metabolism slowing down. My endo told me it's not uncommon for people to gain 20-30 pounds! That information alone was enough to wake me up and here I am. I found that exercising has helped my fatigue, but have yet to figure out any tricks to help. I follow a lot of people on here with hypothyroidism because that's basically what you and I are now and it's great to see how they haven't let it change their lives or affect their weight. Stay patient, consistent and just remember that despite the size of the thyroid, it's overwhelming how much of body it controls. If you can form the habit now of eating right and working out, it will come very easy when you reach the normal levels in your body and the weight will come off :-) Best of luck to you, I'll send you a friend request so we can support each other!
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism, so I had to take a pill of radioactive Iodine to "kill off" my thyroid. I am having to take thyroid replacement pills, one a day, for the rest of my life. The doctors still haven't been able to stabilize my thyroid levels, so they said it may be very difficult to lose weight. When I was diagnosed, I had gained about 40 pounds in 2 months, and this is the most I have ever weighed. I am tired of it!! SO, I am VERY determined this time.

My question is......Does anyone else have this problem?? And what are some good remedies or exercises to help out? Anything I can do to speed up the process of my weight loss???

Thanks!!

Hyper or HYPO? Hypo thyroid makes it difficult to lose weight. I have hypo as well and just recently got my levels under control. I was told by my endocrinologist that hypo does not make you gain the weight, but rather makes it harder to lose weight. I am by NO means a Dr, but gaining 40 lbs in 2 months sounds more then a thyroid issue.
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    I went through a year of thyroiditis (rare but a total body wrecker) I was hyper and hypo and gained weight with both conditions until it burned itself out- 15 pounds that stayed stubbornly on. I am back to normal now but still trying to work off that weight after 2 surgeries set me back.
    So yeah- definitely had the thyroid stuff.
  • branuat
    Options
    I feel your pain. constantly tired. Pushing yourself every minute of the day, blood rushing, fatigue with every bite of food, hair falling out, and a once great body looking as if someone else has it. I was diagnosed after the birth of my second child, was on synthroid for years. Then lost my insurance, my doctor told me to get sea kelp to help my thyroid. She knew I lost my insurance, I have found the kelp helps I buy the wiegh loss vitamins at the dollar tree. they contain kelp, apple cider vinegar, and vitamin B. They help!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I also was diagnosed with hypothyroid. I had my thyroid levels figured out then started losing weight and then it showed my thyroid levels were too high again. So I am still trying to get the levels right. But at least I am losing
  • dsolano901
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed with the iodine treatment as well and I gained 30 lbs from it. The doc's never seem to be able to stablize my thyroid with medication but I have found it very helpful to make sure you follow the directions for the medicine and take it first thing in the morning, same time and on an empty stomache..that seems to help alot. I'm eating right and exercising and after 4 weeks it's starting to come off but it is a VERY slow process!!!!!
  • Pita0224
    Pita0224 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was reading through some of the other replies and was surprised to see how many people questioned your weight gain with hyperthyroidism. Just an FYI to anyone else that will post, even though hyperthyroidism typically makes people lose weight rapidly, it also more than doubles your appetite due to the increased metabolism and this is why people also gain weight even though they are hyper. 40lb in only 2 months sounds exactly like a thyroid problem, nothing more.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I also have graves (Hyper) but opted to not have the radioactive iodine out of complete fear. I am happy that I didn't as I have been in remission for years now. My dad is Hypo and has all kinds of issues regulating his meds. When he is not on enough he gets really bloated and gains weight.
  • blondie_0506
    Options
    Yes, my condition was HYPERthyroid, but like I said I took the radioactive iodine to kill my thyroid off, so now I am HYPOthyroid, I guess you could say. The reason I gained so much weight is because the doctors that I took the radioactive iodine pill from didn't tell me to go back to my regular doctor to get levrothyroxine(or however u spell it), so I basically didn't have a metabolism or anything at that point.

Thank you all for your support and ideas!! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one out here with this problem!!
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    ahhh well then that makes sense then!! Good luck with your weight loss journey. Just keep up with diet and exercise and you'll do fine... It may take a little bit longer, but slow and steady wins the race!
  • blondie_0506
    Options
    Thanks!! I'm hoping I can lose at least 15 by the time summer gets here!!
  • SFinn
    SFinn Posts: 43
    Options
    I was reading through some of the other replies and was surprised to see how many people questioned your weight gain with hyperthyroidism. Just an FYI to anyone else that will post, even though hyperthyroidism typically makes people lose weight rapidly, it also more than doubles your appetite due to the increased metabolism and this is why people also gain weight even though they are hyper. 40lb in only 2 months sounds exactly like a thyroid problem, nothing more.

40 pounds in 2 months simply due to a thyroid problem? Seems excessive. Your appetite does increase a lot, but in order to gain 40 pounds in addition to the increased metabolism is extreme. It means an intake of a lot of food. I'm not saying there is another underlying issue, but that is definitely NOT typical. Possible, not typical.
  • blondie_0506
    Options

40 pounds in 2 months simply due to a thyroid problem? Seems excessive. Your appetite does increase a lot, but in order to gain 40 pounds in addition to the increased appetite is extreme. It means an intake of a lot of food. I'm not saying there is another underlying issue, but that is definitely NOT typical. Possible, not typical.

My thyroid was killed off, so I had like no metabolism or anything for two months, so I gained excessive amounts of weight....
  • SFinn
    SFinn Posts: 43
    Options
    Oooh no sorry, wasn't responding to you. With the hypo and a non-existant thyroid that's completely possible. I was saying for strictly hyperthyroidism, it would be unlikely.
  • blondie_0506
    Options
    Oooh no sorry, wasn't responding to you. With the hypo and a non-existant thyroid that's completely possible. I was saying for strictly hyperthyroidism, it would be unlikely.

I dont know much about that, but maybe so. I just hate the whole problem of the thyroid! lol The motivation that has got me going is my 30 pairs of A&F and Hollister jeans that don't fit anymore just sitting in a box up in my attic!! haha I'm determined to lose the weight, with or without a thyroid problem! :)
  • runracer11
    runracer11 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and my levels are constantly being adjusted even 3 years post-partum. When I go into hypothyroid territory, I lose all energy, go into a mental fog, depression and need to sleep a lot. In addition, I eat a lot of carbs because I feel desperate for energy. It is not uncommon for me to gain 10 pounds in 2 weeks. And no, I don't eat THAT much. Anyway, I got an increased dose of synthroid last November and I'm now feeling energetic and like I can lose the weight if I can just stay at this energy level. But I just had my blood work redone on Monday and I'm fearful that it will show I'm hyper, because I don't want to be put on a lower dose! I love being on the border -- almost hyperthyroid. My energy at that spot can border on manic (in a good way -- very productive, happy, etc...).
    Anyone who is in this boat, send me a friend request if you want! It is a constant struggle that I've been dealing with for 20 years (10 undiagnosed, those were the pits!).
  • blondie_0506
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and my levels are constantly being adjusted even 3 years post-partum. When I go into hypothyroid territory, I lose all energy, go into a mental fog, depression and need to sleep a lot. In addition, I eat a lot of carbs because I feel desperate for energy. It is not uncommon for me to gain 10 pounds in 2 weeks. And no, I don't eat THAT much. Anyway, I got an increased dose of synthroid last November and I'm now feeling energetic and like I can lose the weight if I can just stay at this energy level. But I just had my blood work redone on Monday and I'm fearful that it will show I'm hyper, because I don't want to be put on a lower dose! I love being on the border -- almost hyperthyroid. My energy at that spot can border on manic (in a good way -- very productive, happy, etc...).
    Anyone who is in this boat, send me a friend request if you want! It is a constant struggle that I've been dealing with for 20 years (10 undiagnosed, those were the pits!).

I totally know how you're feeling!! Some days I just don't want to get out of bed because they have me on too low of a dose!! When I was Hyperthyroid, I didn't like it either (besides the fact that I actually could eat anything I wanted and not gain a pound lol) because my heart was always racing and I felt dizzy. I'm just hoping to get everything under control!! But I definitely know what you're going thru!!