I Need Help!

Options
In a rut, have lost up to 25 pounds, have gained 6-8 back! So frustrating I can't get it back off! I need some tips, suggestions, tweeks, anything new I can do to shed these pounds!
New snacks, exercises ??

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    It's all about eating less per day then you burn. There's no other way around it. If you weight is not going down over the long run (weeks and months, not day by day) then you are consuming too much food. How much are you trying to lose? You profile picture looks like you are a pretty healthy weight but those can sometimes be deceiving. Also your diary isn't open so It's hard to make suggestions not knowing what you are already doing.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Edit - I read it wrong the first time and thought you'd gained back much more than you had.

You had a setback. No big whup. Just get back on track. :)

If you don't eat fruits and veggies, that's a good place to start. Add as many as you can into your diet. :)

Good luck!!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    In a rut, have lost up to 25 pounds, have gained 6-8 back! So frustrating I can't get it back off! I need some tips, suggestions, tweeks, anything new I can do to shed these pounds!
    New snacks, exercises ??

Do you mind opening your diary? It would help a lot :smile:

I've been bouncing around the same weight (give or take up to 3 pounds) for about 6 weeks now - but I've been through a month long stall before, so I know I'll pull out of it. I know how frustrating it feels. There are so many different factors to consider when giving advice about this sort of stuff.

So my questions are:
    How much do you have to lose total?
    What is your activity level?

If you answer those two questions, and open your diary, I'll do my best to help.
  • anachronicles
    anachronicles Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Switch up your exercise routine! Your body is amazing at adapting to repetitive exercises in order to make them less strenuous, which is great for conserving your energy in everyday activities, but not so great for building lean, calorie-burning muscle. So try switching up your routine, if you do a full body circuit, try an upper-body/lower-body split, or vice versa. Look up "progressive overload" training, where you regularly increase the intensity or difficulty of your exercise regime to keep your body engaged over time. Maybe try a new type of cardio - spin class? HIIT sprints? swimming? Anything that keeps your body guessing is beneficial!

As for food, I would say focus on getting a bit of protein in at every meal to make sure that you're energized and feeding your muscles. My current favourite snack is sweet egg pillows:

2 egg whites
    a dash of sweetner (I use stevia)
    cinnamon (as much as you'd like!)

mix it all up in a bowl and microwave on medium for about 3 minutes, it makes a fluffy, sweet pillow of deliciousness. And with about 7 g of protein an only 34 calories it's a perfect snack when you're craving something sweet. You can make these savory as well of course, try egg whites, sauerkraut, and some sliced deli meat all mixed up and poured into little muffin tins.

Good luck! Feel free to message me for more ideas, I'm just a little short on time at the very moment!
  • jens4thesooners
    jens4thesooners Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not great at keeping up with my food diary on here, so I guess that would be a good place to start. I lost the majority of my weight running, and just making small changes in my diet, but I'm bored with running and once I stopped that, I got lazy..
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm not great at keeping up with my food diary on here, so I guess that would be a good place to start. I lost the majority of my weight running, and just making small changes in my diet, but I'm bored with running and once I stopped that, I got lazy..

That would be a great place to start! If you don't know what your calorie intake is, it's hard to know how much to eat. You need to eat less than you burn in order to lose weight. So it's important to track both!
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Logging accurately is the way to go.

Also, running is not the be all end all of exercise (says someone who runs 4-5 times a week). If you are looking for long term success interval training and strength training might be where it is at for you. Find something you can stick with as far as exercise and you'll be happier for it.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Well you have identified the problem. You simply need to be diligent with your logging. Establish a baseline of calories you consume per day. Once you have that, reduce that number by about 10% and see if weight loss occurs.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Vismal beat me to it. You are eating more than you burn. You dont even know how much you are eating > start logging and making sure you are in deficit= weight loss.

Get friends if you cant trust yourself and wont log your food. The calories give you a very ood idea whether you will gain or lose.