first time I ever stuck with a New Years resolution

Options
I decided in December last year that I had really had enough of my out of control weight gain. I had gained over 30 pounds in about 3 years.
So I set a goal for 52 pounds in 52 weeks.
Early on I was losing more than 1 pound some weeks, none others.
I have done really well I think. I am hovering at right around 35 lost with 14 more weeks in the year remaining.

So, those of you that have lost or are working on you last 15 or so...can I do it?
Can I safely lose the last 15 pounds in 14 weeks?

Replies

• mandybear014
    mandybear014 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Of course you can!
    You have done so good with your weight loss journey, I think you can hit your goal weight before the end of the year.
    I have been going at my weight loss since January of this year and I told myself to do it safely (and sanely) as possible.

Congratulations to you and much continued success on your last few pounds.:wink:
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Wanting to achieve my current goal by NYE. My original goal was to lose 80 lbs in one calendar year. It will be 2 years come NYE, and I'm still plugging away at it. So, I'm going to do my best to get to goal weight, and I also know that the world won't end if I don't make it by Dec 31st. Worst case is I'll be closer to my goal than I am now. So what if it takes me a couple extra weeks or months? I'm not going to stop working towards it because I "failed" to make an arbitrary, neat, deadline.

The last 10 pounds are hard. The last 5 pounds are even harder. Having gotten to within the last 5-7 lbs before, I know all too well that you can do everything "perfectly" and still have your body refuse to cooperate and plateau. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones, and this setback won't happen to you. A more realistic timeframe for the last 5-10 pounds is a loss of 1/2 pound a week.

You know yourself best for what motivates you - just don't set goals which if you miss them, make you feel like you've "failed". Look instead at what you have achieved so far!
  • __hannah_
    __hannah_ Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Great job so far! You can make it!

I'm in a similar boat. I want to reach healthy BMI range which means I still have 16 lbs to go by NYE. I've been slacking the last two months but I'm sure if I try harder I can make it and you can too. Good luck!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss from another 2014 New Years Resolution Gal!

You can do it, but you know that now that you are so close, it is so much harder. You want to be healthy for the holidays so do your best, but be careful.

So what will your 2015 Resoution be?
  • salgal33
    salgal33 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. Although this is something I really want to accomplish I will not be crushed or feel a failure if I fall short. I know I have worked hard and my successes and slips are mine to own. But even if I don't lose another pound, I am happy that I did it slowly and without any pills or programs.

What will my 2015 resolution be? I have been thinking about that and alongside maintaining my weight...I want to go on a debt-diet.
    I want to be debt free (exception mortgage)
    It is do-able....I just need to buckle down and quit buying shoes and workout gear :smile: ( I AM going to need new clothes, however!)
    I have no credit card debt, just a camper loan and a home equity. It would feel great to be rid of both. Now I need to figure out what it will take every month to get it done...
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I just read a blog about a clothes diet, that sounds similar to what you are talking about. This woman decided not to buy new clothes for six months. She said it was super hard and one of the weirdest things was that because she couldn't buy new pants she didn't try as hard at weight loss/maintenance. As soon as the six months were up and she started buying new clothes she lost 5 pounds. LOL.

Something she did earlier that she wrote about really intrigued me: she decided that however many hangars she owned would be it and she would only buy as many clothes as she had hangars to accommodate. So, if she buys something new, she tosses something old in order to hang it. Of course she could cheat and fold it on a shelf but this is a discipline thing. She may sell what she gets rid of or give it away, but it leaves the house and is placed in her car immediately when she buys something new.

I was successful with starting in January too, although I had been "watching what I eat" in an effort to lose weight for a few months before I joined MFP and started counting calories. My accurate weighing and logging foods began a few weeks into February. Love this website. I tell everyone that it has changed my life.
  • salgal33
    salgal33 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    sodakat, I agree about MFP. When I don't log is when I overeat....Usually not a day or two... it's a week or two. THEN I notice on the scales and my clothes.
    I need MFP to keep me accountable. I don't rely on other people, just me and my diary.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it. Also, I just have to say, what an inspiration. I so often find myself thinking, if I hadn't stopped I could be so and so pounds lighter by now. I'm glad you were able to be consistent and are now just in the home stretch.

If for some reason you don't lose the 15 in 14 weeks, please don't be discouraged. You've accomplished so much and will most likely just be a couple pounds shy. Doing it in 55 weeks instead of 52 doesn't make it any less of an accomplishment, but I do think it's totally doable.
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    That's been my NY resolution (to finally lose weight and get thin) for about 3 years running now, and this year I've finally managed to do it!

Congrats :)
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    About the new clothes thing. Every pay cheque, I put $40 cash into a jar. That is for my new wardrobe when I achieve goal weight. I'm up to over $1500 by now (haven't counted it recently). Great motivation to keep working towards goal, and there will be no financial impact on my monthly budget when I do start shopping.
  • youcandothistoo
    Options
    Hey, Why don't you join The 30 Days 30 Minutes To Success Global Challenge for 2015. It's sure to get you started the best possible way. Join 100's from around the world and let's make 2015 the best year yet. Nothing beats accountability, encouragement and support. Find out more here Secrets of Highly Successful People | Sharing Secrets That Lead To Greater Success
    Nothing to buy. Just paying it forward...here is why and how I described it on Fb and LinkedIn. Hope it adds value to you all and keep you excited about embracing 2015.
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/perso...?trk=prof-post
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of putting money in a jar to collect for the final wardrobe. :) What a great motivator to know that you can have a shopping splurge of a full wardrobe... instead of going a few outfits at a time as we lose...
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Yes, but don't be discouraged if you fall short. That's an amazing accomplishment.
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    Can we get an update? Congrats on what you've accomplished so far! That's great to stick with a new year's resolution!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!