Strength training at home, what do I need to start?

Options
I searched YouTube and saw a few videos, not sure how good they were. They had at the least dumbells and a mat. What should I have to get started. I have wood and tile floors. I don't have any weights. I have towels and blankets, but not a mat. I am a beginner. I guess if I really like strength training I will look into joining a gym.

Are there any videos you would recommend?

Replies

• jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    All you need to start strength training is your body. Bodyweight exercises are proven to be a great workout, allowing for maximal calorie burn and strength building! Personally, when I don't feel like going for a run or heading to the gym for a lift, I do some of the p90x series.

P90x kickboxing: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/9430359/kenpo_x/
    P90x cario x (a mix of plyometrics, core, kickboxing and yoga): http://www.metacafe.com/watch/9458791/cardio_x/
    P90x plyometrics: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/9410446/plyometrics/

Plyometrics is my personal favorite. AKA jump training, it's a great workout!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I found some routines on nerdfitness that I think I could do and don't require equipment. I am wondering if I should just join a gym or try working out at home. I think I could afford the gym, I just don't want to sign up and not use it.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I don't have time for a gym - I get plenty done @ home.

I'm finishing up P90x3, and it has several strength routines. The stuff over @ nerd fitness is awesome.

As far as equipment, I was thinking long term, since I know it will be a long time before I am able to join a gym for strength training, if ever. I bought:
    - a gym mat from a sporting goods store (it has several 2'x2' sections that piece together like a puzzle)
    - Powerblock dumbbells. Cheaper in the long run than buying individual dumbbells, and they have a bar you can attach to use them like a barbell/plate set
    - pull up bar w/ assist band; I needed this for P90X3, but you really don't necessarily need it for regular strength training, esp in the early phases

That's pretty much it. I second the suggestion about body weight training. It's amazing what you can do w/ the power of your own body, and maybe a couple of 10-15 pound dumbbells if needed.
  • lorib642
    Options
    Thank you.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if you can afford a gym and a personal trainer or a group training class, do that. because learning form and technique will make all the difference. Lots of gyms have intro packages for a discount to see if you like it. It would probably take about 3 months of a consistent effort on your part to see if you like it or not. Don't give up after one day , give it a good honest effort.
  • siobhanmoo
    siobhanmoo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello. I recently started strength training with no equipment. We have wooden floors and a couple of thin rugs (like rag rugs). Bit sore on my shoulder blades sometimes when doing exercises that mean I have to lie on my back, but not excruciating, just a minor inconvenience really (the exercises hurt more!). My husband has just bought a cheap dumbbell/barbell set but I find even the small ones too heavy for some things so up till now I used tins of veg or soup or fruit, or really full water bottles (not full ones slosh annoyingly).
    Also look up fitness blender on YouTube or Google. They have some great body weight/no equipment strength training routines for all levels of experience.
    Hope that helps a bit :)
  • lorib642
    Options
    Hello. I recently started strength training with no equipment. We have wooden floors and a couple of thin rugs (like rag rugs). Bit sore on my shoulder blades sometimes when doing exercises that mean I have to lie on my back, but not excruciating, just a minor inconvenience really (the exercises hurt more!). My husband has just bought a cheap dumbbell/barbell set but I find even the small ones too heavy for some things so up till now I used tins of veg or soup or fruit, or really full water bottles (not full ones slosh annoyingly).
    Also look up fitness blender on YouTube or Google. They have some great body weight/no equipment strength training routines for all levels of experience.
    Hope that helps a bit :)

That helps a lot. Thank you :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    You could get a set of adjustable dumbbells. Look into New Rules of Lifting (for Women or just New Rules of Lifting), All Pro: A Beginner's Routine, StrongLifts 5x5, or Starting Strength, as examples. These can be done at home. You'll have to make substitutions for dumbbells where needed. The Butt Bible is on youtube, and it's a full body workout split up into 2 days upper, 2 days lower, and 2 days whatever cardio you want to do. There are a lot of workouts on BeFit and Fitness Blender. It's just a matter of finding something you like and will stick with. If you don't join a gym, you can find form videos on youtube, and also on exrx.net and bodybuilding.com.

ETA you can get a yoga mat for cheap at TJ Maxx or 5 and Below, if you have those around you.
  • siobhanmoo
    siobhanmoo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just though of something else. We don't have a lot of floor space (particularly as the husband is 6ft4 so lying on the floor doing anything is a bit of a squeeze) (No giggling please) but we found a genius way of getting round that.

For example, if you want to do chest weight exercises like flys (where you would normally lie on your back and raise a weight up above your chest and then out to the sides... I'm not explaining it very well, maybe google it if you don't know what I mean)

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, if you want to do things like that, lie on the bed with your head just on the corner and your feet at the other corner. That way you have more room to lie out and your elbows don't hit the floor. You actually get a slightly better workout on those muscles because your elbows don't have to stop at floor level but can go very slightly lower (am I making sense?) it's not ideal because a bed is a squishy surface, but it works well.
  • ranganayakee
    ranganayakee Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Nice detailed info! Didn't know about Butt Bible!