Was taking pics motivational for you?

Options
I did not take my pics during weight loss. However I a bit regret it, since I see many pics here and I see a point of doing them. Now my friend is following me and I am trying to help her and motivate her. We're taking pictures motivational for anyone and if so, at which milestones should someone take them? Like every 10 lbs? My friend is probably around 190 lbs and would like to be around 140 lbs.

Replies

• KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yeah, do them every 10 lbs since that's basically a size difference. She'll be glad she has them!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I've taken progress pics every 4wks from starting out. Definitely a bit motivator as you can't always "tell" just looking in the mirror.
  • BoyishGirl
    BoyishGirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I honestly take loads of pictures. More than I probably should but it really is apart of my motivation. It shows me exactly how everything is going and it makes me feel great to compare then and now.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    Right from the start I've tried to take progress pictures every month. It really does help, the camera catches changes that I just can't see when I look in the mirror.
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    During the time I lost around 33lbs I took pictures in a bikini in my bedroom. The first one I had already lost 7lbs so felt pretty great. When I saw the photo hubby took I was gutted! I didn't realise how big I had gotten. For the record I am 5ft 8in and a stone overweight (14lbs). It didn't look good on me at all. Although it made me go from a high to a low, I became more determined to lose the weight. I don't remember how often I took the pics but it was during the weight loss and it became very noticeable. I was also wearing a belt with my jeans at the time and noticed that I kept having to make it smaller and eventually poke my own holes into it to fit me!

My biggest advice to anyone trying to lose a lot of weight is to take photos. I honestly couldn't see the difference by just looking in the mirror. This time round i only want to lose a little weight as I gained some of it back after a few years as I got lazy lol So I'm not taking pics but I am taking measurements this time and weighing every week to keep on track. I didnt calorie count last time but I'm sure I wasn't eating enough then either! I want to be healthier this time round.
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Right from the start I've tried to take progress pictures every month. It really does help, the camera catches changes that I just can't see when I look in the mirror.

Its amazing how the camera does that!
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think every 10lbs or once a month would be fine. I did not take pictures, but I happen to be on a trip before this weight loss where someone took a picture. Therefore, I have a before and now that I'm half way I got my wife to take a picture the other day. I think the before and after pictures affirm your initial decision to lose the weight. I think they probably could be motivational for keeping the weight off in the long run.
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I took pictures every 2 months, and it was incredibly helpful. Sometimes our brains don't catch up with our weight loss, and its so reaffirming to look back at those photos and objectively see the improvement. I honestly wish I had taken pictures every month. I would also encourage taking measurements whenever you take the photos.
  • tayortoeknee
    tayortoeknee Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey - as someone else said, I have taken my progress pics every 4 weeks (besides this summer where I went off the counting etc and still lost 10 pounds!) and they have been WONDERFUL! if you're ever feeling like nothing has changed, there's the plain proof in front of you.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely! I'm taking them every 2.5 stone/ 35lbs since that's a quarter of my overall goal (although I might take them more often when I get smaller as the differences will probably be more noticeable).

After I lost the first quarter I didn't think I looked any different, but reluctantly took new photos anyway and I could really see a difference! Especially in the ones wearing the same dress (others are nude/underwear) - it was way too small in the beginning photos, and whilst it was still a bit too small in the next ones there was clearly a LOT more room in it.

I'm now getting close to my halfway point weight-wise, and I'm excited to see the difference in the next set of photos!
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Helps in comparisons on how far i have come.
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I didn't take progress pics. But pictures that were taken at my biggest WERE motivation, big time.

It was motivating to plan for my Success Story post, knowing how much better I'd look in those pictures.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!