Anyone Know Of Work At Home jobs Hiring?

Options
ChristinaR419
ChristinaR419 Posts: 22 Member
I'm a 37 yr old SAHM, and would like to continue to be. But I need to bring in extra money. Would like to find something that is flexible and I can work around my child and my workouts. I can do pretty much just about anything on a computer, and am a fast learner. Not sure if I get notifications for forums, so if you have a lead please message me. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    90% of the places that claim to offer stay at home jobs are scams. The other 10% are real jobs that just allow a telecommuting option.

If you really can do anything on a computer, you could try website building and maintenance services for small businesses. You have to be good at it though - being able to type isn't enough. You have to be able to code, create logos, manipulate photos, etc.

You could also use the time and go back to school to get marketable skills.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Education level and skills? Prior work experience?
  • fullerrunning
    Options
    Most reputable companies would not be ok with you watching a 3 yr old at the same time you are supposed to be working.

How about just getting a part-time job 2-3 nights per week?
  • ChristinaR419
    Options
    Thank you!
  • ChristinaR419
    Options
    IF it was a full time job with set hours, I have a babysitter. If it's flexible and I can work evenings, then a babysitter wouldn't be needed
  • ChristinaR419
    Options
    Some college. Will be returning next semester to get my BA in Medical Administrative Assistant. I have done data entry, ran all aspects of an office .. .multi-line phones, billing, scheduling, customer service via online chat & e-mail. Telephone sales (reservations). 20 + years of customer service experience. I have been a manager, assistant manager, Certified nursing assistant. I am a FAST learner with a good work ethic.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'm a 37 yr old SAHM, and would like to continue to be. But I need to bring in extra money. Would like to find something that is flexible and I can work around my child and my workouts. I can do pretty much just about anything on a computer, and am a fast learner. Not sure if I get notifications for forums, so if you have a lead please message me. Thank you in advance!

When you say you can do just about anything on a computer, what do you mean? Software developers and programmers often work at home. If you don't need insurance then you could be a contract developer, but many companies hire FT or PT at home programmers. It saves them a lot of money on office space.

Telecommuting is also popular with the federal government for all types of positions, though those often require that you be available during normal working hours..
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Here's a web site with links to what it deems legitimate at-home data entry jobs: http://workathomemoms.about.com/od/dataentrytranscription/tp/dataentryjobs.htm

Be very careful of scams in your hunt. If any such job asks you to commit any money to do it, run in the other direction.

Hunting for this kind of job is like hunting for any other. Work on your resume and apply to places with your skill set well described for them.

Many of these jobs are "piecework" -- you are paid by the item, word, entry, etc. rather than by the hour. Do remember to check on tax implications. For some of these jobs, you are considered a self-employed contractor and need to pay income taxes AND self-employment tax.

I do this sort of work to bring in a little extra money in retirement. Mine is based on my former training and expertise. I assign subject terms for scholarly journal articles in a searchable database. I'm on contract with a firm in Canada that pays me per article. I must declare and pay taxes on the income on my own. No W-2, etc.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you'll need a webcam.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

And possibly a plastic tarp, but that can be covered in the interview.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If you want to make a little extra money, sign up for Amazon Mechanical Turk. If you dedicate a couple of hours a night/day, you can make some extra cash doing little tasks. I make a little extra doing that. Not much mind you, because I don't do it for too long, but if I did, I would probably make a lot. You should check it out.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options

Read my mind ha ha
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    If you want to make a little extra money, sign up for Amazon Mechanical Turk. If you dedicate a couple of hours a night/day, you can make some extra cash doing little tasks. I make a little extra doing that. Not much mind you, because I don't do it for too long, but if I did, I would probably make a lot. You should check it out.

I have a love-hate relationship with MTurk. Some days I can easily do real well in just 2 hours. Other days? Ugh. Receipt/penny hell.

Good to know I'm not the only one out there scraping pennies (sometimes quarters) doing this :smile:
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are located, but my mom was the AVON lady when i was a kid....35 years ago
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
  • meaganlael
    Options
    If you can type well, you could look into working for an online based transcription company, but of course you have to be aware of scams. One company I found that was not at least an immediate scam to work for was Transcribe Team. You listen to audio files, transcribe team, then get paid based on the length and quality of the sound file. The only catch is that after I worked for them for six months, all of a sudden I was unable to log in to do my work due to so-called "accuracy errors" that they never informed me about and could not show me evidence of when I asked. So while I did make really good money for a few months working from home (alongside my day job), it would have been terrible if I would have quit my day job to work solely from home just to get randomly dismissed one day. Just something to be aware of if you want to pursue transcription!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    One reputable home position is Medical Transcription. You would probably need more training, but worth looking into. Decen t extra $$$