Works out for a Woman ( weights)

I am starting to get my work out routine back for Monday morning and I was looking for something with weights more so. I want to tone up and lose the fat. Where doe everyone get their routines from ?

I was using one from Body building.com but I find I got very bored with hers after 6 weeks ( was a 12 week program) and wasn't seeing that much of a difference either. I will be using the gym, so as long as it using the "basic" gym equipment I can do it.. I can't be doing a workout that includes flipping a tire lol :P

Thanks guys !!!!!

Replies

• nikkerbob
    nikkerbob Posts: 78 Member
    The same exercises that are for men. Lifting weights does not need to be gender specific.

LOL, maybe I should of been more specific. Where are you getting these workouts... I don't need for specially a girl, I just want a good work out and not sure where to look.
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    I do Strong Lifts, slightly modified right now though as I'm training for a 10k run. But I found it to be pretty good, you can also add more accessory work if needed.

73529108.png
  • RawIndian
    RawIndian Posts: 90 Member
    I second stronglifts. Very simple but powerful plan.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Stronglifts 5X5... Loved this as a beginner.
  • You're saying you got board and weren't seeing changes. Were your lifts increasing in weight?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I was using one from Body building.com but I find I got very bored with hers after 6 weeks ( was a 12 week program) and wasn't seeing that much of a difference either.

It's going to take a lot longer than 6 weeks to see any difference aesthetically, to be honest, especially if you have a lot of body fat to lose. That's why for shorter term goals, you could focus on the amount of weight you progress with and other fitness type goals.

Programs you can look into:

Strong Curves (they have different program levels and types included)
    AllPros
    Stronglifts
    Starting Strength
    NROLFW

Also, bodybuilding.com has a variety of programs so even though there was one that bored you, there are a ton more that might not. Otherwise, maybe weights isn't the strength/resistance training you were looking for and consider more the lines of resistant bands, TRX, swimming, sprinting, bodyweight programs that include progressive variations.

The only other thing I could say is to just commit to it regardless and get it done if you really want to work on body composition.
  • I've done Kris Gethin's 12 wk plan a couple times. The first couple weeks where he's traveling are a bit sloppy but overall it worth trying. He uses a lot of different machines but I'd suggest it because you can always watch the video to see what and how he does it.
  • nikkerbob
    You're saying you got board and weren't seeing changes. Were your lifts increasing in weight?

I try to increase every Monday... Some times its a little harder cause I would out alone.. no spotter... but I do increase.... I think it was more of a bored, working out alone more than anything lol
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Stronglifts 5X5... Loved this as a beginner.
    This^
  • You're saying you got board and weren't seeing changes. Were your lifts increasing in weight?

I try to increase every Monday... Some times its a little harder cause I would out alone.. no spotter... but I do increase.... I think it was more of a bored, working out alone more than anything lol
    If the problem is working out alone than the program you run doesn't matter! Find a workout buddy, or competitor.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    i make mine up. i use the "machines" but also do free weights. sometimes i will use dumb-bells and lift those different ways (straight up, leaning forward and lifting behind me, etc.) other times i will use a barbell. i mix it up and just watch others and copy what the men do (only use a bit less weight than some of them!) i increase every two weeks and i lift heavy.
    :smile:
  • nikkerbob
    You're saying you got board and weren't seeing changes. Were your lifts increasing in weight?

If the problem is working out alone than the program you run doesn't matter! Find a workout buddy, or competitor.

Oh I have been trying for over a year lol... Its just me and I have to get over it.. A friend isn't going to lose the weight for me.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    I used starting strength (book by mark rippetoe(similair to Stronglifts)) at first and am now doing wendlers 5/3/1 with my lower body assistance from strong curves (Bret contraras) and upper body assistance from a free bodybuilding.com routine (think it was the Jamie Eason one).

Edit: I don't think you'd be bored with any of these - I workout alone too. When boredom creeps in or lifts start to stall, I change something up.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    fitnessblender.com
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Stronglifts 5x5
  • sm42484
    sm42484 Posts: 2 Member
    I've started the Tone It Up Frisky Fall challenge. New workouts everyday, and the amount of weight you use is up to you. They provide printouts for most workouts so you can take it with you to the gym. I've been working out/lifting for a long time and don't let these girls fool you! The workouts are much harder than they look, I am sore as hell today (but I LOVE it).

I also did the Firm Thin in 30 DVD set (again, you can choose your weight). I liked this b/c the workouts are short and incorporate HIIT, and in the entire 30 days you do not repeat a workout. I also get very bored and need constant change.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    The same exercises that are for men. Lifting weights does not need to be gender specific.

LOL, maybe I should of been more specific. Where are you getting these workouts... I don't need for specially a girl, I just want a good work out and not sure where to look.
    Since you already ventured over to bb.com you can look in their workouts section and there is a sticky for beginner programs.

Starting strength
    Stronglifts
    Ice cream fitness
    All pro
    There are several other great programs.

If you don't want to use anything like that, you can look up:
    Bret Contreras
    NROLFW

Find something you like and stick with it.

^this
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    I'm part of the Nerd Fitness Academy. I love everything about it - education, community, and a bunch of great workouts.
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    I second stronglifts. Very simple but powerful plan.

Agreed
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Stronglifts is an excellent place to start :)