Walk Of Shame

Options
13»

Replies

• chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    see heres the thing. the minute i start thinking of the gym as something i have to feel shame for not going to, and something i have to do not matter if i want to or not, i will just cancel my membership.

i like the gym, i enjoy going there. some days i want to, some days i dont. there are many ways to get exersize in without forcing onesself to do it at the gym.

i want to continue liking it so i dont treat it like a chore or source of shame.

i go or i dont. if i dont, i run all my errands on foot that day, or go for a bike ride, or lift my barbell at home instead, or play tennis against a wall somewhere, or swim in the pool, or run outdoors... or whatever i want.

i am not saying that making excuses for not exersizing is a good idea, just that there are many ways to get it done, that it should be something you like, that it shouldnt be shameful.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Thought this was an entirely different topic.
  • alienbabyjen
    alienbabyjen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I play mind games with myself. I tell myself that I must walk through the door and do something for ten minutes and then can leave. But 99 times out of 100, once I get started, I continue going with whatever the original plan was. And then as I'm leaving, I feel smug that I've managed to outsmart myself again.

^^ totally this
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I make myself go.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Oh me too...the title was soooo misleading huh
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    go anyway

29509743.png
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    As my Mother used to say 'You don't have to like it, you just have to do it'

^^^Like this one, Mothers do know best!!
  • manderthegreat
    manderthegreat Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Ha. me too!! I was thinking of all those walk of shames I did in college...
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Depends - do you have days during the week scheduled where you don't go? Can you switch the day around so you can take this one off? Sometimes our body does need a break and packed up or not - you should listen to what your body tells you. But if it's just laziness, then don't let it be an excuse.

Also, if you did skip - could you work in other exercises (non-gym) throughout the day to make up a different type of challenge for yourself?

I don't think you should get bent out of shape for one day, but don't let it go for 2 days in a row without having a valid reason.

Good luck. :)
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options

Oh me too...the title was soooo misleading huh

Me three.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I make a bargain with my lazy self: Just go to the gym and warm up. You can leave if you're really not feeling it once you're there.

I've only left twice in 4 years, and both times were because the headache I had when I left the house turned in to a migraine.

I have half-assed a few workouts, though. Sometimes I'm just not at my best and I can accept that.

Once in a while, if I have been working out consistently, I'll let myself skip one. But I do find that if I skip one workout, it makes it easier to skip the next, and the next and the next....

Sometimes, if I'm not feeling a particular workout, I'll do an alternate... if I don't feel like packing my gym stuff and driving to the gym, I'll run with the dog, or do a circuit training video, or go to a yoga class. I like having options -- they really help with burnout.

My schedule is really packed right now with FT work, FT grad school and FT mom-ing so I try to plan a workout wherever I can fit it in. I am not rigid about what it will be, just that I need to do it. This morning I ran HIIT and then lifted at home with my adjustable dumbbells. Friday I may try a hot yoga class, or I may do a steady run and weights. Saturday will be a family yoga class. I used to lift heavy and regularly, but it's not working for me now. If you're feeling mentally burned out, you may want to add variety or try something new.
  • redfawn7
    Options
    That is funny. I need to try that.
    :happy:
    71932915.png
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Go anyways.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Depending on weather, I'll opt to walk it home from work [50 minutes] like I did yesterday since I didn't go to the gym in the morning. This morning I debated about going to the gym or not, decided to go, ended up missing the early bus but I still managed to squeeze in a 25 minute workout before work once I got there.
  • midvalesfinest
    Options
    i just had one of those days...er months...this month. for me i have to shift my workouts to a time of day where i don't have other distractions. so thats late at night mostly.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I go anyway, but it's not easy. I try to come up with a non-exercise related excuse to go like there's less traffic on the highway after I get out. For some reason, this seems to work. I also tell myself that I have to at least drive to the gym's parking lot. Chances are, once I get in the parking lot and see other people going in or see them inside through the window, I'll get a little more pumped to go. Also, by the time I get there my only option from the gym is to take the highway home which is bumper to bumper, so I just decide to go in and wait out the traffic.

I also have a rule that I don't take more than one day off in a row, so I know that I either have to go today or tomorrow. I never know what tomorrow will bring, so I bargain with myself that if I go today, then I can maybe take tomorrow off, when I might actually need to take the day off for homework or because I'm sick, who knows.

Pre-logging exercise in the morning helps. I feel too guilty removing the exercise to not do what I committed to. I don't eat back my exercise calories, but I like knowing the buffer is there if I need it.

It took a while to get these practices in place, but now that they are, they hold up at least 80-90% of the time, which is a drastic improvement from before.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I do it anyway.

Two years ago, I would have done the same thing you did and not give it a second thought. Now, I'm at the point where missing a workout pisses me off.

I find that even when i am not in the mood ( very rare) i go anyway because once i put the headphones in i end up feeling like its game on. Getting there is half the battle. I just tell myself i will do a little something and sometimes it turns out the be one of the best workouts i have that week.