Why do without HRM?

Options
The other day I wrote that I practiced 4 hours of heavy gardening and I scored just 1 Kcal consumed in my MFP diary.

Why? Maybe I'm a masochist?
No.

If you choose to go on a diet of 1200 Kcal and intend to rely on MFP to monitor compliance with the limits that you self-imposed, must also realize that the accuracy of the MFP, as used instrument, is not infinite.
It's absolutely useless score that 1 cup of coffee = 1 Kcal. You only lose your time.
And it’s unnecessary worry if you eat 60 or 140 grams of lettuce. It 'does not matter.

So as you must consider that measuring exercise wearing a high-quality hearth-rate monitor (Polar, really!) is absolutely useless. For most of you measuring energy expenditure means a discount on the sacrifices imposed by the diet, since 1200 Kcal could easily become 1600 and 1800 (especially if you also marked the calories expended to do the cleaning or those expended to pee).

However, various studies using different Polar heart-rate monitors have shown that the monitors are very accurate at estimating energy expenditure, but the monitors seem to be the most accurate when measuring the exercise of moderate intensity. But low-intensity and high-intensity exercise have produced less accurate measurements.
There has been concern that the heart-rate monitor may become inaccurate when evaluating exercises that include arm movements: THIS IS PURE TRUTH!
Try it yourself: while you’re running, relax your arms by relaxing the muscles and the heart rate will drop after a few seconds!
Therefore, heart-rate monitors may incorrectly estimate the energy consumption.

Given what has been said, you know very well that if you want to lose weight with MFP there’s one simple way, which, however, will make your life easier: NOT SCORING PHYSICAL EXERCISE.

If you set 1200 calories, eat 1200 calories. Stop.

Do not get discounts. But, of course, DO physical movement. Only in this way you will lose weight!
For physical movement I don’t mean cleaning the house or take a walk, those are crap, I intend to run at least at 12 km/h for 40' or 30 swimming pools or take an hour in the gym seriously (not as many people who just chat with pretty girls and the only muscle that they move is the tongue).

What do you think about?

Replies

• katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understood all of that, but it seems you're saying that people shouldn't eat back their exercise calories.

I don't record exercise calories because I don't think I can count them accurately. However I use a particular calculator that gives me a fairly accurate idea of what I burn in a typical day and then base my daily calories on that.

If I ate 1200 calories and also exercised, I would be a mess. My diet does take into account the fact that I am exercising.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I do not think you understand how the NEAT system that uses MFP works. This may help your understanding

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I think...well know, this is not an EXACT science. There will be margins of error.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I do not think you understand how the NEAT system that uses MFP works. This may help your understanding

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594

Seconded.
    Plus as a male advocating eating only 1200 calories I think you shouldn't be trying to give people advice. There are numerous great sticky threads in the "Getting Started" forum you would do well to read.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I think you need to rethink your statement.
  • Aton17
    Options
    @_Zardoz_: OK, I've read at the link you posted. Very interesting. Thank you.

But I've not understood this thing: what's the matter with 1200 Kcal diet?
  • edisonsbulb
    edisonsbulb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 40lb without a HRM and before the invention of MFP. It doesn't have to be a meticulous experiment.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP and my HRM to log running exercises and eating back calories since June of this year. My weight loss has been on target over that time. It's not exactly X pounds per week right on the money every 7 days, but over time that is the average.

I came to MFP when my weight loss started slowing down, and I learned it was partly due to running daily and not resting, along with too few calories due to not eating back any calories I expended on those daily runs. I was feeling tired and hungry, and while I was still losing weight, it was not at the same rate as before and I could not figure out why, and longer runs did not help either.

Once I "took the plunge" and tried doing it MFP's way, the weight loss started back up again, the hunger went away, and I have more energy for my runs.

Truth be told, I recently wound up "overdoing it" MFP's way in that as I kept losing weight and adjusting my goals based on my new weight, I wound up where I was getting too few calories again due to still setting my goal as 2 pounds per week. In that case the weight loss did not slow down yet, I simply noticed the hunger returning and a loss of energy. I adjusted to a lower weekly weight loss goal to bump up my calorie intake and things are right back on track. I'm still losing weight at the expected rate per my MFP settings, and I have energy again, plus the hunger has gone away.

I've tried it. It works. Why would I doubt it?
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise only to keep track of what I've done for that particular day not to log calories. I'm not one of those "you have to eat back your exercise calories" kinds of people because, well, if I'm not hungry at the end of the day and I have "exercise calories" left over why should I feel the need to force myself to eat? Also I don't believe that any calorie burn calculation will be 100% correct so I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and not eat back something that might not be right.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I agree that it's a good idea to underestimate calories burned. I'm pretty sure most calculators estimate over for me. Please don't discourage me from doing housework. I get so easily discouraged, I'm happier in an orderly environment, it makes my husband happy and it increases my NEAT.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options

My TDEE is about 3000 a day. Eating 1200 would leave an 1800 calorie deficit. Uh no.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

It depends what you mean by a 1200 calorie diet and for whom. The difference in net and gross calories consumed matters.
  • Aton17
    Options
    I try to explain. My English is not perfect, you see, but I hope you can understand all the same. For a 1200 Kcal diet (I'm observing it since 30 days ago) I mean eating - plus or minus - 1200 Kcal on a day with regard for the correct amount of nutrients (30% fat, 50% carbohydrates, 20 %proteins). If I burn 400 Kcal by running or attending a gym I don't score them: this means that (for that day) the net amount is 800 Kcal. I don't eat 1600 Kcal, that day, but always 1200 Kcal.
    I do that because I'm convinced that the food intakes of energy indicated on food labels are overestimated, as well as readings of HRM. In this way I've lost 15,5 lb in a month. What does not work in my reasoning? Is it wrong?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Other than eating far below what a male needs to meet minimum nutritional requirements ... based on a conspiracy theory ...

it's so wrong I can't even try to find a bright spot.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    It is unsustainable. And it will mess up your metabolism. To do it for a very short time I guess is OK, but you will gain it all back unless you find something sensible to do, instead. You can't net 800 calories for a very long time and function.
  • ingehooper
    ingehooper Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know on days when im active/busy and eat less then or 1200cals (say im out all day or doing something where I cant take breaks) and dont eat much I feel weak and terrible. I couldnt do that everyday. Im just following the TDEE mehtod and making sure I do 1-3hrs exercise a week and eat up to 1700cals and it takes alot of worry out of my day. Plus I dont worry about going over my calorie limit as it all evens out especially if im active.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    What you are saying may or may not be true but I think you under estimate the psychological value of an HRM as well. HRM makes my elliptical workouts much more interesting. I set a target rate of 70% Max and go at it for 45 minutes. At the start of each song I set the resistance to a high level and have the machine reduce it to the point that my heart rate is within range. The time goes by fast and I am getting my needed activity.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise only to keep track of what I've done for that particular day not to log calories. I'm not one of those "you have to eat back your exercise calories" kinds of people because, well, if I'm not hungry at the end of the day and I have "exercise calories" left over why should I feel the need to force myself to eat? Also I don't believe that any calorie burn calculation will be 100% correct so I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and not eat back something that might not be right.
    It doesn't need to be 100% accurate or anywhere near 100% to be effective, consistent is good enough unless you are miles out. People simply have to adjust based on actual results which will also address food logging accuracy.

One thing is certain though is that if you allocate 0 calories to your exercise you will be wrong 100% of the time.