What should I eat

Options
2»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Effect of meal frequency on glucose and insulin excursions over the course of a day
    http://www.e-spenjournal.org/article/S1751-4991(10)00054-5/abstract

"Conclusions
    In non-obese individuals, glucose levels remained elevated throughout the day with frequent CHO meals compared to 3CHO meals, without any differences in the insulin levels. Increasing the protein content of frequent meals attenuated both the glucose and insulin response. These findings of elevated glucose levels throughout the day warrant further research, particularly in overweight and obese individuals with and without type 2 diabetes."

LMAO! Do you even know or read what you are posting? Do you know what this study is based on? Any idea what CHO is compared to 3CHO?

the study was done on frequent CHO meals (6 meals) vs 3CHO meals
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    Effect of meal frequency on glucose and insulin excursions over the course of a day

"Conclusions
    In non-obese individuals, glucose levels remained elevated throughout the day with frequent CHO meals compared to 3CHO meals, without any differences in the insulin levels. Increasing the protein content of frequent meals attenuated both the glucose and insulin response. These findings of elevated glucose levels throughout the day warrant further research, particularly in overweight and obese individuals with and without type 2 diabetes."

LMAO! Do you even know or read what you are posting? Do you know what this study is based on? Any idea what CHO is compared to 3CHO?

No... lol Biochemistry my dear. CHO = Carbohydrate! Sigh.

This is why this will be my last post. You don't know what you are talking about.
  • Acg67
    Options

"Conclusions

This is why this will be my last post. You don't know what you are talking about.

you're right i had no idea CHO stood for carbohydrate and all the other posts i used CHO in i had no idea what it was i exactly was saying. i misunderstood your question
  • jensway
    Options
    Thank you for the great ideas and recipes.......much appriciated :)
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    you're right i had no idea CHO stood for carbohydrate and all the other posts i used CHO in i had no idea what it was i exactly was saying. i misunderstood your question

No worries. We have all misunderstood and have been mistaken. It's all good. :smile:
  • RichGebs
    Options

"Conclusions
    In non-obese individuals, glucose levels remained elevated throughout the day with frequent CHO meals compared to 3CHO meals, without any differences in the insulin levels. Increasing the protein content of frequent meals attenuated both the glucose and insulin response. These findings of elevated glucose levels throughout the day warrant further research, particularly in overweight and obese individuals with and without type 2 diabetes.

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

I completely disagree! The choices we make in weight loss are HUGE! You can eat 5 meals that are nutrient dense for the same amount of calories as 1-2 calorie dense meals!!!

What is better for weight loss, assuming both meal plans consist of the same total caloric intake.
    Plan 1 = 5 meals that consist mainly of carbs and a bit of protein and fat
    Plan 2 = 2 meals that consist mainly of protein and a bit of fat and carbs?
  • cherryObebe
    Options

What is better for weight loss, assuming both meal plans consist of the same total caloric intake.

Personally, I wouldn't choose either of the two.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

What is wrong with either one?
  • Acg67
    Options

carbs are evil and you'll slow down your metabolism with only 2 meals a day ;P
  • cherryObebe
    Options

In the meal plan that consists mostly of carbohydrates with a little bit of fat and protein but many meals a day, the body is going to obtain protein from places in the body like muscle. Depending upon the types of carbohydrates, the blood glucose levels could also be kept at a very high level overworking the pancreas to produce insulin and eventually resulting in diabetes.

In the meal plan that consists mainly of protein, the body is going to be lacking carbohydrates for energy. Also, having long lulls between supplementing the body with food will spike the blood glucose when it does get food.

I feel like I am being graded! lol I am still a student. I hope I passed, even with my simple answers.

Edit - Oh, and the body needs carbohydrates AND protein to burn fat.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

In the meal plan that consists mostly of carbohydrates with a little bit of fat and protein but many meals a day, the body is going to obtain protein from places in the body like muscle. Depending upon the types of carbohydrates, the blood glucose levels could also be kept at a very high level overworking the pancreas to produce insulin and eventually resulting in diabetes.

In the meal plan that consists mainly of protein, the body is going to be lacking carbohydrates for energy. Also, having long lulls between supplementing the body with food will spike the blood glucose when it does get food.

I feel like I am being graded! lol I am still a student. I hope I passed, even with my simple answers.

I like having conversations with people who study the human body and nutrition. I like hearing other people's takes on things.
    Plan 1 is what I've seen lots of people advocate here in MFP, eat often, lots of veges, grains and fruit, don't eat too much protein, no more than 15-25% and a bit of fat.

Plan 2 is what I usually follow, roughly 40-50% protein, 25-30% fat and 25-30% carbs and people think I'm crazy. I can lose weight, maintain my muscle mass and have plenty of energy for my workouts. The body can convert protein into glucose via the liver correct?
  • Acg67
    Options
    "Edit - Oh, and the body needs carbohydrates AND protein to burn fat."

so how do ketogenic diets work and PSMFs?
  • cherryObebe
    Options

I like having conversations with people who study the human body and nutrition. I like hearing other people's takes on things.
    Plan 1 is what I've seen lots of people advocate here in MFP, eat often, lots of veges, grains and fruit, don't eat too much protein, no more than 15-25% and a bit of fat.

Plan 2 is what I usually follow, roughly 40-50% protein, 25-30% fat and 25-30% carbs and people think I'm crazy. I can lose weight, maintain my muscle mass and have plenty of energy for my workouts. The body can convert protein into glucose via the liver correct?

Yes, it can via gluconeogenesis. Since we are able to do this, why is it that we (clinical nutrition students) are not taught to use percentages like the ones you use?

PS - So, does this mean I didn't fail? :happy:
  • S_Murphree
    Options
    I inboxed you jensway. Just some ideas. Good luck!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Eat foods you enjoy. Balance your diet out nutritionally. The internet has thousands of healthy lower calorie recipes. Do some searching, find some you like. Tweak them to suit your taste and needs.