Fasting what to expect

Options

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Stop fasting and start lowering your intake. Start seeing how simple it is instead of making it some sinister bugaboo that sits on your shoulder and pushes food into your mouth.

:noway:
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    that's not healthy at all. your body is going to think your starving to death and cause you to hold on to more weight or to gain it all back when you start eating. remember you are a human and humans need food to live. carbs are brain food you need them for your brain to work. you have a headache because your not eating anything nutritious for your body. why don't you try eating salads for lunch and dinner with protein in them and oatmeal for breakfast.

Actually, fasting speeds up your metabolism.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717

I think that anyone who thinks we should be in a constantly fed state is insane.

My $0.02 on Fasting .. I do a 24-36 hour fast about every 10 days or so. It's fantastic. You have better mental clarity and more energy. Every Personal best I have ever set for running has been in a fully fasted state.

Your personal bests, YOU'RE experience. Probably because you weighed less after a fast. That won't work when you're at a normal weight and at your peak fitness. You'll need to fuel to really get moving. You need your liver and muscles to be full of glycogen to do that. No athlete at the Olympics would have been anything but constantly fed to compete. They just use all their calories wisely.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Either op is a troll or an idiot. Hard to tell some days.

Shawshank for president!
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    I think this is a good idea. You said you like to eat. Me too. It is almost like we are addicted to food. So in order to overcome your addiction you go cold turkey. I think if you keep it up you will do great! If you get it down to a true fast to where you are only drinking water, read up on how to break your fast because you have to slowly get your digestive system working again. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Brilliant. In fact, dead people hardly weigh anything. Let's all go on the death diet.

While we are on the subject, let's also run our cars without ANY gasoline!! Think of the money we'll save $$$$$$$
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Total fasts or very low cal diets can be hard, are generally unsustainable and should be done under some supervision, if you have never done it before.

If you love to eat and still want to lose weight, look into the 5:2 way of eating. It's a partial fast (500cals) on two choosen days a week and normal eating (maintainance cals) on the other 5.

It's a way of eating and you can lose around a pound a week without much suffering and still eat normal on 5 days. I've been eating like this for 18mths and will continue during maintainance. I have less headaches and infections and have been generally very healthy since I started this. I'm definitely a foodie and this is the only thing that has ever worked for me. I was overweight / obese all of my life. Since Jan 2014 and at the age of 44, I finally reached the normal BMI range.

Just a suggestion.

See http://thefastdiet.co.uk/ and the two 5:2 groups on MFP for more information

This^

Why not try something that is sustainable long term. I started intermittent fasting recently. I had been unable to stick to a diet 7 days a week. I got sick of the 1 step forward 2 steps back thing. This allows me 5 normal days and 2 hard days.

Here's some information on 5:2: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I think this is a good idea. You said you like to eat. Me too. It is almost like we are addicted to food. So in order to overcome your addiction you go cold turkey. I think if you keep it up you will do great! If you get it down to a true fast to where you are only drinking water, read up on how to break your fast because you have to slowly get your digestive system working again. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Brilliant. In fact, dead people hardly weigh anything. Let's all go on the death diet.

DYEDD?
  • Springfield1970
    Options

DYEDD?

Chuckling! Quite loud!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I do LeanGains style Intermittent Fasting.
    Doing it over a year now (Started Aug. 6th 2013)

Took me about 7 - 10 days to get used to not eating in the morning (for 16 hrs)

This is normal.

Eventually your body will get used to it.

If you are experiencing problems then......you may not be able to do Intermittent Fasting (whichever protocol)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

DYEDD?

:laugh: Thanks, I needed a laugh this morning:drinker: OMG! "It's almost like we're addicted to food"???? Well, duh, that's what keeps us alive. We cannot train our bodies to NOT require or crave it. Please stop it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Totally clueless........how does one go "cold turkey" with food? It's not like cigarettes. Food is life sustaining....cigarettes are not.

OP - do you want to lose fat, or do you just want to lose weight? When you starve your body it will have to make choices. Do I fuel heart muscle....or do I fuel a full head of hair? Fast long enough and your hair will start to fall out. Yes, your body is storing fat.....but fat does not fuel 100% of your body's needs. Your body will fuel your brain before it fuels existing muscle mass, which means you will lose fat+muscle eventually. Reducing body fat % is healthy weight loss.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Anyone else think this person is the op?
  • oremus1
    oremus1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    are there any mods on MFP
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I'm just confused as to how the OP says she is 34 in her post, but her profile says 39?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I'm just confused as to how the OP says she is 34 in her post, but her profile says 39?

magical unicorn. :wink:

I am really 26. :wink:
    honest :devil: :devil:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options

don't feed the trolls....or encourage insanity. this is NOT a good idea.
  • Jetta_C
    Options
    Don't let the headache throw you - that will pass. But yes, it is painful. You use up all your glycogen and all at once fat starts dumping into your system. The body is clever - it uses fat cells to store all kind of stuff that would be toxic to the body (this is because fat cells are not nearly as metabolically active as muscle cells - think of them as the body's "closets" where you can store stuff.) Once all this starts dumping into your system, it feels unpleasant. I fyou don't feel it is breaking your fast, it might help to drink some Milk Thistle tea because it will help the liver process anything toxic (like heavy metals) that is dumping out of your fat cells.

It helps if you ease into a water fast. Improve your eating gradually and move towards a light, vegetarian diet, Then, when you move to pure water, your body is a little better prepared.

Eventually, when you fast, you will go into ketosis. For many people (myself included) it creates a slightly hyper feeling, very energetic, and be prepared that you will have trouble sleeping. Needless to say, water fasts should be short if you are not having medical supervision.

And, of course, if the whole affair just feels too unpleasant, there are other ways to lose weight. But fasting for a couple days, contrary to what laypeople think, is not going to kill you, or even hurt you. The body is way smarter than that.

Good luck!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    At current stats, OPs TDEE is 2100 calories, and she wants to lose 100 pounds.

3500 calories per pound
    x 100 lbs to lose
    = 350,000 calories to lose
    / 2100 TDEE
    = 167 days worth of calories

So, OP, continue your water fast until St. Patrick's Day and you will be all set!!!!
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

I just spit water out of my mouth! :laugh:
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If you're going to fast, at least do something safer like Intermittent Fasting where you're at least eating your daily calories.

Before I found out about just watching my calories and portions (5-ish years ago), I lost a lot of weight by not eating ("water fast") and within a year of just eating normally, I had put it all that weight back on, plus an additional 20 lbs. Just don't do it.
  • BlessedMoon
    BlessedMoon Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There are numerous posts on MFP regarding intermittent fasting. It's not for everyone, but if done properly many people have great results. I recommend searching for these posts and doing further research on your own to discern what the best approach for you is. Just because others may not believe this is adequate or an appropriate form of losing or maintaining weight, it's simply that, their belief. Look at the facts to make an informed decision.
This discussion has been closed.