Healthy & Delicious Soup Recipes!

Options

Replies

• exercise2day2
    exercise2day2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've made this one twice now, and it is delicious! You can add a bit of extra water to lower the calories without losing the flavour. I think I also used a bit less beef than it called for.

http://skinnytaste.ziplist.com/souschef?url=http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/09/beef-barley-soup.html

Beef Barley Soup
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 5 • Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups • Old Points: 7 pts • Points+: 8 pts
    Calories: 336 • Fat: 11 g • Carbs: 27 g • Fiber: 6 g • Protein: 32 g • Sugar: 1.5 g
    Sodium: 453 mg (using 1 tsp kosher salt)

Ingredients:

1 tsp oil
    1-1/2 lbs lean beef round stew meat
    1 cup chopped carrots
    1 cup chopped onions
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    6 cups water
    1 - 2 tsp kosher salt, to taste
    2 bay leaves
    2/3 cup dry barley
    fresh ground black pepper
  • beckyjk90
    Options
    I love brocolli soup! Its so easy. You need:

One clove of garlic, finely sliced
    One onlion, finely chopped
    1.5 litres chicken or veg stock (i use chicken)
    One large brocolli cut into florrets
    2 medium potatoes
    A tbsp olive oil
    Salt and pepper for seasoning.

I cook the oil, garlic and onion until its softened, then add the brocolli and continue to cook for a couple of minutes.
    Add the potatoes, sliced, and the stock of your choice.
    Check the level of water so the mixture doesnt dry out and burn.
    Add seasoning and let simmer for 20 minutes, then blitz with a hand blender!

It makes 5 servings for me, depending on how thick you want it. Sometimes i add a bit more brocolli or you can even add some cabbage or leeks to mix it up. Anything goes :)

And its less than 100 kcal per serving on average :)
  • julesrules92
    julesrules92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is the most delicious soup I've ever eaten:

Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

Ingredients:
    2 cups water
    4 cups chicken broth
    1 lb raw boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 (6 oz) box of Long Grain & Wild Rice (Uncle Ben’s)
    1 cup sliced carrots
    1 cup sliced celery
    ½ cup flour
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon black pepper
    1 stick (8 tablespoons) light butter
    2 cups fat free half and half

Directions:
    1. Bring the water and chicken broth to a boil in a large pot or dutch oven. Add the chicken, rice (with seasoning packet), carrots and celery and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer for 25-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through and easy to shred. Remove the cooked chicken breasts to a plate and shred with two forks. Replace the lid and continue to simmer the rest.
    2. Mix together the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl until combined. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in flour a spoonful at a time to make a roux. Pour the half and half in a little at a time, stirring continuously with a whisk to allow the roux to combine with the cream. Continue whisking and adding half and half until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
    3. Add the shredded chicken and the cream mixture back into the soup pot and stir to combine. Bring back to a simmer and simmer for 5-10 minutes to allow soup to thicken and flavors to combine.

Yields 10 (1 cup) servings: 212 calories, 19 g carbs, 6 g fat, 15 g protein, 1 g fiber
  • kteachrm
    kteachrm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bump-these recipes sound terrific!!
  • ToryCarr
    ToryCarr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • MLanterman
    Options
    :smile:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I think the frigid weather is the reason why we all want to make soup this weekend! I'm making homemade chicken soup tomorrow. Here is what I do:

Roast a 7-9 lb. roasting chicken, seasoned with olive oil, Thyme, Rosemary, Onion and Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper. Eat half with your family and then take what remains - skin, bones, remaining meat and any juices from the roasting pan and put in a large stock pot. Cover with water and add 1-2 bay leaves, 10 peppercorns. Bring to a boil and then turn low enough to just simmer for two hours covered loosely (not tightly). DO NOT SEASON WITH SALT YET!

Remove carcass from broth and strain remaining liquid into another stock pot. Set chicken aside to cool and then pick all the meat off the bones, tearing into bite size chunks. Don't make it too small as it continues to shred in the broth. It always amazes me how much chicken I get off the carcass. Set meat aside.

If you have the time, cool and refrigerate the broth and then skim hardened fat off the top. If you are in a rush, you can still skim fat off the warm broth with a large spoon. A little fat will add more flavor so leave a small amount in the broth.

Next, chop 3 large stalks of celery and 1 large sweet onion and add to the broth. Peel 4 large carrots and cut into rounds and add to broth. Add additional Thyme, Rosemary and dried Dill. Simmer until the vegetables are almost tender, about 15 minutes. Add 1 cup of rice or ditalini pasta to the broth. Simmer for however long it takes to cook the rice or pasta (I prefer rice because pasta can get soggy when reheated). Finally, add the shredded chicken and heat through. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. If you added too much water to the soup, you can always add a chicken bouillon cube.

I love getting two or more meals out of a chicken! Roasting the chicken first creates a richer broth and better soup than using a raw chicken boiled in a pot.

This makes at least 6 generous bowls of soup if not more. Enjoy!

Sounds amazing
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite soup EVER!!! I cook it up Sunday night and then have it for lunch the rest of the week, you can also freeze it. :)

Spinach Soup
    Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Cook Time: 25 minutes
    Total Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:
    •2 tsp olive oil
    •2 cloves garlic
    •1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
    •3 stalk celery, finely chopped
    •1 medium white potato, peeled and cubed
    •2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
    •2 cups fat-free milk
    •1 six ounce bag baby spinach (I get a bigger bag usually, I like mine thicker)
    •Freshly ground black pepper
    •Turmeric, to taste
    •3 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled

Preparation:
    Cook bacon in a pan, put cooked bacon on a plate of papertowels to soak up the grease, cut up bacon into crumbles and set aside for blending.

Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven. Sauté garlic, onion, celery and potato for 5 minutes.

Add turmeric, chicken broth and fat-free milk. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Stir in half the spinach, cover and simmer for 10 more minutes.

Cool slightly, then transfer soup to a blender, working in two batches if necessary.
    Add remaining spinach and blend (if working in two batches, use half the remaining spinach with each batch). Blend until smooth.

Serves 4
    Per Serving (not including bacon & Turmeric): Calories 113, Calories from Fat 23, Total Fat 2.5g (sat 0.4g), Cholesterol 2mg, Sodium 143mg, Carbohydrate 15.6, Protein 6.8g
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to note that mine is adapted from About.com. :)
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I always make versions of this all fall.
    Roast butternut squash (or kabocha) with garlic, onions, carrots, sweet potatoes, and/or apples with s&p and evoo. Cool and puree with a carton of veg stock. Season more if needed. Garnish with plain yogurt and red pepper flakes.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    save
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I love cream soups in the fall and winter...and I use a basic cream soup ratio...I've made this so many times with varying ingredients, and it's always a hit...

Saute til softened but not browned:
    2T butter (or other fat of choice)
    1 medium onion, finely diced

Add and saute til softened:
    1 lb vegetable(s) of choice

Add and simmer 30 minutes:
    1Q stock of choice

Using a stick blender or working in batches and a food processor or regular blender, puree ingredients til smooth. Strain if desired and return to pot. Finish with 1 cup dairy/dairy substitute of choice. Season with up to 1T seasonings.

My favorites:
    *butter/carrot/veggie stock/lite cream/2tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp white pepper
    *bacon fat/spinach/lite cream/veggie stock/2tsp garlic, 1/2 salt, 1/4tsp nutmeg, 1/4tsp cinnamon
    *duck fat/potato/chicken stock/heavy cream/salt & pepper

i've done this as a full vegan soup with coconut oil, soy milk and veggie stock, and it's a ratio that works really well. If you are freezing it, I recommend leaving out the dairy (i've never had a problem with reheating soups with milk in it, but i've had mixed reviews from other people, so YMMV).
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bump

need to print some of these off !
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Bump, for the cold winter days ahead!
  • forgivensins
    forgivensins Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I saw some recipes for green soup recently and realized in the Caribbean we call that callaloo. I use no specific measurements, just whatever I have. Usually we do spinach, okra, onions, garlic, pepper, salt (optional), other seasonings (whatever you want really, I like parsley, chives etc.), coconut milk (this makes ALL the difference in flavor, I use about a cup) and some type of meat (chicken, pork etc.) I make mines vegetarian and along with lots of spinach, I also add kale, some bits of broccoli (and any other green vegetable you're a fan of should work in moderation, you don't want to overpower the spinach and coconut milk taste) shredded carrots, celery,then I blend it up and it is amazing stuff!
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    NICE... MOUSAKA SOUP Coming Up TY..
    I LOVE soup! I actually have a blog called Soup Spice Everything Nice. http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/p/soup.html You will find lots of soup recipes there. Here are a few:

Southwestern Style Vegetable Soup
    Serves 12; generous 1 cup serving

Ingredients

1-1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 med. onion, chopped
    2 carrots, diced
    2 celery ribs, sliced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
    1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
    2 Tbsp. Masa Harina (corn flour)
    1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
    1/2 tsp black pepper, or to taste
    1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
    1/2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
    1/4 tsp cumin, ground
    8 cups low sodium reduced fat chicken stock
    1 (15 oz) can petite diced tomatoes with chipotle, undrained
    1/2 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed (a scant cup)
    1/2 (15 oz) can corn, drained (a scant cup)
    1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder, or to taste
    Handful cilantro, chopped

Garnishes:
    More cilantro, chopped
    Lime wedges

Directions

Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery, sauté until onion in translucent. Add bell peppers and garlic; continue to sauté until peppers begin to soften. Add Masa and spices, stir to combine. Add stock, tomatoes, beans and corn; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, add chili powder and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes. Turn off heat and add cilantro. Serve with additional cilantro and a squirt of lime for a garnish.

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving: Calories 75.3; Total Fat 2.0 g; Saturated Fat 0.3 g; Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3 g; Monounsaturated Fat 1.3 g; Cholesterol 0.0 mg; Sodium 305.3 mg; Potassium 212.9 mg; Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g; Dietary Fiber 2.5 g; Sugars 1.0 g; Protein 3.4 g.

Italian Style Vegetable Soup
    Serves 12; generous 1 cup serving

Ingredients

1-1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 med. onion, chopped
    2 carrots, diced
    2 celery ribs, sliced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
    1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
    1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
    2 Tbsp. flour
    2 Tbsp. tomato paste
    1 tsp Italian seasoning
    8 cups vegetable stock
    1 (15 oz) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 cup frozen green beans
    1 cup frozen green peas
    1 cup whole wheat penne pasta
    2 cups baby spinach leaves

Optional garnishes:
    Parsley, chopped
    Lemon zest
    Parmesan cheese

Directions

Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery, sauté until onion in translucent. Add garlic; continue to sauté about a minute. Add flour and stir to combine. After flour has cook a minute, add tomato paste. When tomato paste is fragrant, add Italian seasoning, stock, tomatoes and green beans; bring to a boil. Add green peas and penne, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off heat add spinach. Serve with Parmesan or with parsley and lemon zest as a garnish.

Nutrition Facts
    Amount Per Serving: Calories 79.2; Total Fat 2.0 g; Saturated Fat 0.3 g; Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g; Monounsaturated Fat 1.3 g; Cholesterol 0.0 mg; Sodium 857.3 mg; Potassium 239.1 mg; Total Carbohydrate 14.0 g; Dietary Fiber 2.5 g; Sugars 4.5 g; Protein 2.3 g.

Moussaka Soup
    Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients

1 eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch dice
    1 zucchini, chopped
    1 yellow squash, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
    Olive oil cooking spray
    1 lb lean ground beef
    1 onion, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    Salt, to taste
    Black pepper, to taste
    Red pepper flakes, to taste
    1/4 tsp ground allspice
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/8 tsp ground cloves
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1 tsp basil
    1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
    1 medium potato, chopped
    4 cups beef broth
    1 Tbsp brown sugar

Topping:
    1 Tbsp light butter
    1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
    1 cup skim milk
    2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese(plus more for garnish)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/16 tsp nutmeg

Preparation

Preheat oven to 425º. In a large bowl combine the eggplant, zucchini, squash, red bell pepper and olive oil. Toss to coat vegetables with oil. Transfer to a large baking pan coated with cooking spray. Season with salt, black pepper and a little red pepper flake. Bake for 20 minutes.
  • DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    amazing thread!