Replies

• srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    No taco seasoning?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Now I'm confused do I follow this one or the improved one??? Damn recipes are getting complicated these days
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Now I'm confused do I follow this one or the improved one??? Damn recipes are getting complicated these days

Do you want tex/mex or veggies? This is not rocket cooking.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I still like mine better. Doesn't make any difference if it's from a can or has green beans in it. It doesn't matter if it doesn't have cheese or bread in it. Of course I understand that everyone here has their own opinions.

There should be jail time attached to what some people do to food.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    You must mean a teaspoon and not a tablespoon of salt. Still, too much salt if you ask me, but at least you're not likely to kill yourself eating it.
  • srslybritt
    Options
    You must mean a teaspoon and not a tablespoon of salt. Still, too much salt if you ask me, but at least you're not likely to kill yourself eating it.

Maybe not, but there is the possibility of third degree burns.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    So when was the last time you had your blood pressure checked?
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    THIS is French onion soup. Green beans would never 'upgrade' the toasted French bread and cheese baked on top. Sorry.

P63382612080903_5.jpg

Yeppers... and here's how to get there!

Original recipe makes 4 servings

4 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 large red onions, thinly sliced
    2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
    1 (48 fluid ounce) can chicken broth
    1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
    1/2 cup red wine
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 sprigs fresh parsley
    1 sprig fresh thyme leaves
    1 bay leaf
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    4 pinches paprika
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    4 thick slices French or Italian bread
    8 slices Gruyere or Swiss cheese slices, room temperature
    1/2 cup shredded Asiago or mozzarella cheese, room temperature

Directions

Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in salt, red onions and sweet onions. Cook 35 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized and almost syrupy.

Mix chicken broth, beef broth, red wine and Worcestershire sauce into pot. Bundle the parsley, thyme, and bay leaf with twine and place in pot. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard the herbs. Reduce the heat to low, mix in vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep over low heat to stay hot while you prepare the bread.

Preheat oven broiler. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet and broil 3 minutes, turning once, until well toasted on both sides. Remove from heat; do not turn off broiler.

Arrange 4 large oven safe bowls or crocks on a rimmed baking sheet. Fill each bowl 2/3 full with hot soup. Top each bowl with 1 slice toasted bread, 2 slice Gruyere cheese and 1/4 of the Asiago or mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle a little bit of paprika over the top of each one.

Broil 5 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. As it softens, the cheese will cascade over the sides of the crock and form a beautifully melted crusty seal. Serve immediately!
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    French onion soup without the cheese=bowl full of disappointment
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    THIS is French onion soup. Green beans would never 'upgrade' the toasted French bread and cheese baked on top. Sorry.

P63382612080903_5.jpg

4 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup red wine
    2 sprigs fresh parsley
    1 bay leaf
    4 pinches paprika

Directions

Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in salt, red onions and sweet onions. Cook 35 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized and almost syrupy.

Mix chicken broth, beef broth, red wine and Worcestershire sauce into pot. Bundle the parsley, thyme, and bay leaf with twine and place in pot. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard the herbs. Reduce the heat to low, mix in vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep over low heat to stay hot while you prepare the bread.

Preheat oven broiler. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet and broil 3 minutes, turning once, until well toasted on both sides. Remove from heat; do not turn off broiler.

Arrange 4 large oven safe bowls or crocks on a rimmed baking sheet. Fill each bowl 2/3 full with hot soup. Top each bowl with 1 slice toasted bread, 2 slice Gruyere cheese and 1/4 of the Asiago or mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle a little bit of paprika over the top of each one.

Broil 5 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. As it softens, the cheese will cascade over the sides of the crock and form a beautifully melted crusty seal. Serve immediately!

OMG... my mouth is watering now... LOL looks soooo good!
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Here's a "Light French Onion Soup" recipe I plan to make one of these days...392 mg sodium. Maybe this Fall.

http://www.health.com/health/recipe/0,,10000001842491,00.html

This looks yummy!

bump for later, I LOVE French onion soup! :love:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

P63382612080903_5.jpg

4 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup red wine
    2 sprigs fresh parsley
    1 bay leaf
    4 pinches paprika

Directions

I wish my husband didn't have an intolerance to onions... I want to make this and put it in my belly...

Sorry OP, but your salt infused version makes me want to gag... it's nothing personal, I just don't like a lot of salt... I don't even salt bland food...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Progressive soups have a lot of salt in them. Adding a tablespoon of salt would kill the taste.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Just about every "recipe"posted by the OP is:

A can of something
    A can of green beans
    Too much salt
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    So I guess maybe I should have left my recipes off here? Is that what everyone is implementing?

Have any of u checked out the cabbage and bacon recipe I posted?

Normally, I'd say if someone is healthy don't worry about your sodium intake but after seeing your 'recipes' and checking your food diary. It's scary because, lady, you are a heart attack or a stroke waiting to happen.

You have a day of 11,000 PLUS mg of sodium. A few days earlier it was 5000+.... You have some low days but MOST are well over 3000. You'll kill yourself eating like that long term.

Seriously, you need to lay off all that processed food. If it comes in a can it's high in sodium. Also, a TABLESPOON should never be used as a measurement for salt in a single serving recipe. 1 Tablespoon doesn't 'enhance' anything, it over powers it.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    majv9l.jpg
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    French onion soup without the cheese=bowl full of disappointment

Actually, without the cheese it isn't actually french onion soup. It's just onion soup. :P

And really, if that's the case...wth is the point?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Hold the soup.

Take the beans, add cream of mushroom soup and a can of those french fried onions, maybe some pepper. Bake. Classic holiday processed food casserole for your enjoyment.
  • srslybritt
    Options
    Hold the soup.

Take the beans, add cream of mushroom soup and a can of those french fried onions, maybe some pepper. Bake. Classic holiday processed food casserole for your enjoyment.

No, no.

Cream of chicken soup. I'm anti-fungus.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Hold the soup.

No, no.

Cream of chicken soup. I'm anti-fungus.

For you we still use cream of mushroom, but add Lamasil.