should i bench press on my leg days or no?

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    How does one bench press with one's legs?

Seriously though - what is your typical workout schedule? If you just did chest exercises the previous day (which, I'm assuming includes bench presses) then no - resting your muscles after working out is as important as the workout itself.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    This is really up to you... :huh:
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    This question can't be answered without a lot more information. What is your overall training scheme like? What are your goals? You should try and hit all body parts 2-3 times a week in general but again, your specific goals will be important in answering your question.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    You need to look into Starting Strength, Jim Wendlers 5/3/1, or a 5x5 program. They give you all the details on how to get started.

I am currently doing 5/3/1 and with that program I am doing upper body (mostly shoulders) on Mondays, lower body (Deadlifts and assistance exercises on Tuesday, upper body on Thursday (bench press and others) and finally on Friday, lower body again (Squats). He gives you at least a 48 hour break between lower and upper body exercises. This gives your muscles plenty of time to recover.

So according to Jim Wendler, no, you should not be doing bench press on leg day.

With Starting Strength though you do. Because of that I didn't like that program. I am finding myself increasing faster with 5/3/1 versus Starting Strength.
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    BENCH PRESS EVERY DAY

on the real to just go do 5x5 it'll take care of what you do on what days you do it on and what weight you do it at. All you have to do is supply the effort
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    please

Go for it.

I don't have the energy after my leg and back work on leg days. My personal opinion is if I have energy to do upper body stuff, it's because I didn't work hard enough on my leg and back work. I'd consider it slacking. I'm not going to slack.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Do you have arms growing where your legs should be? Then yes.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes because my schedule gets very hectic from time to time and I have to improvise. Like some others have said make sure you have rest days for your muscle groups so you can recover properly.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    What?? :huh: :huh: :noway:
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Well now if you're bench pressing, it's not exactly leg day is it?

That said, if you want to, go for it. Typically as long as a muscle group has 24 hours to rest, you should be okay. So make sure it doesn't butt up against chest day.
  • Rederizer
    Options
    hey ill be honest i really only do arms and curls and some days i do core i havent been doinh legs that much in the last month of going to the gym

idk if i should or what work outs i should do i havent really been trained or what to do but i go for a hour a day

im 230 pounds my goal is to be 170 by june with six pack
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    curls and bench. nice dude.

never squats and deads?

You're leaving a lot of benefit on the table. GL.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    BB_O7f2CEAAlaTm.jpg:large
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not, I leg press on my bench day.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Sheiko does :ohwell: (oh and SS, SL kind of)

Not sure, how many days do you train, should be okay if you're getting rest.

Pick a programme if you're confused.