Tracking calories burned, HRM or Activity Tracker?

Options
Hi all!! I would like your suggestions on what is best, HRM or Activitiy tracker.

I would like to use it to track calories burned throughout the day so that I can more accurately gauge my eating. So far I have been estimating based on info I have found on line. I've been losing weight, but I would like a more reliable way of measuring calories burned.

Most of the posts I've read suggest that an HRM is best for tracking calories burned during a work out. However, I would like something that I can wear all day that will track my calories burned for an entire day, including my exercise.

If I understand correctly, an activity tracker only estimates calories burned based on your movement. My questions is: How can it estimate the intensity of a movement to calculate calories burned?

I've seen so many different options for HRM and activity trackers and combos of the both of them. Can ya'll suggest one that will work best for what I want?

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Activity trackers are worn all day. I have a FitBit. It's essentially a fancy pedometer. If your workouts are step-based a FitBit isn't too bad. This is a good tool for finding activity level. Some people have active days and inactive days. This can help you find an average.

HRMs are designed for steady state cardio. Calorie burn accuracy goes way down for other activities. A HRM with a chest strap compares your resting heart rate against the heart rate while working out. I have a Polar FT4 that I use sporadically for cardio (burns are never that high for me anyway).

Some people use combinations of activity trackers and HRM, or phone apps, or on-line calculations.....they're all estimates.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one and a polar HRM. I use them both.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Im afraid nothing is petfectly accurate. Take a look at Bodymediafit. I think this is supposed to be one of the most accurate trackers
  • cookiekrunch
    cookiekrunch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar HRM. It is easy to read and easy to operate.
  • MsSashaFire
    Options
    I use my Bowflex HRM with chest strap during my workouts, and I wear a fitbit to track activity throughout the day.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit, and it definitely knows the difference between a stroll and faster movements like running.
    In my case, it estimated the same number of calories during exercise videos as a Polar HRM.
  • dreamingofhealthy
    dreamingofhealthy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use the bodymedia one and it is very accurate. I wear it all the time. I just recently started swimming so I got a Polar FT4 HRM, I feel like it might be a little low, but like another poster said.. .HR goes down during some types of work out. so i feel like your still working out even if your HR isnt in the zone!
    I try not to eat back my work out calories either. So I try to be as close to my goal as possible, although i haven't been very close to that lately.. .so i work out harder lol!
  • EconnieJ
    EconnieJ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to continue researching and hopefully will decide upon one by this weekend. :smile: :wink: