Is there such thing as good and bad sodium?

Options
I have a problem kind of opposite to most people. I don't get nearly enough sodium in my diet! I naturally have extremely low blood pressure and have even passed out on a few different occasions as a result. My doctors have recommended I up my sodium intake. I don't get enough sodium naturally, but I'm hesitant to eat more fast or processed foods to get it. What are some healthy sources of sodium, short of dumping salt on everything, haha

Replies

• muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Try some REAL (not your typical food store type either) sea salt; seaweed salads, kelp and the like. Those are all very high in sodium. Gatorade should be as well, along with pedialite since its an electrolyte. Depending on your budget, the sea salt and drinks might be more practical than hitting up a sushi bar every couple of days for seaweed salad. :-p
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Sodium is sodium. It's an element on the periodic table. You don't get any more basic than that. However, not all salt is created equal. The most healthy option would probably have to be sea salt. It's got a strong flavor, and it's not processed.

With that said, I think I speak for everyone when I say WOW, why isn't your diary public??? I'd LOVE to see that! :happy:
  • schwarzaj
    schwarzaj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    pickles! cook with teriyaki sauce
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I was in high school. My doctor told me to eat more bacon and drink a cup of coffee every morning. :laugh: It didn't really help, but I was happy in the meantime!
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Sodium is sodium. It's an element on the periodic table. You don't get any more basic than that. However, not all salt is created equal. The most healthy option would probably have to be sea salt. It's got a strong flavor, and it's not processed.

With that said, I think I speak for everyone when I say WOW, why isn't your diary public??? I'd LOVE to see that! :happy:

My diet isn't public because quite frankly I often don't eat all that great (I have a wicked sweet tooth) and people are really critical, and I don't handle criticism very well, even the constructive kind. I know that how I'm eating now is a lot better than how I used to eat, and that's good enough for me.

But as an example, today I just hit 1200 cals and have had 1,259 mg of sodium, when I should probably be getting around 3,000. I almost NEVER get enough sodium unless I go out to eat at a restaurant. Frankly, I don't understand how people's sodium counts are so high when they're sticking to such a low-cal diet!
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I don't understand how people's sodium counts are so high when they're sticking to such a low-cal diet!

Canned soup and boxed meals.

:P
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Canned or frozen soup is extremely high in sodium. I used to work for a very famous soup company, and the main ingredient in most of the soups that we made was salt!
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    cheese, cottage cheese!
    I just discovered today how very much sodium is in cottage cheese. I am supposed to be on a low sodium diet, so this did not fair well for me today.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    cheese, cottage cheese!
    I just discovered today how very much sodium is in cottage cheese. I am supposed to be on a low sodium diet, so this did not fair well for me today.

it makes me sad cottage cheese is so high in sodium. I have to pay attention the rest of the day. I'm looking for one within the 300 mg range instead of 400 mg.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Celtic sea salt is supposed to be one of the best, it has trace amounts of some other minerals including, if I remember correctly, some naturally occurring iodine. It looks weird (grayish) but I can't tell a difference flavor-wise.
  • barbhuddleston
    Options
    Do any of you know what a 'normal' or OK amount of sodium is each day? I do drink the 10-12 cups of water daily, but I just started checking my sodium. Seems high at 1800-1900 mg to me, but thought someone might know what range it's suppose to be in to be healthy?