Getting enough protein, without too much fat?

Options
Hi guys, I am looking for some help in relation to protein. As a vegetarian, I seem to really be struggling to get enough protein without going over on my fat allowances. Can anyone suggest any meals/foods that are high in protein but will allow me to stay within my fat allowance which MFP has set at 60g?

A typical day for me would look something like this:

Breakfast - A little shake I make up myself to try and get in some protein and fruit (I am not very good at eating fruit in solid form!): Light soya milk, 0% greek yoghurt, 1tsp peanut butter, 1 banana, 200ml fresh orange juice and 1/2 tin peaches.

Lunch: A sandwhich with lettuce and some kind of quorn chicken/turkey pieces etc.

Snacks: carrots/raw pepper with low fat hummus, brazil nuts

Dinner: Some kind of meat substitute i.e. tofu or quorn, with rice and veg, or something like a homemade lentil curry

Desert: a few squares of chocolate. I have to have this as without it I am highly likely to binge on chocolate after a few days!!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Fat-free or low-fat dairy: Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese
    Silk Organic unsweetened soy milk is my favorite, 8th generation plain is my 2nd--both have good amounts of protein
    chick peas, lentils, beans
    grain: barley, quinoa
    snacks: Kay's Naturals are gluten free, high in protein, and come in some good flavors, I really like the cinnamon toast sticks.
    You might like to try a protein powder, you can add it to your soothies. I use mlo vegetarian protein. I also like Spirutein.
    Do you eat egg? Eggs are a great source of protein. Don't be scared of the fat, or use some whole, some whites.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Fage 2% plain yogurt=20g protein, 4g fat
    Bear Naked Honey almond Protein Granola= 10 g protein, 7g fat
    1 can Progresso Lentil soup= 300 calories, 20g protein, 4g fat.

Other than that I eat chicken and eggs.

And you do need some fat in your diet, so don't go crazy with the low fat/ no fat stuff!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason why you're trying to stay lower on fat (aside from "MFP told me so")? I have gallbladder issues, so I am unable to have more than one fat source at each meal/snack, but if you don't have that issue, then don't worry. You're eating healthy fats. They are good for you! It seems like your diet is fairly healthy...
  • dressagediva51
    dressagediva51 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, thanks, that is really helpful!

Re the reason why I am trying to stay lower on fat, nope there is no medical reason, I just don't really know much (well, anything) about nutrition (I'm new to all this!). So I assumed that I should be sticking to the number that MFP churned out for me. I also had a look online and the recommendation for women's intake of fat seems to be around 70g. I'm also conscious of trying to look after my arteries/heart, and I guess I err on the side of caution when it comes to fat! Would be good to hear what kind of numbers people think are okay for healthy fats.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You can add some protein powder to your morning shake.

Snack on a protein bar (I like Quest or Pure Protein)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Try combining beans and rice... I have a couple of recipes for easy bean soups (lentil, black bean) that I like to combine with a bit of brown rice. Very filling and satisfying.
  • Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, none of the veggie/vegan protein on your list there is very high in fat. I eat all of those and I often have to add fat intentionally to my diet to get my fat %.
  • ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    As long as it's a good quality fat or oil, eat it. And eat a good deal of it. 60g seems on the lower end. Your brain needs fat and since you're already vegetarian, you need the extra nutrients. There is a wealth of info debunking the low fat and cholesterol myths. If you want to protect your heart, I'd say closely monitoring sugar is your best bet.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Do you eat fish at all? My wife gets a good bit of protein from tilapia, salmon, and shrimp.

I also recommend eating eggs. Whole ones, not just whites. We keep a lot around, hard-boil a bunch of them and have the rest for omelets or scrambles or whatever.

Chobani nonfat plain yogurt is ridiculously high in protein. I also eat a lot of 2% cottage cheese, a great source of lean protein.

Lots of beans and rice, lentils, chickpeas, legume-y stuff like that. I would seriously get in the habit of cooking a large batch of rice, lentils and beans on Monday evening so you can bring it with you to work for the week.

Whey protein powder to supplement, but I personally don't like going overboard with protein powders or your meat substitutes. I don't know why, but I don't trust that stuff (all of the time).
  • dressagediva51
    dressagediva51 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys, some really helpful advice here! Unfortunately I don't eat fish, but I do love eggs! I just thought that I shouldnt be eating them due to cholesterol levels etc. I have never really understood the good fat/bad fat thing, though looking back on it I guess that the fats I do eat wouldn't necessarily be categorised as unhealthy (apart from the few squares of chocolate in the evening!!).
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but that said, I go over in my fat intake almost every day. It's all healthy fats so I don't worry too much about it. And it keeps me from feeling hungry all the time while staying in my calorie limit. And I'm losing, so don't worry too much about it.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Do you like MorningStar Farms or GardenBurger or similar products?

I eat meat- but still use their products as they're super delicious. Most are really good on fats (i.e. lower fat than the meat counterparts).

Vegetarian chili with beans and quinoa and corn.
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars... cannot stress them enough. It is like dessert that is good for you. They have soooo many flavors, my favorite being the chocolate brownie. The bars range from about 18 to 20 grams of protein per bar. My chocolate brownie Quest Bar has 170 calories, 6g of fat, 310mg sodium, 24g carbs... BUT there is 19g of dietary fiber which brings the carbs down to 5g, there is only 1g of sugar and the protein is a whopping 20 grams....
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Don't demonise fats, low carbers do very well on very low carb and high fat diets, not that that suits every one, I would find it to hard to stick to. But you must eat good fats, just google good fats v bad fats, so many articles lay it all out for you. Apparently crisps pastries and biscuits are very bad, avocado nuts and olive oil are very good. It is sugar you need to look out for, it hides in so many products even savoury ones, and especially low fat ones. I used to crave chocolate. I weaned myself onto dark stuff, just a couple of squares a night, a year on and I eat much more healthy food, much less sugar, and I hardly touch chocolate. I finally pulled out that sweet tooth :-)
    I like Chobani yogurt, really high protein compared to other Greek yogurt, 10g per 100g 75 calories, cottage cheese but watch the sodium, eggs are fine, they are back on the ok list for now according to the internet lol. Protein bars and powders as a last resort. I have to admit I started eating chicken as I eat quite a lot of protein, and I was eating too much tuna and salmon. Believe it or not some bread are quite high in protein too. This week I am using light rye, 185 calories for 2 slices and 7g protein, 1.2g fat.
  • Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys, some really helpful advice here! Unfortunately I don't eat fish, but I do love eggs! I just thought that I shouldnt be eating them due to cholesterol levels etc. I have never really understood the good fat/bad fat thing, though looking back on it I guess that the fats I do eat wouldn't necessarily be categorised as unhealthy (apart from the few squares of chocolate in the evening!!).

My go to eggs dish (and it fits nicely with my macros) - 2 whole eggs (I use large ones) and ~200g or so of liquid egg whites, add red pepper flakes before pouring into pan, top with franks buffalo sauce..mmmmm

249 Cals
    10g Fat
    0 Carb
    34g Protein

You could always cut out 1 whole egg and it would be about 5g of fat and 28g protein

Also, +1 to Quest bars, god those are addicting.
    And I like to mix in some Whey protein (MYprotein makes the best flavors! and it's reasonably priced per 2.2lb bags - Use Matty Fusaro's (From youtube) discount code of MATTY15 and save 15%) <--barely any fat/carb with about 20g protein per scoop.

Good luck, let me know if you try my egg recipe! But I love spicy foods and I literally do "Put that *kitten* on everything!"
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options

Dietary cholesterol doesn't raise your body's cholesterol. Bad fat = transfats (anything that contains hydrogenated oils). Saturated fat (naturally solid at room temp) used to be demonized but that's been debunked. Some still recommend limiting this but it's a personal choice. Most saturated comes from meat anyway so you shouldn't be oncerned with eating too much. Unsaturated fats are considered healthy. A few squares of chocolate at night is not unhealthy. Quite the opposite actually.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Dietary cholesterol doesn't raise your body's cholesterol. Bad fat = transfats (anything that contains hydrogenated oils). Saturated fat (naturally solid at room temp) used to be demonized but that's been debunked. Some still recommend limiting this but it's a personal choice. Most saturated comes from meat anyway so you shouldn't be oncerned with eating too much. Unsaturated fats are considered healthy. A few squares of chocolate at night is not unhealthy. Quite the opposite actually.

I was hoping someone would point this out. Thank You!
  • rgonyer
    Options

My go to eggs dish (and it fits nicely with my macros) - 2 whole eggs (I use large ones) and ~200g or so of liquid egg whites, add red pepper flakes before pouring into pan, top with franks buffalo sauce..mmmmm

249 Cals
    10g Fat
    0 Carb
    34g Protein

You could always cut out 1 whole egg and it would be about 5g of fat and 28g protein

And I like to mix in some Whey protein (MYprotein makes the best flavors! and it's reasonably priced per 2.2lb bags - Use Matty Fusaro's (From youtube) discount code of MATTY15 and save 15%) <--barely any fat/carb with about 20g protein per scoop.

Good luck, let me know if you try my egg recipe! But I love spicy foods and I literally do "Put that *kitten* on everything!"

I *love* franks and I *love* eggs... I'm going to try this, maybe even tomorrow morning before my workout. Do you scramble them or how do you cook them?
  • Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just scamble them up. Pour em into an already heated skillet and the trick i've discovered from countless egg cooking, don't touch em! Just let em cook (almost like an omelet, fold eggs into middle and tilt pan to get the runny yolks into the hot spots, when ready, flip once, pepper that side and done in like 5 mins (i like my eggs a little "creamy" i guess you could say!)
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options

249 Cals
    10g Fat
    0 Carb
    34g Protein

I *love* franks and I *love* eggs... I'm going to try this, maybe even tomorrow morning before my workout. Do you scramble them or how do you cook them?

I'm definitely making this! And Matty Fusaro ROCKS!!! He's been an inspiration to me and I'm pushing to reach my goals as a personal trainer all thanks to him! :D