L-Citrulline/ Citrulline Malate on Low Carb?

Options
2»

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    This is a bit off topic, but I'm very curious about this butter in your coffee thing. I've been seeing a lot of people doing that as of late and I don't get it. What is the purpose? Not trying to be argumentative, am genuinely curious.

Hey :)

No worries, I think a lot of people are using it, along with Medium Chain Triglycerides ( MCT oil) to help raise their metabolism ( debated), to help them feel full in the morning, and because it tastes good. I add organic coconut oil to mine as well.

The taste isn't as bad as it sounds, and it seems to be the first thing that has shifted some very stubborn fat off me.
    Yeah, the bullet proof coffee thing has been thoroughly debunked by actual science. It does not fuel your metabolism nearly to the rate at which it costs. IE any added calories burned from drinking it are far less then the drink itself contains...

Can you post some links please? I'd be interested?

If you're on keto you'll get a benefit from it. What we currently understand about Medium Chain Triglycerides is that they skip the primary fat metabolism pathways and are shunted straight into the liver to create ketones. This in the short term boosts energy levels but the increased ketone production is only temporary. MCTs are referred to as exogenous ketones. These specific ketones are healthy for the body and very good for the brain.

Coffee with butter and MCT oil is a very decent breakfast. You get your fat macros from the butter mainly as the oil is treated differently by the body. Tastes great and is a great way to start the day with the much needed energy boost from the MCT's.

As for the Calorie stuff, I'm in the same boat. I eat around or above my maintenance amount and I've been losing weight at around 4lbs a week. A calorie isn't just a calorie which is become more and more apparent with the Energy Balance Consortium research that is currently going on. There is a reason why ketogenic diets are more successful in the long run than calorie restriction. If you can stick to it, you will lose weight quicker due to what you are eating, not how much you are eating.

Think about what you are saying. By definition alone, maintenance calories are the level of intake it takes to maintain. So if you are losing weight, you are NOT eating above that level. What it means, your maintenance are higher than you think. It is possible that your calculations are purely wrong of what you think your maintenance calories are. But it's utter nonsense to think you can eat above your maintenance and think you can lose.

The second highlighted is not true and Keto does not provide quicker fat loss than other diets. It might provide quicker weight loss the few weeks but that is because you deplete glycogen/water weight. But in the end, you still have to eat 3500 calories less than you burn to lose a lb of fat. But if if you can provide a study I would lose to see how keto is the best. In fact, I would challenge you with stating the best diet is the one you can adhere to.

Short - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16685046

Long - http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/5/1055.long

applause-gif.gif
  • CheeeekyChap
    CheeeekyChap Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Interesting, you trust stuff that's published by a government.

There's a lot of interesting books out there about the food industry, sugar and the people in the government that own the companies, and drug companies pushing America's obesity epidemic. Lifelong "treatable" diseases such as diabeties are big bucks.

It's obvious you have lost a lot of weight using Macro's, that's great.

Thanks for the links.

I'm still looking to speak to someone that is currently on a low carb/high fat diet and that has tried Citrulline Malate.

I'm not that interested in any other conversation.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

There's a lot of interesting books out there about the food industry, sugar and the people in the government that own the companies, and drug companies pushing America's obesity epidemic. Lifelong "treatable" diseases such as diabeties are big bucks.

Thanks for the links.

I'm still looking to speak to someone that is currently on a low carb/high fat diet and that has tried Citrulline Malate.

No, you are only interested in talking to someone that agrees with you.

Next thing, you will be starting a thread about how everyone on MFP are a bunch of meanies.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options

Thanks for the links.

The NIH is one of the most unbiased resources out there. What I don't trust is a person who writes a book to sell it and cherry picks studies to validate their claim.
  • CheeeekyChap
    Options
    Ok.
  • CheeeekyChap
    Options

Thanks for the links.

No, you are only interested in talking to someone that agrees with you.

Next thing, you will be starting a thread about how everyone on MFP are a bunch of meanies.

Not quite mate.

I've already openly and publicly said I was wrong and apologised.

I posted a question, if anyone has a reply to it that would be great. Apart from that I'm not interested in engaging in off topic conversations.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Examine.com does a non bias review of all the available research one 100's of supplements. They link to all the research they use to determine whether or not a substance is statistically proven to show any results. The referenced 75 studies on their citulline article. You will have to comb through them yourself is you want to see if any of them pertain specifically to low carb. http://examine.com/supplements/Citrulline/
  • CheeeekyChap
    Options
    Thanks dude, will do.