What's the #1 food you crave? (and how do you deal with it?)

Options
jenmar17
jenmar17 Posts: 3,261 Member
For me, I LOVE LOVE peanut butter. Mmm peanut butter. I could eat it all day for the rest of my life. By itself, in stuff, just....yum.

Somehow I've been pretty good at keeping my peanut butter eating in check...just a little bit a few times a week. But when I really crave it, I let myself have it. At least it does have proteins/some healthy fat in it. And I find that if I indulge in a bit of peanut butter when I really want to (put it in my oatmeal, eat it with an apple, etc) it helps me keep my other cravings in check.

Anyone else have a #1 craving food?

Replies

• prncssjnn
    prncssjnn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ice cream! I like skinny cow or no sugar added blue bell. I watch my portions and never deprive myself, or else I will binge.
  • krmthomas
    krmthomas Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    CHOCOLATE! I found Rene Rey Chocolates - No Sugar Added Dark Chocolate Bar with California Almonds. Its sweetened with Stevia and its delicious. It's a large sized bar and its 300 calories which given the size is pretty darn decent.
  • GoingSlightlyMad
    GoingSlightlyMad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My #1 food craving is a constant battle between chocolate and ice cream. I let myself have a little dark chocolate whenever I crave it, and I have frozen blueberries (sometimes with frozen yogurt) when I crave ice cream, they are delicious. :happy:
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Wine.
    I just make room for it in my week and have one or two glasses instead of half a bottle :)
  • GoingSlightlyMad
    GoingSlightlyMad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think we will all agree that the secret to stop craving certain types of food is allowing ourselves to eat moderate amounts of them once in a while... but dang, isn't it hard to have "just a little"? :bigsmile:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,958 Member
    Options
    Where I live it's tomatoes and corn that are at the peak of goodness......so right now I have no control over my consumption of these 2 wonderful treats.......Such a short season too.......breaks my heart.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Fresh bread and/or good, not-too-salty corn chips. I crave chocolate too, but usually only at certain times of the month.

I'm very much accustomed to not eating bread-- I used to make it all the time but make it much more seldomly since I decided to lose weight, and this summer while I've been maintaining, I've been too busy to make bread. My fiance buys locally made sourdough bread, but the bakery we have here often overbakes the type of bread he usually buys, so I don't enjoy it past the first day. So I don't usually have bread to eat if I'm craving it! Chips are more troublesome. . . if I crave them and succumb and buy them on my way home from work, I am capable of eating half a large bag, though normally I have good self-control and only eat a reasonable quantity. There was a stretch in summer when we were having lots of parties and get-togethers and people kept bringing chips-- I think I gained almost a pound in that period just because of the chips! (I was maintaining without logging at the time).

Basically I don't keep the things I crave most around. However, if I really, really want it, I will eat some because deprivation = overeating that food later.

Sometimes I crave meat-- but it's different because I can tell that craving is because of a need for protein or iron, and I indulge it.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't get too many cravings because I don't deprive myself of anything (vegan), but if I don't eat bread for a while then I definitely get a craving for it! Mmmmmmm.... NOTHING like the taste and smell of fresh baked bread :P
  • jenmar17
    Options
    Where I live it's tomatoes and corn that are at the peak of goodness......so right now I have no control over my consumption of these 2 wonderful treats.......Such a short season too.......breaks my heart.

I wish tomatoes and corn were what I crave most. Eat up! (Do vegetable cravings count as "cravings"? lol)
  • jenmar17
    Options
    Ice cream! I like skinny cow or no sugar added blue bell. I watch my portions and never deprive myself, or else I will binge.

Mmm ice cream....with peanut butter!
  • PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Pizza.

I honestly really like the lean cuisine ones- so those help (because I'd honestly eat pizza every day if I could)
    But I also just make room for regular pizza. Then I make a thin crust and do a veggie and chicken heavy, cheese light pizza at home. Also pita pizzas are great.

... did I mention just how much pizza I eat? It's the perfect food.
  • PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Also have you tried pb2?? It's a pretty decent peanut butter substitute. And you can eat tons of it for the amount of calories in 2tbsp regular peanut butter.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Food generally...

Chocolate mostly but I'd probably bash someone in the nuts for a bowl of creamy mashed potato...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Right now, it's oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I deal with it the same as with everything I crave: I have some, log it, and move on.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    My biggest cravings have been for Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds. The craving for Dunkin Donuts is interesting because I never really ate at Dunkin Donuts except for a few times in my life. My craving for McDonalds is not as mysterious, I ate there often, they have delicious food.

I don't have anything against eating at these places if you can fit it in in your calorie budget, but my cravings hit me at night when I'm not going to be going out anywhere.

I probably don't deal with my cravings in the right way. I look up pictures of these foods and admire them in google image searches, and sometimes I'll even go so far as to imagine eating them as vividly as I can.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    For me, it's Nutella - I just have some everyday :smile:
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Chocolate!

I have been doing well until this past weekend. I brought a huge box of chocolate from Godiva to treat myself and I finished them all in 2 days.... was planning for it for the whole week :sad: :sad: :sad: ( I blame it with the change of weather and TOM).

I usually keep some dark chocolate with sea salt in my draw and just eat one or two squares with a cup of hot tea in the afternoon. It has been great, keep my treat around 100 calories and satisfy my craving....
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I also crave peanut butter or anything with peanut butter in it and almonds.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Sushi... it's so good.

I guess I deal with it by only getting it maybe once a month. We go to an all you can eat place... I usually skip breakfast and lunch and enjoy myself :)

Edited to add that since I've started eating sushi it has eliminated any cravings for Chinese Takeout. I feel like craving sushi is much better for me (maybe?) than craving greasy Chinese food!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and chocolate softened in the microwave and mixed together.
    I eat it several times a week.