T25, shakeology and the gym?

Options
So yesterday I finally got around to starting T25 and so far I love it except for one thing, whats with all the adverts for shakeology. It makes me feel like unless I drink this stuff its not going to work, but as long as I'm eating a healthy diet the fact that I'm not spending all my money on shakes should not make a difference to my results right?? I'm working my *kitten* off and as of yet not modifying the moves so its going to be fine?
I guess I'm just looking for re-assurance I don't want to get to the end of the five weeks and be disappointed.

Also I want to keep going to the gym whilst i do this it took me ages to get into the habit and I know if I don't go for 5 weeks its going to be hard to get the motivation to go again. Would i be over doing it I'm only planning on going 2/3 times a week?

Replies

• MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've done T25 twice and lost 20 lbs no shakeology!
    I count my calories and follow the 80/20 rule, meaning I eat healthy a good portion of the time.

I would suggest that since until you get to beta phase there's no weights so maybe do a cardio and weight session 2-3 times a week at the gym, or even take a laptop to the gym and do your dvds there :)
    That's what I actually ended up doing, taking my T25 to the gym for more space, and to get an additional weight/cardio session in. T25 burns a lot of calories for a 25 minute exercise, but that is all it is, I would suggest doing something else to increase your calorie burns such as the gym :)
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I've done T25 twice and lost 20 lbs no shakeology!
    I count my calories and follow the 80/20 rule, meaning I eat healthy a good portion of the time.

I would suggest that since until you get to beta phase there's no weights so maybe do a cardio and weight session 2-3 times a week at the gym, or even take a laptop to the gym and do your dvds there :)
    That's what I actually ended up doing, taking my T25 to the gym for more space, and to get an additional weight/cardio session in. T25 burns a lot of calories for a 25 minute exercise, but that is all it is, I would suggest doing something else to increase your calorie burns such as the gym :)

I agree with all of this
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    The sports supplement business is a multi-billion dollar industry, and from what I've heard, Beachbody make good margins on shakeology....simple as that. You could use any number of protein powders as meal replacement shakes.

But it isn't needed, and you can get by on a good diet, though I would suggest at least a multivitamin and fish oil.
  • MeganDominique
    Options
    I should of added I do use a protein shake- vega sports performance.

but there is no way I can afford shako on a uni student budget!!! I already get all the points I can at shoppers to get my vega free haha. Its just an overpriced beachbody product, some people love/hate it.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Hit the next button on the Shako commercial. I always do. I did T25, Insanity, and I'm doing P90X3, and I've never tasted Shako before, and I've been very successful without it. I have some samples that were sent to me from an coach that runs an FB group I'm a part of. I was thinking of using them to make protein pancakes, but then I found Kodiak Power Cakes, so I have no need for it.

It's either going to sit on my shelf collecting dust or get thrown in the trash. Either way, I'm not fussed about it.

I do use a protein powder b/c without it I would never get close to hitting my protein macro.
  • vixx1405
    vixx1405 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Glad to see people have had success without using the beachbody shakes. After work tomorrow Ill do my 25 minutes then get my *kitten* down the gym an do some weights!!
  • mizztanjo
    mizztanjo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to add my two cents, not looking to create any heat here. But Shakeology is more than a meal replacement/protein shake. If you look up the ingredients you will see it's a superfood shake, packed with 90 different ingredients. It's also your daily vitamins/minerals, as well as probiotics, omega's, cancer fighting/disease preventing ingredients.

If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. But it's $4 a day, less than the average cost one spends eating out everyday or buying a fancy latte.

With that said, if you prefer not to take it, and just do the programs, you will be fine. You may not lose the most weight possible in the shortest amount of time, but you'll still get in shape quickly and as long as you're eating a healthy diet you will see results :)
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to add my two cents, not looking to create any heat here. But Shakeology is more than a meal replacement/protein shake. If you look up the ingredients you will see it's a superfood shake, packed with 90 different ingredients. It's also your daily vitamins/minerals, as well as probiotics, omega's, cancer fighting/disease preventing ingredients.

Cancer fighting? Really? Please provide ANY scientific source that says shakeology cures cancer. You are doing more harm than good saying stuff like that.
  • calamarione
    calamarione Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Cancer fighting? Really? Please provide ANY scientific source that says shakeology cures cancer. You are doing more harm than good saying stuff like that.

She said that the ingredients were known cancer inhibitors. Inhibitors don't fight cancer, they reduce the likelihood. Getting those ingredients on a regular basis reduces the risk, but does not eliminate it. Also, many of those ingredients are natural vitamins, which are required by the body to help the immune system function. A lack of those vitamins results in disease. Therefore, consuming materials that have those vitamins is disease prevention. One could get the same vitamins from another food source and they would also be engaging in disease prevention.

yay... arguing semantics is fun.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. But it's $4 a day, less than the average cost one spends eating out everyday or buying a fancy latte.

With that said, if you prefer not to take it, and just do the programs, you will be fine. You may not lose the most weight possible in the shortest amount of time, but you'll still get in shape quickly and as long as you're eating a healthy diet you will see results :)

And what would be the necessary minimum daily intake of each of these 90 different ingredients to get these superfood benefits?
  • mizztanjo
    mizztanjo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up Calamarione! I did in fact mean Cancer Preventing. I in no way meant that if you have Cancer Shakeology will fight it off.

Again, I did not post any of this to start an argument. Everyone is free to do as they choose. I personally take Shakeology, that's my choice, and I feel a lot healthier and more energetic. But to each his own.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up Calamarione! I did in fact mean Cancer Preventing. I in no way meant that if you have Cancer Shakeology will fight it off.

Again, I did not post any of this to start an argument. Everyone is free to do as they choose. I personally take Shakeology, that's my choice, and I feel a lot healthier and more energetic. But to each his own.

Hey you must be a BB Coach!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

She said that the ingredients were known cancer inhibitors. Inhibitors don't fight cancer, they reduce the likelihood. Getting those ingredients on a regular basis reduces the risk, but does not eliminate it. Also, many of those ingredients are natural vitamins, which are required by the body to help the immune system function. A lack of those vitamins results in disease. Therefore, consuming materials that have those vitamins is disease prevention. One could get the same vitamins from another food source and they would also be engaging in disease prevention.

Actually she did say "Cancer Fighting"
  • Yourkindagirl
    Yourkindagirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My three cents....I did Insanity and did not lose but 4 pounds in one month; however, I toned up tremendously and looked great in my clothes. I never could figure out whether I was eating enough calories. As soon as I started back jogging, I lost pounds but was not as toned.

That being said, I tried Shakeology. I guess the commercials got me. I actually like them. They are very expensive though, and I don't think they are necessary for your program.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    "Proprietary blends" give NO DOSAGE amounts of any of the ingredients, so those so called "90 ingredients" may be less than optimal dosage for any effect on health. But people get sold on it just being there.

Don't buy into the hype. One can do just fine with food and drinking water, milk, etc.

I personally think the Beach Body workout programs are fine though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Yeah it's semantics, but she did say cancer fighting. The problem I have is that the misinformation that is used in statements like these is what lures people into pyramid schemes. I don't have any problem with people who spend way too much money on an overpriced protein shake with some kale in it, but I do have a problem with people saying misleading and potentially dangerous things to others.
  • MeganDominique
    Options
    Thanks guys. Glad to see people have had success without using the beachbody shakes. After work tomorrow Ill do my 25 minutes then get my *kitten* down the gym an do some weights!!

You go girl !!!:wink:
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    If not doing the shakes are you following the 1200 or 1600 calorie suggestion or are you doing MFP suggested calorie intake??
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Bump

Hoping someone know this:
    If not doing the shakes are you following the 1200 or 1600 calorie suggestion or are you doing MFP suggested calorie intake??