nursing?

Options
So I've been wondering do I add nursing calories to mfp? I don't supplement. I hear you burn approximately 500 calories a day. Thoughts ?

Replies

• JOLUBUG3
    JOLUBUG3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If so, I wonder how its added. I breast feed only when I am home with baby and pump while at work. He is bottle fed from 6am-1230pm.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    There IS an entry in the database for it. It's approximately 20 calories per ounce of milk produced. It's best to talk to your doctor or baby's pediatrician if you're dieting while nursing because cutting calories too much will cause a decrease in your milk supply.
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Whether pumping or at the breast, you're utilizing calories to make milk. Worry on tight diet for mom is decreased milk supply for baby. I would count the 500 calories.
    Go on La Leche League site for more info.
  • latasharae
    latasharae Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks, I'm not dieting just wanting to learn to eat healthier.
  • skylardevenney
    skylardevenney Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    im wondering the same thing! i know roughly how much i produce bc i was away from baby not too long ago & had to pump for over 24 hours.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    You don't want to go so low in calories that it will interfere with your milk supply. I think that is around 1500-1800. You could consult a lactation consultant.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    To be honest, it is really trial and error. Definitely depends on your body. I lose if I eat under 3000 and I am nursing an 11 month old. Just be sure to eat if you are hungry and watch for any changes in your milk supply if you do start to decrease your cals.