Creatine and low carb?

Options
Is there any point taking creatine at the start of a low carb diet? I've read that towards the start of a low carb diet you lose a lot of water weight. So would taking creatine be pointless at this stage? I've been low carb for about a week now.

Replies

• BradWI
    BradWI Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't care if you don't lose 0lbs. or 8 lbs. of water weight via low carb. Your goal should be fat loss not water loss.

If you're lifting, take the creatine.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I see what you're saying and thanks for the reply. I'm just concerned that i will not get the full benefits of using the creatine.
  • BradWI
    BradWI Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A quick google of "creatine ketosis" and discussions on reddit and BB seem to say creatine is fine for keto/low carb.
  • emmanuel4everjackson
    Options
    I have taken creatine off & on for the last 20 years & think that the low carb diet will not effect the benefits. That said, how you take the creatine is very important to it's effectiveness. The best time to get some carbs & creatine is immediately following your workout - THEY GO TOGETHER FOR MAXIMUM RESULTS. (take a teaspoon full like a man and wash it down with 8oz of a non acidic beverage- the mixing is in the mouth, not the glass)
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I have taken creatine off & on for the last 20 years & think that the low carb diet will not effect the benefits. That said, how you take the creatine is very important to it's effectiveness. The best time to get some carbs & creatine is immediately following your workout - THEY GO TOGETHER FOR MAXIMUM RESULTS. (take a teaspoon full like a man and wash it down with 8oz of a non acidic beverage- the mixing is in the mouth, not the glass)

This just made me gag. I don't care what brand you use and how "tasteless" they say it is. The stuff is just nasty with water alone. I hide it in my protein shakes.
  • emmanuel4everjackson
    Options

This just made me gag. I don't care what brand you use and how "tasteless" they say it is. The stuff is just nasty with water alone. I hide it in my protein shakes.

That's why I take it with 8oz of a beverage with carbohydrates, not water... & that's also why I said "like a man" - It's not the method of choice for many. With a protein shake works too :)
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! only just seen this. Yeah creatine tastes horrible lol. I just put it in a pint of water and neck it as quick as i can