Any cyclists here?

Options
I got into it over 10 years ago when I needed to lose 45 pounds. Running didn't work because of my knees.

When I started cycling, I was going to do it just on the weekends, but after combining the cycling with counting calories, the weight came off at a steady pace. Before I knew it, I was cycling on the weekends and spinning most weekdays. The weight came off in a little over 6 months.

Anyone else using cycling as their primary exercise to help keep the weight in check?

Replies

• clensor1955
    clensor1955 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Last year I primarily cycled and strength trained. I averaged about 100 miles a week, but this year I have added running to my weekly routine. I cycle anywhere from 50 to 100 a week and run 10 to 12 miles a week. The combination of the two have kept me on target with weight loss, and it seems to keep soreness to a minimum. Besides that I really enjoy the way i feel.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of cycling. I used to ride 100-200 miles a week. It is a great way to lose and build a very strong engine!
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few of us actually. There's a couple of groups dedicated to road cycling, cyclocross, etc.

I started riding about 4 years ago, now it's not only my main form of exercise but also my primary hobby. I try to spend about 7-10 hours per week on one bike or another. I'm going to try to incorporate some running and some strength training in as well but so far mostly what I do is ride 5 or 6 days per week.
  • archaeo_logic
    Options
    Cat 3 Road racer here, generally putting in 8-10 hours a week on the bike, although that's winding down now as we head into the off season. I'm a huge fan of the sport at all levels and disciplines.
  • Topgun77822
    Topgun77822 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love cycling. When I first decided to change my lifestyle I tried running....but at 240 pounds my knees felt like they were going to explode! I started cycling, and weight training...the perfect combination for me to loose 60 pounds of fat. Now I find that I have to limit cycling because I literally cant eat enough food (the healthy kind) to keep up with the nutritional requirements of the cycling AND my weight training. Now I primarily weight train and use cycling and/or spinning to keep myself at the level of leaness that I like. By the way...no knee pain with cycling for me. Way to go!
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Raced first three years of college some 27 years back and took a 23 year break (with a few rides here and there). Start back up half hearted for May is Bike Month last year and had a hard time swallowing my pride. Restarted this May and hope to continue on. Riding around 6 hours a week between 70-100 miles.
  • sjanes9
    sjanes9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Off season? Cyclocross man!!! LOL. Just kidding. Cat 3 racer here as well. It's good times for sure.
  • JT_Taylor99
    Options
    I have been riding for 7 years....mainly road rides but have gotten into mountain biking as well. I have done 3 centuries, 3 metric centuries, 3 50 milers and have ridden over 700 miles this summer.
  • kingjethro
    kingjethro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What started out as a means to lose weight turned into an obsession. I've climbed most of the big climbs at the Tour de France in the Alps and Pyrenees over the years and did 3-4 seasons of racing.

The only downside: cars. I got hit 5 years ago, but decided that after recovering that life is too short to walk away from something that you really love.
  • crzdirector
    crzdirector Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I want to cycle so badly...I just haven't learned anything about bikes enough to actually buy one. I need one of you cats to loan me one once a week lol
  • kingjethro
    kingjethro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I want to cycle so badly...I just haven't learned anything about bikes enough to actually buy one. I need one of you cats to loan me one once a week lol

Have you tried one of your local bike stores? Sometimes you'll find one that will rent one you're interested in. In some cases, I've know a few that will let me try one out overnight.