Stress related eating

Options
Hi there :)

I am really struggling with weight loss and motivation. I am generally stressed out at the moment - trying to juggle work, studying for a degree and life in general lol, but I find that when I am stressed, I eat lots of junk food :(

Any suggestions with what I can do/eat instead? Cheers.

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Empty the junk food out of the house is the easiest way to do it, and i totally understand the stress I am a full time student as well and work 2 jobs so I know it can be easy to get overwhelmed. I dont know about you but when I stress eat I usually dont even pay attention to the flavour of the food, so why not try eating some baby carrots to get the same crunch feeling.
  • hooctalec
    Options
    Stress eating has been a problem with me time and time again. Best thing that worked for me was to avoid having any junk food in the house full stop. If I was craving it I would walk back and forward to kitchen cupboards expecting to find something to suppress the stress/need for junk food. In the end I would pick up whatever is the next best thing. (For me that's fruit ~ dried can be sweeter and rice cakes for crunching down on.) Also, try yoga!
  • Linsey1973
    Linsey1973 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you - great ideas :)
  • SwellyStyles
    Options
    Try making a behavioral change. So every time you feel stressed, get up and go outside and walk a block and back, get up and have a glass of water, go pet your animal, don't go for the junk food. Eventually your mind will become adjusted to this new behavior and you will do it without even thinking about it.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Easy. When you want to eat junk at random times, don't eat it.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Empty the junk food out of the house is the easiest way to do it, and i totally understand the stress I am a full time student as well and work 2 jobs so I know it can be easy to get overwhelmed. I dont know about you but when I stress eat I usually dont even pay attention to the flavour of the food, so why not try eating some baby carrots to get the same crunch feeling.

This ^^ and avoiding eating out as much have been the only methods that work for me. If its not in the house I can't eat it. And if I don't go to a fast food place I cant eat that either. At one point I started leaving my credit card locked in my car so I couldn't buy junk food from the cafeteria at my work and had to eat the healthy foods I packed for myself.