Cannot stop gaining and binging after weight restoration

Options
Hi,

I previously suffered from Anorexia Nervosa and got to a really low weight 57 lbs at 4'11.

However, I started eating after a psychiatrist threatened to send me to hospital. However, the normal eating devolved into binging within a few days. I started binging on 3000-4000kcal per day for a month and gained 22 lbs.

Since then, I have tried to eat a normal diet of 1200 - 1500 kcal. Unfortunately, I had not stopped gaining at all and continued to gain another 11 lbs in 2 months. Oftentimes, 1200 kcal is too low for me and I end up bingeing, but none of my binges have exceeded 1800 kcal. I am now weight-restored with a BMI > 18.5 (87 lbs, 4'11).

My doctor told me I should stop gaining weight so fast. Also, coming from a "thin" Asian family, I am now fatter than all of my family members (my mom and sister are both 82 lbs despite being taller than me).My mom is starting to comment that I am getting "fat" again. However, I find it impossible to control my diet because whenever I try to eat a little less I get a strong feeling of "desperation" and binge the next day.

I am terrified of feeling hungry, but I am also terrified of looking the way I look now (short and fat) and getting comments that I am "eating too much" or "getting fat". Hence, I was wondering if anyone is able to answer the following questions:

1. Why am I still gaining weight on 1200-1500 kcal a day? I am gaining at least 1 lb per week. Have I permanently compromised my metabolism from food restriction and excessive exercise?
2. What should I do to maintain a healthy weight without restricting or binging?

Thank you!

Replies

• SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are getting negative feedback from your family. Everyone should complete withhold comments on weight and think "HEALTHY". Shame on them.

Do you exercise at all? I imagine you have very little muscles because your body burned all of it's fat stores and had to consume muscle. Find some proteins that you really enjoy (nuts, nut butters, seafood and other meats, legumes/beans) and try to get 1g per LEAN pound of body weight every day. Which for you would probably be almost all of your weight - aim for 80-90grams.

What are you binging on? If it's high sugar, simple carbs, they will do that - they actually have addictive qualities and it will take a few days of little or no processed carbs to get over that.

The protein and healthy fats will help keep your blood sugar stable throughout the day and you'll be less likely to binge. You can also get in the habit of having a glass of water every time you want to eat something. Tell yourself you can eat something in 10 minutes. Have the glass of water and go do something. If you are really hungry, in 10 minutes you can have something. This will train your brain to know that you WILL have food - don't feel deprived, just wait 10 minutes. Be OK with a little hunger.

Keep seeing both your doctor and your psychiatrist to address the emotional and psychological issues that are heavily influencing your relationship with food and your body.

Do you have body dysmorphia? If you can be honest about your looks (or even get a friend to help) find a photo in a fitness or health magazine of a body that you think is attractive. Have a friend take a photo of you in a similar pose and attire. Put them beside each other. Your friend can help you see that you probably have a lot of muscle to build but not any fat to loose.

This is why your doctor is concerned. Putting on some fat is good! You need to be about 20% body fat to look your best. But muscle tone is important to make pretty body lines. It is also very dense - much denser than fat. So a very fit, thin person can weight 20 pounds more than someone such as yourself but actually wear the exact same size while someone with very little muscle tone can be "skinny fat" - be flabby while still being in a relatively small clothing size.

Ask your family to stop commenting. Remind them that you struggled with your weight and body issues before and really need to focus on being in good health!
  • Amym26
    Amym26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    This just breaks my heart with the comments you are receiving from your therapist and your family. It's so damaging when you are in such a fragile state. I don't feel qualified to tell you what you should do, however would it be possible to find another therapist? Is the one you are seeing someone who specializes in eating disorders? With a BMI of 18.5 there is no possible way you are "short and fat". It's body dysmorphia and I've had that as well.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    My mom is starting to comment that I am getting "fat" again. However, I find it impossible to control my diet because whenever I try to eat a little less I get a strong feeling of "desperation" and binge the next day.

I can't believe your mom would say that to a recovering anorexic. Horrible.
    That said, the best way to feel full on less food is to eat a lot of vegetables, some meat, and very few carbs. Sometimes I make myself a giant salad with Newman's Own low fat sesame dressing, a whole bag of arugula, and chopped veggies of all kinds. By the time I'm done, I'm sick of chewing without having eaten too many calories. Throw in some hardboiled eggs or chicken and you won't be hungry for a while.
    Know that carbs, delicious and wonderful that they are, rarely satisfy.
    Finally, accept the fact that you may just have to be 100 lbs for a while. It's not the end of the world. I bet you will look quite nice at 100 lbs and feel better too. Honestly, BMI is not good for short (or very tall) people.

Seriously, do these people look fat to you?

http://www.mybodygallery.com/search.html?gender=female&height=150&age=any&weight=45&pantSize=any&shirtSize=any&bodytype=
  • alee145
    alee145 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am truly sorry that your family, in the past and present, projects their own sense of negative self-image on you. PLEASE recognize that they are SEVERELY insecure, and want you to also be SEVERELY insecure with them. at 80 lbs, you are not fat, TRUST ME. If you, however have a problem with gaining too fast, just eat healthier. I'm overweight by a long shot, and even when I lose 5 lbs, I want to eat a huge brownie sundae. It's normal to want to eat crap, we (as in people who are watching what we eat) just have to learn to eat crap in moderation. I have a ritual. I go to the gym, and when I get home, I eat a spoonful of ice cream. I continue to lose weight. Treat yourself, don't cheat yourself.

I'm not going to go into the hooplah about "you're beautiful, F what they say." because you've already proven that you want to get better by beginning to eat again. Your confidence is already improving. You've clearly demonstrated that you need a boost of esteem, but your mother isn't giving it to you - so stop seeking it from her. There's no way around it, except telling her to shove her opinion up her butt. eat your snacks, just not all at once. The more you abstain, the more you'll want, the more you'll eat. Eat bits and pieces here and there, count your calories, and eat majority nutritious food, listen to your doctor, and ignore your mother.

I guarantee you'll be fine :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    The binge eating is your response to the severe restrictions you had in place when in the throes of the anorexia. Your mind/body go into panic mode when you even think of trying to restrict so I think that for now, you need to keep any ideas of restriction and keeping to specific calorie goals out of your mind, and instead, aim to eat healthy, balanced meals and snacks when you are hungry, including a treat here and there. Your health is far more important than what your family might think, I am aware it is the culture in some places to comment on weight etc quite bluntly.

I do not know why you are gaining, it could be water retention, some of it, and certainly, simple carbs/junk food does tend to put on weight a lot quicker, I have noticed, than more nutritious foods, maybe because it does tend to also cause your body to hold more water.

I would honestly stop counting calories for now, and focus more on trying to listen to your body. Also, look into weight training/strength training of some kind as for some, that is the way out of the eating disordered chaos...it gives a different focus and will also help build you some muscle mass which in turn will help deal with your metabolism, which probably has taken a bit of a hit.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Is it the psychiatrist or a different doctor who told you are gaining weight too fast? I wonder if you would be better off with a different psychiatrist or a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. Shame on your mother for what she is saying to you. I get how that can hurt and I too am the heaviest in a family of stick then women. My mother is Asian as well not that I'm sure if that has anything to do with the rude comments ( cultural differences? ) but yes it hurts!

Anyways have you gone through MFP profile settings to verify what your daily calorie intake should be? Do you measure and weigh your food to be sure you eating 1200 - 1500 calories a day? I also wonder if someone who has previously suffered from anorexia should be weighing her food. I think you need to talk to someone who specializes in this.

*hugs* to you.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    1. Why am I still gaining weight on 1200-1500 kcal a day? I am gaining at least 1 lb per week. Have I permanently compromised my metabolism from food restriction and excessive exercise?
    2. What should I do to maintain a healthy weight without restricting or binging?

Thank you!

1. It's doubtful. More likely you are underestimating what you eat. 1200-1500 calories is not a lot of food unless you are eating mostly lettuce.

2. You need to deal with your food issues. You may need to seek professional help for this. It doesn't sound like the professionals you are dealing with now are helping, so it might be time to look for someone you "click" with.
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    OP, do you live with your mother/family? If not, then the first thing you need to do is...avoid your family for a bit. I have struggled with several eating disorders over time and I wasn't able to 1. accept that I had them and 2. recover until I was away from my family. While I'm not Asian, I grew up in a household with people obsessed with weight.

Your body is still trying to adjust. It's normal for your body to want to store everything it gets because it probably went a while not getting those nutrients. Meticulously counting your calories is a bad idea when you're recovering from an eating disorder. It's making you anxious and causing you to binge. When you do, guilt sets in, plus concern about weight gain. You're dangerously inching towards the binge and purge area.

I'm not a psychologist or a doctor, but I've dealt with this. I would recommend that you stop counting calories, but if you need to...Harris Benedict formula is a good guide to calorie consumption.

Based on the details you gave, your BMR is 1150. If you don't exercise your calorie intake should be at about 1380 to maintain your current weight.

Sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2 = 1380
    Lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375 = 1581
    Moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55 = 1782

Moving onto your doctor's comments. Is it the psychologist/psychiatrist that's saying this or your PHP? If it's the PHP then I would suggest speaking to your therapist about it, give him/her your MDs info, and have them speak to them about your recovery. If it persists, switch doctors. If it's the psych...then I would recommend finding a new that specializes in eating disorders.